Which DSL modem: 4100 or HSA300-A2?
default
2014-11-13 06:27:36 UTC
Which modem should I use?

I've been using a BroadMax HSA300A-2 for years.
Today my office mate offered me his old Speedstream 4100, which I
accepted so I would have a backup. (He was forced to convert to UVerse by
his ISP -- no extra charge!) I tried it and it works, after I figured out
how to reconfigure from ATT/PPPoE to work with DSL Extreme. I left it
going to see how it holds up. Since it's always on, I'm wondering which
one is more economical to run. They both seem to have similar power
consumption ratings, around 6 watts, but the Speedstream seems to run
noticeably cooler to the touch, so I figure that would be the preferred
one. Does anyone have any solid, actual, power consumption data? Is there
any reason other than power to use one vs. the other? A modem's a modem,
right? Or is it?

TIA
-- Joel
Jeff Liebermann
2014-11-13 18:28:12 UTC
On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 06:27:36 GMT, default
Post by default
Which modem should I use?
Use the 4100. I'm not familiar with the Broadmax, but I use
SpeedStream 4100 modems for most of my current DSL customers. What I
like most is the reliability. They don't crash, overheat, hang, or
die from bulging capacitors (unlike the later 2210-02-1022
abominations). My only problems have been blowing up the 12v power
supplies. I'm not sure if this one of those, but it's typical of the
switching flavor:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Motorola-2210-02-PS.html>
The less efficient, heavier, but more reliable transformer type seem
to last longer.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
default
2014-11-14 07:14:51 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
The less efficient, heavier, but more reliable transformer type seem to
last longer.
Hey, Jeff. Thanks for the benefit of your experience. I'll take your
advice. The wall wart that came with it (from my office mate, not sure if
was the original with the modem) is not a switcher. It's actually running
warmer than the modem! The original 6V non-switcher that came with the
Broadmax died, and I've been using a 5V flea-market switcher with it,
which seems to work OK. I prefer a switcher to save a little energy, but
I've not seen many 12V switchers. I can live with an occasional failure
if I can find cheap ones at the flea market. But not a big deal, either
way.

I enjoyed your photos.
David Kaye
2014-11-13 23:42:10 UTC
Post by default
Which modem should I use?
Probably the 4100. It's very reliable. Since it runs cooler it's not
underbuilt. Beware any electronic equipment that runs hot because it means
it's running at or near the top of its ratings; not good.

default
2014-11-14 07:17:28 UTC
Post by default
Which modem should I use?
Probably the 4100. It's very reliable. Since it runs cooler it's not
underbuilt. Beware any electronic equipment that runs hot because it
means it's running at or near the top of its ratings; not good.
Thanks, David. I'll follow yours and Jeff's suggestion. It matches my
instincts, too.