VZW Roaming Charges
2014-04-21 22:07:53 UTC
Whoa! I just knew it would happen once Verizon bought the rest of VZW from
Vodafone. Now, VZW is part of America's worst-run telco instead of being
one of America's best wireless carriers.

Suddenly I get an automated call from Verizon Wireless saying that my bill
has outstanding charges and that I should pay immediately. Huh? I go
online and look at the bill: $71 of roaming charges. Eh? I have the All
California plan that allows me to make calls from any nook or cranny within
California without roaming charges. And during the billing period I never
left VZW's local service area in the first place!

Talked to "Steven" in Tucson who took about 15 minutes to figure out what
was going on. "We switched to a new billing system that didn't have your
OLD PLAN set up properly." The hint was that I should switch to some other
plan.

Good ol' Verizon: Bait and switch, and bill people for the wrong service.
Talked to a friend in Novato who is on VZ's landline service. "Yup! That's
Verizon for you..."

Goodness knows what errant billing they're doing for 4G and other popular
services...
Roy
2014-04-22 00:05:05 UTC
[...]
I think you are jumping to conclusions. Verizon and Verizon wireless
are still separate entities. I get two bills from them: landline and
wireless. I have two userids and passwords for their website to get me
into the right company web pages. I use to get one bill but when I went
to OOMA and had different landline, they no longer have "OneBill".

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

BTW AT&T is just as bad. I have a client where they just had AT&T's
managed T1 service installed. The T1 doesn't talk to the router. The
T1 people says its the router and the router people say its the T1.
The router people are in Slovenia so it makes it even more difficult.
Been this way for two weeks.
sms
2014-04-22 00:26:10 UTC
On 4/21/2014 5:05 PM, Roy wrote:

<snip>
Post by Roy
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
BTW AT&T is just as bad. I have a client where they just had AT&T's
managed T1 service installed. The T1 doesn't talk to the router. The
T1 people says its the router and the router people say its the T1. The
router people are in Slovenia so it makes it even more difficult. Been
this way for two weeks.
I had an old plan on Verizon for many years that allowed extra-cost
roaming on any CDMA carrier. On subsequent plans they proclaimed "no
roaming charges" but they had two sets of maps on their web site and the
one for my plan. My plan had far more coverage than the newer plans
because the new plans excluded vast areas of analog coverage in rural areas.

Now I just have Pageplus which is far less per month but I pay for
off-network roaming on rare occasions. The only real issue is that there
is no data roaming but the times I am off Verizon are rare.
David Kaye
2014-04-22 08:46:40 UTC
I think you are jumping to conclusions. Verizon and Verizon wireless are
still separate entities. I get two bills from them: landline and
wireless.
I could be wrong, but I took "switched to a new billing system" to mean that
VZW was switching to VZ's billing system and someone forgot to add my
special antiquated plan to the system.