TL-WA901ND TP Link WAP Installation Problem
2014-07-07 09:06:10 UTC
I'm trying to reuse 2 TP Link TL-WA901ND WAPs. The device has a single LAN
jack. I have reset it to factory default with the reset button. If I plug
it into a computer my computer searches for it and returns a 169.254.x.x
address, meaning that the computer can see the device but can't connect to
it.

If I plug the device into my network I can look at it wirelessly and connect
to it with the default login. But I can't load the device's web page in
order to change settings such as SSID, encryption, etc. The instructions
are cryptic, telling me to go to my Ethernet setting on the computer and set
a static address of 192.168.1.x where x is greater and 1 and less than 254.
That ain't gonna work, either as my network uses the 192.168.11 addressing
scheme and I'm not about to knock people off my network just to set up this
WAP. Also, entering the address my network's DHCP assigned to it doesn't
work, though I can ping to the address.

The instruction manual says that the default is that its internal DHCP is
turned off, which is obviously why it's acting like a WAP and not a router
for setup purposes. But I can't figure out a way to turn the DHCP on so I
can get the coveted 192.168.1.x address.

I'm tempted to just go out and buy two more full service routers and use
them as WAPs, but I don't like to ditch perfectly good hardware, and it was
perfectly good before it was taken out of service the other day.

Here's a link to the pdf for the manual. See how cryptic it is? It looks
like it's referring to another device.
http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/200912243240113.pdf

Anybody?

2014-07-07 13:50:13 UTC
I am confused. Why can't you follow the instructions?

1) Connect the WAP to your LAN.

2) Statically assign your computer to a 192.168.1.x address

3) Connect to the WAP at 192./168.1.254

4) Configure.

5) During the configuration session, change the WAP to your 192.168.11.x
addressing scheme
2014-07-07 20:09:37 UTC
I am confused. Why can't you follow the instructions?
Uh...because I'm stupid? I followed your instructions, which were so much
clearer to me than the manual and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!