How to rescue your PC from ransomware
2014-01-16 15:01:26 UTC
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2084002/how-to-rescue-your-pc-from-ransomware.html
David Kaye
2014-01-16 22:47:26 UTC
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2084002/how-to-rescue-your-pc-from-ransomware.html
I still haven't had any of my 600+ past customers report any problems with
CryptoLocker, the worst of the ransomware. I've had about a dozen with the
"FBI virus", which doesn't encrypt.

I have a Google News alert set for CryptoLocker, and invariably the stories
are reporting businesses, not home users having problems with it. I suspect
that servers are not being maintained very well if this kind of thing can
sneak in. I mean, heck, major companies have been hit by it. Are the
sysadmins of major companies using the Dilbert playbook and spending their
days walking around with coffee cups instead of actually working?
Thad Floryan
2014-01-17 02:34:54 UTC
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2084002/how-to-rescue-your-pc-from-ransomware.html
I still haven't had any of my 600+ past customers report any problems with
CryptoLocker, the worst of the ransomware. I've had about a dozen with the
"FBI virus", which doesn't encrypt.
I have a Google News alert set for CryptoLocker, and invariably the stories
are reporting businesses, not home users having problems with it. I suspect
that servers are not being maintained very well if this kind of thing can
sneak in. I mean, heck, major companies have been hit by it. Are the
sysadmins of major companies using the Dilbert playbook and spending their
days walking around with coffee cups instead of actually working?
Hi David,

*B*I*N*G*O* You hit the nail on the head with the last sentence.

I've seen that, too, since 2000 and moreso since "smartphones"
became commonly used all day long instead of people working. I
see it as employee theft and a reason for immediate dismissal.

Thad
Marcus Allen
2014-01-18 00:46:49 UTC
[...]
You could dismiss everyone who uses their smartphone at work, but don't do
it all at once. You need someone to turn out the lights.
Thad Floryan
2014-01-18 01:12:39 UTC
Post by Marcus Allen
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2084002/how-to-rescue-your-pc-from-ransomware.html
[...]
Are the
sysadmins of major companies using the Dilbert playbook and spending their
days walking around with coffee cups instead of actually working?
Hi David,
*B*I*N*G*O* You hit the nail on the head with the last sentence.
I've seen that, too, since 2000 and moreso since "smartphones"
became commonly used all day long instead of people working. I
see it as employee theft and a reason for immediate dismissal.
You could dismiss everyone who uses their smartphone at work, but don't do
it all at once. You need someone to turn out the lights.
Heh, that would be me. I don't have a "smartphone" and have no
intention of ever buying one. Here are the 3 phones I had since 1992:

And, yes, I have been called early in the morning to come in and
shut companies down several times, the last was 31 March 2008 which
I thought was a day-early April 1 joke, but it wasn't -- it was a
company at The Crossroads complex in San Mateo (Hwy 92 and US 101).

Thad
Mr. Allen
2014-01-22 03:16:20 UTC
Post by Marcus Allen
You could dismiss everyone who uses their smartphone at work, but don't do
it all at once. You need someone to turn out the lights.
And, yes, I have been called early in the morning to come in and
shut companies down several times, the last was 31 March 2008 which
It makes sense to protect data from smart phone infection, but if
there's not a prohibitive threat from that, allowing either an unpaid
or paid one hour of personal smartphone use per day
(non-transferable, non-banked) would be compatible with today's
people. Otherwise, your company becomes matchmaker and pimp and mom
and dad, and better cook good food and be good in bed and like the
same movies and TV, because without the smartphone the workers will
not have a home life.