Swann Viewing Problems
2014-09-27 21:54:57 UTC
Okay, I know that for TV dongles there are alternatives to the software that
comes with the dongle because there are some standards established
somewhere.

Is this true of Swann and other brands of security cameras? I've hooked a
new controller up to old cameras and the cameras work fine, so I know there
are *some* kind of standards in security cameras. But how about viewing?

Swann is driving me crazy with Android apps (one loads and the other one is
incompatible with my tablet) and with PC viewers. I can't connect remotely
from anywhere, but I'm not sure if it's the fool Meraki system that's
installed in the customer's premises or if the stupid software doesn't work.

I happen to LOVE Swann's security camera equipment, but their documentation
is so limited, even though in their documentation they speak correct English
and even joke around.

I'm wondering if there is open source security camera viewing software out
there.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Yes, I know about doing Google searches, but what I've come
up with is all about turning your webcams into security cams and such. I
already have the excellent Swann controller. Four of the cameras are
plugged in and it's been recording and playing back and all that. What I
need is something that interfaces with the system remotely. I've set up a
DDNS account, but when I try to log into it I get a "Comcast Business" login
page. I'm thinking it's Meraki that's holding up things, but I'm not sure
how I can tell, since the vendor doesn't allow me to access Meraki's admin.

2014-09-28 03:45:18 UTC
[...]
I'm wondering if there is open source security camera viewing software out
there.
[...]
Hi David,

There is only one best and free and open source solution: Zoneminder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZoneMinder

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Documentation

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility_List

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ

and the best security system video hardware is available here:

http://store.bluecherry.net/

There's a live CD to check things out:

Bluecherry's Zoneminder Live CD
http://sourceforge.net/p/zoneminder-cd/wiki/

Use the best -- why struggle with the rest?

I have not personally used Zoneminder or purchased from BlueCherry
but my colleagues who designed/installed security systems over the
years all swear by Zoneminder and BlueCherry -- they'd be installing
the security gear while I installed all the networking gear to put
companies on the 'Net and everything worked 100% reliably for years
at multiple installations (which have all gone belly-up much like my
last two clients/employers which I wish I could have "liberated" all
their gear for use at my home but the liquidators said "NO!" since
they were charged with auctioning everything). :-)

Thad
Bhairitu
2014-09-28 22:35:22 UTC
[...]
(Hopefully buggy Teranews will work today)

I installed a Swann DIY system myself this last week. I wasn't up for
any cobbling together something open source. The system is P2P but
worst part of the installation is getting power to the camera. Until
one can power a camera with a small solar panel that will remain
difficult for the non-home putterers.

The Android app works fine except sometimes has a little problem serving
me that event videos that are archived when away from home. The
app has no problem displaying the real time video.

This is the system:
http://www.swann.com/us/swadw-410kit
Bhairitu
2014-10-03 18:33:32 UTC
Post by Bhairitu
Post by David Kaye
[...]
Funny thing is that a spider had decided my camera is just a peachy keen
place to put a web. Doesn't create a problem during the day but at
night it can set the motion detector off. So I have to daily brush
around the camera but this probably won't continue once colder weather
sets in.