AT&T and Verizon say 10Mbps is too fast for "broadband," 4Mbps is enough
2014-09-09 20:12:53 UTC
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/att-and-verizon-say-10mbps-is-too-fast-for-broadband-4mbps-is-enough/
by Jon Brodkin Sept 8 2014

AT&T and Verizon say 10Mbps is too fast for "broadband," 4Mbps is enough
Cable lobby also implores FCC not to change definition of broadband.

AT&T and Verizon have asked the Federal Communications Commission not
to change its definition of broadband from 4Mbps to 10Mbps, saying
many Internet users get by just fine at the lower speeds.

{ article continues at the above URL }

Thad
Kevin McMurtrie
2014-09-10 03:55:51 UTC
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/att-and-verizon-say-10mbps-is-too-fast
-for-broadband-4mbps-is-enough/
by Jon Brodkin Sept 8 2014
AT&T and Verizon say 10Mbps is too fast for "broadband," 4Mbps is enough
Cable lobby also implores FCC not to change definition of broadband.
AT&T and Verizon have asked the Federal Communications Commission not
to change its definition of broadband from 4Mbps to 10Mbps, saying
many Internet users get by just fine at the lower speeds.
{ article continues at the above URL }
Thad
I have 8/2 Mbps from two Sonic.net lines bonded together. It's
miserable. My other options are 1.5/.3 Mbps from AT&T or some speed
guaranteed to be between zero and 50 Mbps from Comcast.

The US should be ashamed of its sad state of infrastructure.
--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
Thad Floryan
2014-09-10 06:39:07 UTC
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
Post by Thad Floryan
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/att-and-verizon-say-10mbps-is-too-fast
-for-broadband-4mbps-is-enough/
by Jon Brodkin Sept 8 2014
[...]
I have 8/2 Mbps from two Sonic.net lines bonded together. It's
miserable.
Hi Kevin,

From about 1998 until July 2008 I had Sprint Broadband which was
6/3 and very usable since that was the only choice available to me
other than 56k dialup modem. I lost the Sprint Broadband service
in July 2008 due to the FCC reallocating frequency. You can see
the Sprint transceiver mounted on my tower and pointing to Fremont
here:

http://thadlabs.com/PIX/LX200/

Luckily for me, Comcast ran fiber along Foothill Expressway in Los
Altos circa 2006-2007 which I was onserving for many mornings as I
was driving to work in the mornings. I was the first person in my
neighborhood to order Internet-only service from Comcast by using
their affiliate, comcastoffers.com, which came with a lot of special
deals including a free SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem, a $200 rebate
(before I even paid Comcast one penny) and 50% discounted monthly
billing for the first 6 months.

Long story short, I bought an SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 modem on one of the
Newegg daily Shell Shocker deals in April 2013 as part of my LAN
gigabit upgrade and on August 2, 2014, Comcast doubled the speeds
for free probably due to the threat of AT&T and others announcing
they're putting GiGE fiber to the home in this area in the near future.

Here's my Comcast speedtest results after that free speed doubling
last month:

Inbound: 57.74 Mbps
Outbound: 5.93 Mbps

I regularly get 7 MB/s downloads from fast sites such as Steam when
updating 20+GB of game files. YouTube downloads of large videos are
also 7 MB/S as are wgets from many well-connected sites. I'm looking
forward to 100Mbps up to 1Gbps which my Cisco router can already handle
on its WAN and LAN ports as I've tested (I have 2 of them, one for
service to/from the Internet and the other for local LAN tests); see:

http://thadlabs.com/FILES/ThadLABS_network_demarc.txt 2kB
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
My other options are 1.5/.3 Mbps from AT&T or some speed
guaranteed to be between zero and 50 Mbps from Comcast.
AT&T presently is not worth any consideration, but with fiber to the
home and > 100Mbps inbound it'll be something I'll be considering as
an alternate to Comcast noting I've had NO problems whatsoever with
Comcast since July 2008 (6+ years now).

A luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity. :-)
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
The US should be ashamed of its sad state of infrastructure.
Yes, but do realize the US' infrastructure is generally ancient and
decrepit and it'll take a lot of time to bring it to world-class status
vs. many other countries who began their new infrastructures with fiber
because they were late to the game and were able to use all-new and fast
equipment during their initial installation(s).