ATT + Uverse
Eli the Bearded
2016-03-14 21:47:38 UTC
Subject: Important notice - Please reply
From: "Your AT&T U-verse Customer Care Team"

AT&T U-verse

Important Account Information

Today your high-speed Internet service is provided over our
traditional broadband network. Your neighborhood is in a high
network traffic area, so to provide a better Internet
experience, we're transitioning customers in your area to our
advanced digital AT&T U-verse(R) network that includes
fiber-optic technology(1) which allows us to offer more speed,
more options, and more reliability than ever before! But it's
important that you call us at 877.377.1686 before 04/19/2016
to ensure your service isn't interrupted when we transition
customers in your area within the next 45 days.

[...]

Your current AT&T High Speed Internet Plan
Speed: 3.0 Mbps
Price: $52/mo.

AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet
Speed: 3.0 Mbps
Price: $29.95/mo. for 12 months, then $47/mo. after that(2)

So when I called them, the "Customer Care Team" worker at the other end
of the phone line told me that 3.0 Mbps is the highest speed that will
be available with this new "U-verse(R) network that includes
fiber-optic technology". I found this baffling.

But when the "Customer Care Team" worker then kept insisting that the
U-verse 3.0 Mbps would be "faster" than the "High Speed Internet" (aka
DSL as available far from the exchange) that is 3.0 Mbps, I explicitly
told them I didn't believe that was possible unless something was very
wrong.

Does anyone have comments they'd like to share about what ATT is trying
to play at here?

Elijah
------
there was nothing on the website about U-Verse available near me
sms
2016-03-15 01:15:42 UTC
From: "Your AT&T U-verse Customer Care Team"
AT&T U-verse
[...]
In my neighborhood AT&T strung fiber and is offering FTTH at much higher
speeds and much higher prices than the old FTTN and DSL service. The DSL
service, which they also call U-Verse was very slow. The FTTN was about
25-50Mb/s.

Now they seem to have realized that no one wants to pay a premium for
gigabit service. They've lowered the price to $70 per month with spying.
18Mb/s is $45 and 3 Mb/s is $30. The gigabit service is tempting at $70,
especially if you want to share it with your neighbors.

If they are doing FTTN only, then you'd need a new modem and they'd have
to run fiber from the pole to your house. It's also possible that they
are getting rid of the copper pair based DSL and landline service.

You will never get a straight answer from AT&T's "Customer Care Team"
because you will never be allowed to talk to anyone that knows the
actual answer.

Obviously Comcast is not available in your area because $52 per month
for 3Mb/s is outrageously high.
Kevin McMurtrie
2016-03-15 04:06:00 UTC
From: "Your AT&T U-verse Customer Care Team"
AT&T U-verse
[...]
I keep getting junk mail for "up to 1.5 Mbps" AT&T Uverse. Only AT&T
would proudly put their brand on such an offensive offering while suing
governments to block competition.
--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
sms
2016-03-15 13:53:44 UTC
From: "Your AT&T U-verse Customer Care Team"
AT&T U-verse
[...]
I suspect that what they are offering to you is FTTN throttled at 3Mb/s.
DSL might be slower than 3Mb/s depending on your distance from the
central office. When I had Sonic DSL, via AT&T twisted pair, I was not
getting even 3Mb/s. But my friend in Shallow Alto was getting about
18Mb/s, for the same price. Now Sonic is offering FTTN via AT&T but
unfortunately they have turned into a very high cost provider now.

What is your actual speed now? You should run a speed test.
n***@sbcglobal.net
2016-03-15 18:36:58 UTC
ATT did away with the copper lines here about 4 years ago. I currently have their 12 Mbps at an overpriced rate. They keep trying to sell me their DirectTV and have stopped pushing their IPTV. I suspect at some point they plan to dump IPTV and use that for more Internet bandwidth. What they are really trying to do is get me on a contract so I can't sign up for Wave if or when it finally comes down the block with a 100 Mbps service. That service has a cap though .... at 1 TB a month. And it would cost about the same as what I'm paying now.
Roy
2016-03-15 19:35:24 UTC
... ATT did away with the copper lines here about 4 years ago. I
currently have their 12 Mbps at an overpriced rate. They keep trying
to sell me their DirectTV and have stopped pushing their IPTV. I
suspect at some point they plan to dump IPTV and use that for more
Internet bandwidth. What they are really trying to do is get me on a
contract so I can't sign up for Wave if or when it finally comes down
the block with a 100 Mbps service. That service has a cap though
.... at 1 TB a month. And it would cost about the same as what I'm
paying now.
Actually I think IPTV is going to "DirectTv Everywhere"

http://www.directv.com/technology/directv_everywhere

BTW, I have 100Mbps cable service here in AZ and the cap is 300GB so 1TB
is generous.
n***@sbcglobal.net
2016-03-16 19:31:51 UTC
... ATT did away with the copper lines here about 4 years ago. I
currently have their 12 Mbps at an overpriced rate. They keep trying
to sell me their DirectTV and have stopped pushing their IPTV. I
suspect at some point they plan to dump IPTV and use that for more
Internet bandwidth. What they are really trying to do is get me on a
contract so I can't sign up for Wave if or when it finally comes down
the block with a 100 Mbps service. That service has a cap though
.... at 1 TB a month. And it would cost about the same as what I'm
paying now.
Actually I think IPTV is going to "DirectTv Everywhere"
http://www.directv.com/technology/directv_everywhere
BTW, I have 100Mbps cable service here in AZ and the cap is 300GB so 1TB
is generous.
But is it enforced? ATT has 300 GB cap on my service but what I've learned is U-Verse is so intermixed they can't really enforce it. IOW, they don't have any idea what is TV, what is phone and what is Internet.

Another reason is that people like to play "provider roulette". As soon as their discounted year or two is up threaten to take their business elsewhere or often just do.

Third reason is the increase in traffic is streaming video and compression is getting better so it may be hard for many to hit 300 GB. In fact even as much as I watch streaming HD video my math shows I'm still a bit under 300 GB.

Astound (Wave) last year offered the 100 Mbps service at $40 for 12 months then $80 after that. I pay $80 now for 12 Mbps so you can see why I might be interested. But I can't figure out why they haven't come into the neighborhood when their feeder line from Pleasant Hill is on the street a block over. I'm wondering if ATT and Comcast have paid off the council to block their expansion.
d***@gmail.com
2016-04-12 01:41:23 UTC
Got one of these too. They've been marketing "Uverse" for the last 6+ months, pushing it really hard. We're rural DSL and there are no other options (other than the carriers that operate on AT&Ts lines or Satellite).

For us, this is DSL. We have DSL. The difference seems to be:
1) That this is VDSL2 vs VDSL.
2) A "cap" difference of 250GB vs 150GB
3) We now have to rent equipment and can no longer own it.

It's less expensive for 12-months (of course) - but then it becomes more expensive than existing DSL when factoring in the equipment rental.

Sales people (I've talked to several) are selling this as "fiber to the house" and "it's faster". When reality, it may be fiber on the ATT side, but it's the same old copper in my neighborhood and, oh, BTW, it's capped at exactly the same speed. I get very aggravated when they promise fiber to the house.

The question is: Are they really willing to turn off paying customers? It's an implied disconnect without a date or termination indication... So I think its just a harder nudge towards VDSL2... AKA Uverse.
Roy
2016-04-12 04:34:50 UTC
ATT Uverse is FTTN (Fiber to the node or neighborhood), It is not FTTH
(fiber-to-the-home)

Its normally faster than legacy DSL because the "Node" is closer to the
customer. The less copper in the path, the faster you can connect.

At some point its going to cost AT&T more money to run the legacy system
and you will be forced to switch or go elsewhere.
Uverse.
n***@sbcglobal.net
Seems to be fiber to pole but maybe that's considered FTTN. There is a round canister at the pole that replaced a box around 4 years ago when they took out the copper line. Then it's copper from that to their box on my wall outside.
sms
2016-04-12 20:15:52 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
[...]
In my area, Comcast just installed FTTP but it is not lit up.

AT&T has FTTH and is selling 1Gb/s service for $70 per month if you let
them spy on you.

AT&T also is selling FTTN, which is under the U-Verse umbrella, and is
really just DSL, but faster because the node is so close to the house.

Comcast has no cap for now. AT&T has a 1TB cap on their Gigabit Fiber.
at 1Gb/s I estimate that you'd get about 7-10 minutes of service before
you hit 1TB.

I think the limit is there to prevent neighbors from sharing 1 Gigabit
connection though the reality is that if you look at tour monthly data
usage it's probably well below 100GB unless you're streaming large
quantities of HD video, or unless you have aerver farm in your house.
n***@sbcglobal.net
I had AT&T DSL before I had U-Verse. For U-Verse they send out the Gateway but it didn't want to work out of the box. U-Verse is fussy DSL. They sent out a truck and he told me that they can't even install U-Verse in a lot of apartments because the wiring is too old and not good enough. That wasn't my problem and he learned from then on to first check what was coming off the box at the side of the house. It required a filter in it to make things work.
d***@gmail.com
2016-04-20 14:48:50 UTC
ATT Uverse is FTTN (Fiber to the node or neighborhood), It is not FTTH
(fiber-to-the-home)
Its normally faster than legacy DSL because the "Node" is closer to the
customer. The less copper in the path, the faster you can connect.
At some point its going to cost AT&T more money to run the legacy system
and you will be forced to switch or go elsewhere.
No fiber in my neighborhood. There may be upstream.
In my case, it's not faster (at all) - they're offering the same speed/service. I understand what you're saying about reducing the copper, but likely it's still copper from the DSLAM to my home - quite a bit of copper in fact.

Note, there is no "elsewhere" to go other than satellite.

In terms of cost, ADSL2 is more expensive (past the intro rate) due to not being able to own the equipment.

It's being sold very incorrectly and non-factually. Sold as FTTH, "faster", and "less expensive". It's none of the above.
n***@sbcglobal.net
2016-04-12 19:10:24 UTC
From: "Your AT&T U-verse Customer Care Team"
AT&T U-verse
[...]
Just call them the "Broadband Banditos" as the wrong people are running these businesses and with the mindset of bandits. They probably think it is thrilling or a fun way to run a visit and that private jet is quite neat!