ATMs Face Deadline to Upgrade From Windows XP
2014-02-15 21:55:32 UTC
Among the incredible number of new NSA revelations and other security
issues in today's 15-FEB-2014 monthly free Bruce Schneier CRYPTO-GRAM
newsletter is this gem:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-16/atms-face-deadline-to-upgrade-from-windows-xp

FWIW, the local (to me) BofA ATMs appear to have been already updated
based on the very noticeably changed interaction with their ATMs.

Who is Bruce Schneier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Schneier

Since 1998, CRYPTO-GRAM has been a free monthly newsletter providing
summaries, analyses, insights, and commentaries on security: computer
and otherwise. You can subscribe, unsubscribe, or change your address
on the Web at <http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html>. Back issues
are also available at that URL.

Please feel free to forward CRYPTO-GRAM, in whole or in part, to
colleagues and friends who will find it valuable. Permission is also
granted to reprint CRYPTO-GRAM, as long as it is reprinted in its
entirety.

CRYPTO-GRAM is written by Bruce Schneier. Bruce Schneier is an
internationally renowned security technologist, called a "security guru"
by The Economist. He is the author of 12 books -- including "Liars and
Outliers: Enabling the Trust Society Needs to Survive" -- as well as
hundreds of articles, essays, and academic papers. His influential
newsletter "Crypto-Gram" and his blog "Schneier on Security" are read by
over 250,000 people. He has testified before Congress, is a frequent
guest on television and radio, has served on several government
committees, and is regularly quoted in the press. Schneier is a fellow
at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School, a
program fellow at the New America Foundation's Open Technology
Institute, a board member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, an
Advisory Board Member of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, and
the Chief Technology Officer at Co3 Systems, Inc. See
<http://www.schneier.com>.
David Kaye
2014-02-18 06:31:57 UTC
Bruce Schneier CRYPTO-GRAM
Microsoft has announced that it will continue to provide Security Essentials
updates for XP. As for me, I will continue to support XP as I have Windows
2000, which is still running on some mission-critical machines.

http://www.neowin.net/news/mixed-signals-microsoft-extends-windows-xp-security-essentials-support-to-july-2015
Thad Floryan
2014-02-18 06:49:54 UTC
Bruce Schneier CRYPTO-GRAM
Microsoft has announced that it will continue to provide Security Essentials
updates for XP. As for me, I will continue to support XP as I have Windows
2000, which is still running on some mission-critical machines.
http://www.neowin.net/news/mixed-signals-microsoft-extends-windows-xp-security-essentials-support-to-july-2015
Hi David,

That's great news about the security updates extensions! Thanks.

And I believe you re: Win2K -- I still have one system here running it
as my PhotoShop machine since Gimp lacks many of PS' many features and
capabilities.

FYI: Avast Pro still supports Win2K.

I don't surf the 'Net with the Win2K box and I only power it up when I
need/want to use PhotoShop.