Transferred from AT&T to Sonic; AT&T won't release phone number
g***@gmail.com
2014-04-21 20:07:20 UTC
Hello,

My mother, on my advice, switched from Uverse to Sonic's Fusion service. It's been a horrible experience, with AT&T seemingly trying to screw Sonic over at every turn. The final straw is AT&T won't let her take her phone number. She's had this number for 30+ years.

Sonic told her to call AT&T. The AT&T CSR told her, "You're switching to a competitor..." and said she couldn't do anything.

I there anyone worth complaining to, or do these horrible corporations just get to do what they want?

Thanks,
Greg
Steve Pope
2014-04-21 20:09:39 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
My mother, on my advice, switched from Uverse to Sonic's Fusion service.
It's been a horrible experience, with AT&T seemingly trying to screw
Sonic over at every turn. The final straw is AT&T won't let her take her
phone number.
That shouldn't happen
Post by g***@gmail.com
Sonic told her to call AT&T.
That shouldn't happen either
Post by g***@gmail.com
The AT&T CSR told her, "You're switching to
a competitor..." and said she couldn't do anything.
And that shouldn't happen.

I hope this resolves. Good luck.

Steve
Greg
g***@gmail.com
2014-04-21 20:22:23 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
Post by g***@gmail.com
The AT&T CSR told her, "You're switching to
a competitor..." and said she couldn't do anything.
And that shouldn't happen.
She called Sonic again, and now they are going to "take" the number from AT&T. So maybe things'll be OK after all.

It's a damn shame because she blames Sonic for horrific transfer and wishes she'd just stayed with Uverse in the first place. AT&T lost a customer, but they sent a message that she'll undoubtedly share with her friends: it's not worth the hassle to switch.

Greg
Keith Keller
2014-04-21 21:15:30 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
She called Sonic again, and now they are going to "take" the number from AT&T. So maybe things'll be OK after all.
Yeah, that's what I thought was supposed to happen. I don't think Sonic
should have told your mom to contact AT&T; it should be Sonic's
responsibility to fight with them over the number. (They did that when
I transferred my number many years ago.)
Post by g***@gmail.com
It's a damn shame because she blames Sonic for horrific transfer and wishes she'd just stayed with Uverse in the first place. AT&T lost a customer, but they sent a message that she'll undoubtedly share with her friends: it's not worth the hassle to switch.
Well, to a certain extent this is not totally untrue: it *is* a PITA to
switch, because AT&T resists the small CLECs as much as they can.
Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot we can do to persuade nontechnical
people that it's AT&T's fault, either they believe us or they don't.
(And if Sonic did tell her to call AT&T then they do need to share in
the responsibility for screwing things up.)

One strategy you might use with your mother is to have her reevaluate
her service in a few months. When the pain of switching is in the rear
view mirror, perhaps she'll be convinced that Sonic is in fact better
and that it was worth the pain of switching. (And if it's not
appreciably better then it's a data point that she should share with
Sonic: their migration process from AT&T might need improvement.)

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
g***@gmail.com
2014-04-21 22:39:12 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Well, to a certain extent this is not totally untrue: it *is* a PITA to
switch, because AT&T resists the small CLECs as much as they can.
Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot we can do to persuade nontechnical
people that it's AT&T's fault, either they believe us or they don't.
(And if Sonic did tell her to call AT&T then they do need to share in
the responsibility for screwing things up.)
She understands that AT&T is evil. But after living through 2 weeks of unreliable voice and internet, making a dozen phone calls to support, and waiting at home for 6 tech visits (4 from AT&T; 2 from Sonic), her patience is all but gone.

Having watched this from the sidelines, I'd have a hard time recommending someone make the switch from AT&T to a CLEC. I'm sure this would've been easier if she were coming to Sonic from Comcast.

Greg
David Kaye
2014-04-21 23:38:07 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Having watched this from the sidelines, I'd have a hard time recommending
someone make the switch from AT&T to a CLEC. I'm sure this would've been
easier if she were coming to Sonic from Comcast.
Greg
I'm inclined to agree. When it comes to subscriptions to things I tend not
to be a geek, but an average user. Thus, rather than look for the latest
'n' greatest, I tend to stick with a supplier unless things get so bad that
I have no choice but to switch. This is why I've stuck with Comcast for
over 7 years and Verizon Wireless for 13. The logistics of switching
carriers for things invites disaster, even for simple things.

Case in point which I've told some years ago: I had a client who simply
wanted to move AT&T DSL from one line to another in his house/office because
he was moving his DSL from the back of the house to the front and already
had another number installed there. He called it in a week in advance.
Even that simple change fell on its face because AT&T killed the DSL on the
old number and didn't hook it up on the new one. When I called to report
trouble they told me they had to route it through the SALES office, since
all work orders came from there. It was 4:50 on a Friday afternoon.
Naturally, we were unable to get any action on this until the following
Monday afternoon because sales is closed on the weekends. Oh, and then some
AT&T techie a month later pulled down the cable because he "needed" to use
it elsewhere. Huh? Took another 2 days to get it back up.

And that's WITHIN one company. Imagine the buffoonery of trying to do this
across companies.
Roy
2014-04-21 23:55:05 UTC
My recent personal experience with Verizon.

I put in OOMA and was happy with the service so I ported the number to
OOMA. My wife wanted to keep a landline, so I figured I would just get
a new number and then reduce the services on the line to the minimum.

VZ took the porting as a cancel. I called in on the still working line
and explained what I wanted but they couldn't do it. I had to install
new service. The idiots couldn't even reactivate the old line. They
sent an install team out which routed everything down a new pair. I
use to have a direct connect to the CO. The quality sounds like a VOIP
line.
Steve Pope
2014-04-22 02:30:44 UTC
My recent personal experience with Verizon.
I put in OOMA and was happy with the service so I ported the number to
OOMA. My wife wanted to keep a landline, so I figured I would just get
a new number and then reduce the services on the line to the minimum.
VZ took the porting as a cancel. I called in on the still working line
and explained what I wanted but they couldn't do it. I had to install
new service. The idiots couldn't even reactivate the old line. They
sent an install team out which routed everything down a new pair. I
use to have a direct connect to the CO. The quality sounds like a VOIP
line.
Sorry to hear this. I always have the goal of keeping a true copper
pair if there is one. A "new pair" must at this point always be
faked.

Steve
Jeff Liebermann
2014-04-22 14:59:04 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Having watched this from the sidelines, I'd have a hard time recommending
someone make the switch from AT&T to a CLEC. I'm sure this would've been
easier if she were coming to Sonic from Comcast.
Greg
I have my doubts as to Comcast's ability to port numbers from any
provider, including themselves. Would you believe that going from
Comcast to Comcast was a major problem? One of my customers moved
their business from Scotts Valley to Felton, a distance of about 4
miles. They were on Comcast Business Class in SVLY and were moving to
Comcast Business Class in Felton. In order to retain their 4
telephone numbers, Comcast assigned new phone numbers in Felton,
demanded that the customer pay $5/month(?) per line for "forwarding",
and stonewalled any attempts by me or the customer to remove the
forwarding charges. The customer was told by Comcast that this would
be a temporary arrangement and to call back in a few months to remove
the call forwarding. After 2 months, I called on behalf of the
customer and was told that since it has been 2 months, the arrangement
was permanent and that they have no way to remove the call forwarding
kludge. At the request of the customer, I ceased pounding on Comcast
to fix the problem. I'll be in their building today and will check if
anything has changed.

I have no advice on how deal with number porting from AT&T to Sonic.
I've done it twice going from AT&T to Cruzio Velocity service, which
is essentially the same as Sonic Fusion service. No problems with
porting the phone number from AT&T so far. However, I was warned NOT
to discontinue AT&T service until the new Cruzio service was
established, which may have been the problem.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Steve Pope
2014-04-22 17:10:15 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
I have no advice on how deal with number porting from AT&T to Sonic.
I've done it twice going from AT&T to Cruzio Velocity service, which
is essentially the same as Sonic Fusion service. No problems with
porting the phone number from AT&T so far. However, I was warned NOT
to discontinue AT&T service until the new Cruzio service was
established, which may have been the problem.
I agree that, if at all possible, only issue one order with one
phone company at a time. It is not necessary to contact your
existing phone company when changing to a new one, and doing
so merely gives them the opportunity to mount some sort of
counteroffense.

Steve
d***@95.usenet.us.com
2014-04-23 21:01:06 UTC
It is not necessary to contact your existing phone company when changing
to a new one,
You absolutely must not disconnect the old number, or there is nothing for
the new company to port. They can't port non-existent service.
2014-04-23 23:38:01 UTC
Post by d***@95.usenet.us.com
It is not necessary to contact your existing phone company when changing
to a new one,
You absolutely must not disconnect the old number, or there is nothing for
the new company to port. They can't port non-existent service.
Good point. Exactly.

2014-04-22 02:27:54 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
It's a damn shame because she blames Sonic for horrific transfer and
wishes she'd just stayed with Uverse in the first place. AT&T lost a
customer, but they sent a message that she'll undoubtedly share with her
friends: it's not worth the hassle to switch.
Well, to a certain extent this is not totally untrue: it *is* a PITA to
switch, because AT&T resists the small CLECs as much as they can.
Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot we can do to persuade nontechnical
people that it's AT&T's fault, either they believe us or they don't.
(And if Sonic did tell her to call AT&T then they do need to share in
the responsibility for screwing things up.)
Sonic's business plan revolves around dealing with AT&T so that
you don't have to.

But so far as I know this is an atypical Sonic experience. I wonder
if AT&T has figured out a way to behave yet more badly than was
the case in the past. Tangentially, for months they've been harranguing us
to switch from "normal" DSL to a new product that involves
new premesis equipment. I've been resisting, of course, but
it seems to me they are trying to funk up your wiring so
that a competing DSL provider could no longer hook up.

Steve
b***@MIX.COM
2014-04-21 21:27:35 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
She called Sonic again, and now they are going to "take"
the number from AT&T. So maybe things'll be OK after all.
When I did this, ten years ago, it was prudent to leave the
AT&T service up until after the number was moved, and _then_
tell them to stuff it.

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
bcc 20$ ; not a number
Steve Pope
2014-04-21 22:32:33 UTC
Post by b***@MIX.COM
When I did this, ten years ago, it was prudent to leave the
AT&T service up until after the number was moved, and _then_
tell them to stuff it.
Good point; if you discontinue phone service entirely, the
number might get recycled. (Or even if not, it may be inconvenient
for AT&T to try to retrieve it from the pool of freed-up numbers.)

Steve
g***@gmail.com
2014-04-21 22:50:17 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
Good point; if you discontinue phone service entirely, the
number might get recycled. (Or even if not, it may be inconvenient
for AT&T to try to retrieve it from the pool of freed-up numbers.)
She has not yet cancelled her Uverse service. For a couple of days she was getting data via Uverse (the Sonic modem couldn't establish a link) and phone service via Sonic. Even today, a call to the old number rings forever with no "The number you have reached..." message.

Greg
d***@95.usenet.us.com
2014-04-22 00:15:21 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Sonic told her to call AT&T. The AT&T CSR told her, "You're switching to
a competitor..." and said she couldn't do anything.
That's true. AT&T can't give the number to someone. The gaining CLEC has
to take it.

In recent years, I have switched carriers several times for my home line
without the slightest glitch.