Low Cost Meraki Substitute?
2014-08-14 20:41:31 UTC
The cafe is getting pissed off because Meraki's support is so bad. They
reconfigured something or other and now their time clock doesn't work.
Something seems to break whenever the Meraki guy is in town.

Owner asked me for a low-rent Meraki substitute.

Actually, the ONLY reason he's paying $100+ a month for their router is to
be able to get a splash screen when people access his free wi-fi. He
basically wants to be free of liability issues over illegal streaming.

One of the fixes I recommended is a simple timer to turn a vanilla access
point off and on. Turn it off when the cafe is closed; turn it on for a
couple hours or so and turn it off for 15 minutes throughout the day (to
eliminate the people who park with their laptops all day).

But it would be nice to have something that puts up a splash screen on the
customer's browser when they first access the free wi-fi. I'm looking for
simple product and simple configuration here.

2014-08-14 20:52:30 UTC
[...]
Mikrotik RB951Ui-2HnD. List price $60

Software is

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Hotspot_Introduction

You can use the "trial" system. This could be set up to allow a user a
few hours of access.
David Kaye