inbox.com - annoyance or dangerous?
jcdill
2012-05-02 06:15:44 UTC
My dad managed to get fooled into installing the inbox.com toolbar on
firefox on his Mac. I just removed it for him. (Thank goodness for
remote logins!) Is this a dangerous "add-on" that does dirty things
like sniff passwords, or just an annoyance? Should I be making him
change all his passwords, etc?
NoOp
2012-05-02 20:04:15 UTC
Post by jcdill
My dad managed to get fooled into installing the inbox.com toolbar on
firefox on his Mac. I just removed it for him. (Thank goodness for
remote logins!) Is this a dangerous "add-on" that does dirty things
like sniff passwords, or just an annoyance? Should I be making him
change all his passwords, etc?
Google/DuckDuckGo on xacti.com and 561-989-7400/561-989-7401 &
64.135.77.80. Then you decide :-)
1st Red Flag:
o Boca Raton, Fl address
You might want to check his credit card statements, phone bill etc.,
carefully for the next few months. Watch for $9.95 membershit charges;
Nuvalife, discountbooks, etc.
jcdill
2012-05-03 16:07:23 UTC
Post by jcdill
My dad managed to get fooled into installing the inbox.com toolbar on
firefox on his Mac. I just removed it for him. (Thank goodness for
remote logins!) Is this a dangerous "add-on" that does dirty things
like sniff passwords, or just an annoyance? Should I be making him
change all his passwords, etc?
Google/DuckDuckGo on xacti.com and 561-989-7400/561-989-7401&
64.135.77.80. Then you decide :-)
Can you explain the connection between those and inbox.com?
o Boca Raton, Fl address
That - alone - isn't going to give me worry. I need something more
concrete.
You might want to check his credit card statements, phone bill etc.,
carefully for the next few months. Watch for $9.95 membershit charges;
Nuvalife, discountbooks, etc.
Will do. Thanks!

jc
NoOp
2012-05-03 17:55:21 UTC
Post by jcdill
Post by jcdill
My dad managed to get fooled into installing the inbox.com toolbar on
firefox on his Mac. I just removed it for him. (Thank goodness for
remote logins!) Is this a dangerous "add-on" that does dirty things
like sniff passwords, or just an annoyance? Should I be making him
change all his passwords, etc?
Google/DuckDuckGo on xacti.com and 561-989-7400/561-989-7401&
64.135.77.80. Then you decide :-)
Sure:

http://www.inbox.com/
"© 2012 Inbox.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Inbox.com, Inc. is part of
the Xacti Group Companies."

http://xacti.com/products/InboxToolbar.aspx
"Inbox Toolbar search box delivers fast results from top search engines.
Plus, we make it easy to find information on the Web with three
different ways to search, just pick the preferred way. There’s plenty of
add-on buttons to choose from that makes the user experience more
entertaining, safer to Web surf and more productive.

toolbar.inbox.com"

http://xacti.com/contact/
"Telephone: 561-989-7400
Fax: 561-989-7401 "

$ host inbox.com
inbox.com has address 64.135.77.80
inbox.com mail is handled by 10 inc.inbox.com.
inbox.com mail is handled by 100 my.inbox.com.

Like I said... you decide.
jc
b***@gmail.com
2014-09-04 13:37:54 UTC
Post by jcdill
My dad managed to get fooled into installing the inbox.com toolbar on
firefox on his Mac. I just removed it for him. (Thank goodness for
remote logins!) Is this a dangerous "add-on" that does dirty things
like sniff passwords, or just an annoyance? Should I be making him
change all his passwords, etc?
I could not uninstall this program.
HOW DID YOU DO IT.