PBS Videos: United States of Secrets, Parts 1 & 2
2014-05-27 08:02:33 UTC
Another big thanks to Elijah for mentioning the youtube-dl program!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/government-elections-politics/united-states-of-secrets/how-the-u-s-govt-turned-silicon-valley-into-a-surveillance-partner/

procyon bash 2970/2973> youtube-dl http://video.pbs.org/video/2365245528
[PBS] 2365245528: Downloading JSON metadata
[download] Destination: United States of Secrets (Part One)-2365245528.mp4
[download] 100% of 223.36MiB in 01:05

procyon bash 2970/2973> youtube-dl http://video.pbs.org/video/2365251169/
[PBS] 2365251169: Downloading JSON metadata
[download] Destination: United States of Secrets (Part Two)-2365251169.mp4
[download] 100% of 144.78MiB in 00:42

procyon bash 2970/2973> ll
total 376984
-rw-r--r-- 1 thad thad 463 May 27 00:12 download.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 thad thad 234205517 May 13 10:30 United States of Secrets (Part One)-2365245528.mp4
-rw-r--r-- 1 thad thad 151810444 May 21 08:29 United States of Secrets (Part Two)-2365251169.mp4
-rw-r--r-- 1 thad thad 1003 May 27 00:07 URLs.txt

Frontline: United States of Secrets, Part 1 - PBS Video
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365234896/
Aired: 05/13/2014
0:00:30
==>Expires: 05/13/2014
Rating: NR

Frontline: United States of Secrets, Part 1 - PBS Video
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365245528
Aired: 05/13/2014
1:54:11
Rating: NR

United States of Secrets, Part 2 - PBS Video
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365251169/
Aired: 05/20/2014
0:53:41
Rating: NR
FRONTLINE continues the dramatic inside story of mass
surveillance in America with Part Two of United States
of Secrets, an investigation into the hidden relationship
between Silicon Valley and the National Security Agency.

VLC plays both videos just fine.

Thad
Eli the Bearded
2014-05-28 19:02:30 UTC
Another big thanks to Elijah for mentioning the youtube-dl program!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/
procyon bash 2970/2973> youtube-dl http://video.pbs.org/video/2365245528
[PBS] 2365245528: Downloading JSON metadata
Thanks, I wanted to watch that anyway, but didn't realize getting it
would be so easy. Did you know you can put multiple URLs on one command
line and it will get them all? I got both parts in one action.

Elijah
------
youtube-dl can also get entire youtube playlists
Bhairitu
I don't think it can do DASH video streams though. Have you tried that?
Eli the Bearded
2014-05-28 19:47:14 UTC
Post by Bhairitu
Post by Thad Floryan
Another big thanks to Elijah for mentioning the youtube-dl program!
VLC plays both videos just fine.
I don't think it can do DASH video streams though. Have you tried that?
What is "it" in your sentence? Vlc or youtube-dl? I've seen dash mentioned
in youtube-dl output when listing available formats. I've never attempted
to download and play dash. I use mplayer as my default video player. It's
pretty rare for me to find anything mplayer won't play. I've tried vlc,
but found it less reliable.

Elijah
------
once did have a system where vlc was better than mplayer for dvds
Bhairitu
2014-05-29 17:55:16 UTC
Post by Eli the Bearded
Post by Bhairitu
Post by Thad Floryan
Another big thanks to Elijah for mentioning the youtube-dl program!
VLC plays both videos just fine.
I don't think it can do DASH video streams though. Have you tried that?
What is "it" in your sentence? Vlc or youtube-dl? I've seen dash mentioned
in youtube-dl output when listing available formats. I've never attempted
to download and play dash. I use mplayer as my default video player. It's
pretty rare for me to find anything mplayer won't play. I've tried vlc,
but found it less reliable.
Elijah
------
once did have a system where vlc was better than mplayer for dvds
It is youtbube-dl though VLC can't assemble a DASH encoding either. DASH
= Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP. It sends out streams in small
files and can switch files to accommodate changes in the bitrate due to
network congestion. This is why a Netflix movie may start at a dreadful
240p then ramp up to 1080p by the 30 second point. Other services use
it but may buffer before playing so the presentation starts in HD
(VUDU's HDX for example).

David Kaye
2014-05-28 20:20:20 UTC
Haven't seen the programs yet, and may not because I'm wondering what's new
or interesting. The government spies on its people. This isn't new.

The people lost the confidence in the American government wayyyyy back in
1962 or whenever it was. The U.S. swore up and down that there were no spy
planes flying over the Soviet Union. Then a U2 spy plane was shot down over
the Soviet Union.

So, the American government lied. All governments lie. All governments
spy.

A case in point was the Air France flight where executives from General
Electric discovered that their complimentary pillows were bugged with radios
so that the French could know what GE was up to. Why? Well, GE does a lot
of work for the U.S. government.

Spying on Americans? Well, considering that people who were in the U.S.
legally managed to orchestrate the destruction of two of America's tallest
and most symbolic buildings in a matter of minutes should give people pause
to ask what can be done to prevent it from happening again.

Privacy? That went out when Sergei Brin asked, "Privacy? We don't worry
about that. There is no privacy anymore." He has since stopped saying
that, knowing that while such sentiment may fly in his home country, the
Soviet Union, it doesn't fly among Americans who still believe in the
fantasy of privacy.

2014-05-28 22:13:41 UTC
Haven't seen the programs yet, and may not because I'm wondering what's new
or interesting. The government spies on its people. This isn't new.
[...]
Hi David,

Part 1 has some fascinating background material and interviews
with the actual CIA and other people.

Part 2 reveals which Silicon Valley companies are complicit
(knowingly or not) with the NSA.

CEOs of said companies frequently host POTUS in their homes for
fundraisers, etc. I recall one picture at SFGate regarding a
dinner in Woodside where fecebook's CEO sat immediately at POTUS'
right and Steve Jobs sat immediately at POTUS' left; see pix here:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Obama-dines-with-tech-stars-of-Silicon-Valley-2529458.php

When browsing the photo gallery at the above URL, skip over the
video thumbnails because the videos have been removed; if you simply
click [Next] to advance within the photo gallery it will stall at
each now-missing video.

Oddly, SFgate has no article with pictures from the recent dinner at
the Yahoo CEO's home with POTUS and other Silicon Valley "luminaries".