OT: Black market takes over the iPhone 6 waiting lines
2014-09-23 05:53:46 UTC
This is so bizarre [to me] I had to share it here. And
this device is called a "smart" phone?

Ask Apple: is this any way to run a business?

Filthy stinking retards in line for 2+ days to buy the first
iPhone6s using cash only then flipping the phones for profit
with NYPD cop telling the retards "You f*cking stink.". Just
a guess but it looks like they're sleeping in their own waste
to retain their position in the various lines -- stench must
have been worse than our BART stations.

Picture article here followed by video documentation at UTube:

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-lines-video-2014-9

Black Market Takes Over the iPhone 6 Lines

runtime 6:25

There's a second video at the Business Insider page that has
to be viewed from there AFAICT showing how they were able to
buy one very quickly at retail without any waiting, so there
are some smart people in NYC.

Speaking of "black market", here's something new and yummy
from Burger King:

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Burger-King-Japan-s-Black-Burgers-Look-5772443.php

I'll bet there's road asphalt and tar in those burgers since it
looks like one will need to use a Dremel grinder with acetone to
clean one's teeth after eating one. I suppose these new burgers
would fit well in the Goth crowd. :-)

2014-09-23 09:15:18 UTC
Filthy stinking retards in line for 2+ days to buy the first
iPhone6s using cash only then flipping the phones for profit
with NYPD cop telling the retards "You f*cking stink.".
When you base a country on money, people do everything they can to try to
make some. There are other countries where monetary wealth isn't as
important as family and community. I doubt you'd see much flipping going on
in, say, Mexico.

SMS
2014-09-23 17:47:06 UTC
On 9/22/2014 10:53 PM, Thad Floryan wrote:

<snip>
Post by Thad Floryan
There's a second video at the Business Insider page that has
to be viewed from there AFAICT showing how they were able to
buy one very quickly at retail without any waiting, so there
are some smart people in NYC.
Not at all.

The people that line up at Apple stores do it for the experience, not
because they don't know that many other places will have the phones with
no wait.

Most people knew that there were ways to purchase the iPhone 6 at a
retail store, on launch day, without a wait, or a long wait. AT&T
stores, Verizon stores. Radio Shack, some Costcos, Walmart, Sam's Club,
Target etc. CNET had an article about where to buy it on September 19th.

I personally know a lot of people that bought the iPhone 6 already and
they are not the crazy people. They had been waiting for Apple to catch
up with Android in terms of screen size, processor speed, and hardware
features like NFC, as well as for the ability to do voice and data
simultaneously on Verizon (something that only Android phones could do
until the VoLTE launch on Verizon). Most had been waiting to use their
upgrade credit and had either not bought an iPhone 5s, or had never
owned an iPhone.

I may thing it's crazy to spend so much on a phone but who am I to tell
others how to spend their money? My brother was asking my advice on
bicycles last week and I told him that he should be spending more on a
bicycle and less on a phone. The people that are really stupid are the
ones paying the black market prices.

We spent about the same amount as one iPhone 6+ on four Moto Android
phones and our monthly bill for four phones on AT&T's network is
presently $86, or $21.50 per line (including taxes and fees). I just
can't see spending $150-200 a month for cell phone service.
David Kaye
2014-09-23 19:23:08 UTC
Post by SMS
I may thing it's crazy to spend so much on a phone but who am I to tell
others how to spend their money?
I, of course, work fulltime doing freelance tech. I did break down and buy
a wi-fi Android tablet, but that's just for checking wi-fi installations.
For the rest of my mobile communications needs I use an LC flip phone, which
recently replaced the Samsung flip phone I'd been using. No charge to
"upgrade" to the new flip, and my rate is still $35 for 1000 minutes
including those bizarre roaming towns I like to visit. And yes, I do text
messages when needed, but I'd rather pay the 20 cents per message fee than
buy a "package" at $5 a month.

Bhairitu
2014-09-23 19:36:56 UTC
Post by SMS
I may thing it's crazy to spend so much on a phone but who am I to tell
others how to spend their money?
I, of course, work fulltime doing freelance tech. I did break down and buy
a wi-fi Android tablet, but that's just for checking wi-fi installations.
For the rest of my mobile communications needs I use an LC flip phone, which
recently replaced the Samsung flip phone I'd been using. No charge to
"upgrade" to the new flip, and my rate is still $35 for 1000 minutes
including those bizarre roaming towns I like to visit. And yes, I do text
messages when needed, but I'd rather pay the 20 cents per message fee than
buy a "package" at $5 a month.
It's interesting to see so many people wanting the iPhone 6 which is
really just Apple catching up with Samsung large form factor phones.
Rosie Allen was asking last week when she co-hosted filling in for Gil
Gross why so much Apple news when Google is also in the Bay Area. It's
like when you say "smartphone" everyone thinks iPhone even though
Android has surpassed iOS in numbers. When I told the clerk at
Starbucks their new update was crashing he said other customers were
having the crash too and thought it had something to do with the iPhone
6. I told him I was using Android. Then when I checked they already
had yet another update which fixed the crash.

As a Palm developer I know very well that Apple did not invent the
smartphone though they did have some tablet prototypes they showed my
company in the mid 1990s that never made the light of day.
Peter Lawrence
2014-09-24 16:59:26 UTC
It's interesting to see so many people wanting the iPhone 6 which is really
just Apple catching up with Samsung large form factor phones. Rosie Allen
was asking last week when she co-hosted filling in for Gil Gross why so much
Apple news when Google is also in the Bay Area. It's like when you say
"smartphone" everyone thinks iPhone even though Android has surpassed iOS in
numbers. When I told the clerk at Starbucks their new update was crashing
he said other customers were having the crash too and thought it had
something to do with the iPhone 6. I told him I was using Android. Then
when I checked they already had yet another update which fixed the crash.
That's because the vast majority of people would rather own an iPhone, *if
they could afford to do so* but instead they own an Android, because one can
purchase an Android at a far lower price, often "free" with a contract.
It's the reason why Apple last year came out with a more "affordable" iPhone.

I think among high-end smartphones, the iPhone still has the largest market
share.

- Peter
Jeff Liebermann
2014-09-24 19:20:47 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
I think among high-end smartphones, the iPhone still has the largest market
share.
If you go by vendor, iPhone has the largest piece of the pie:
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2014/06/04/apples-u-s-iphone-market-share-holding-steady/>
<https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Market-Rankings/comScore-Reports-July-2014-US-Smartphone-Subscriber-Market-Share>

iPhone users also make more money:
<https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Data-Mine/iPhone-Users-Earn-Higher-Income-Engage-More-on-Apps-than-Android-Users>

However, if you go by installed operating system, Android has the lead
over IOS:
<https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Data-Mine/Smartphone-Market-Led-by-Android-in-Software-iPhone-in-Hardware>
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Peter Lawrence
2014-09-25 05:04:00 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
However, if you go by installed operating system, Android has the lead
<https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Data-Mine/Smartphone-Market-Led-by-Android-in-Software-iPhone-in-Hardware>
As I tried to state, the Android market share is larger because there are
far more affordable Android phones that more people can afford to purchase.
But in regards to high-end top-of-the-line smartphones, I think the iPhone

sms
2014-09-24 15:08:33 UTC
Post by SMS
I may thing it's crazy to spend so much on a phone but who am I to tell
others how to spend their money?
I, of course, work fulltime doing freelance tech. I did break down and buy
a wi-fi Android tablet, but that's just for checking wi-fi installations.
For the rest of my mobile communications needs I use an LC flip phone, which
recently replaced the Samsung flip phone I'd been using. No charge to
"upgrade" to the new flip, and my rate is still $35 for 1000 minutes
including those bizarre roaming towns I like to visit. And yes, I do text
messages when needed, but I'd rather pay the 20 cents per message fee than
buy a "package" at $5 a month.
That's very expensive. On Page Plus it's $28.50 for 1200 minutes, 3000
texts, and 500MB of data. There are occasional roaming charges (Yosemite
& Gold Country and southern Oregon are two) but it's not common.
David Kaye
2014-09-24 20:15:42 UTC
Post by sms
That's very expensive. On Page Plus it's $28.50 for 1200 minutes, 3000
texts, and 500MB of data. There are occasional roaming charges (Yosemite &
Gold Country and southern Oregon are two) but it's not common.
But Verizon Wireless WORKS for me. It seems to hit every nook and cranny.
With the exception of about 2 miles between Pescadero and Davenport I get it
all the way down Highway 1 from SF to Santa Cruz. I don't know of any other
cell service that does that. And never any roaming fees anywhere, anytime.

Jeff Liebermann
2014-09-24 21:45:28 UTC
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:15:42 -0700, "David Kaye"
Post by David Kaye
Post by sms
That's very expensive. On Page Plus it's $28.50 for 1200 minutes, 3000
texts, and 500MB of data. There are occasional roaming charges (Yosemite &
Gold Country and southern Oregon are two) but it's not common.
But Verizon Wireless WORKS for me. It seems to hit every nook and cranny.
With the exception of about 2 miles between Pescadero and Davenport I get it
all the way down Highway 1 from SF to Santa Cruz. I don't know of any other
cell service that does that. And never any roaming fees anywhere, anytime.
Page Plus is a Verizon MVNO and uses the Verizon towers and 3G system.
Whatever non-roaming 3G coverage you get with Verizon, you'll get the
same with Page Plus.

Actually, I'm surprised you have coverage from Pescadero to Davenport.
Both the Page Plus and Verizon coverage maps for the area show a huge
gap in service along the coastline and further inland. Around
Davenport, you might be going across the bay to Monterey, but that's
unlikely further north. I occasionally drive to Big Creek lumber on
the coast from Davenport and get very spotty coverage on Page Plus:
<https://www.pagepluscellular.com/why-page-plus/coverage/>
<http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/dotcom/coveragelocator/>
David Kaye
2014-09-25 00:18:40 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Actually, I'm surprised you have coverage from Pescadero to Davenport.
Both the Page Plus and Verizon coverage maps for the area show a huge
gap in service along the coastline and further inland.
I did say it was poor in that area, but indeed I do get coverage somewhat,
and when driving with companions who have Sprint and AT&T, they basically
got nothing south of Martin's Beach.
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Around
Davenport, you might be going across the bay to Monterey, but that's
unlikely further north.
That's fine with me, as long as I get a clear connection.

Jeff Liebermann
2014-09-24 01:26:39 UTC
Black Market Takes Over the iPhone 6 Lines
http://youtu.be/Ef_BznBwktw
runtime 6:25
They may have problems unloading their collection of iPhone 6's.

<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/bendgate-apple-iphone-6-plus-found-bending-in-pants-pockets-20140923-10l5qm.html>
<http://www.dailytech.com/iBend+Reports+Grow+of+RazorThin+iPhone+6+Folding+Like+Origami+in+Your+Pocket/article36598c.htm>
sms
If you wear the new iPants then there is no bending problem.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-09-24 15:33:25 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Thad Floryan
Black Market Takes Over the iPhone 6 Lines
http://youtu.be/Ef_BznBwktw
runtime 6:25
They may have problems unloading their collection of iPhone 6's.
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/bendgate-apple-iphone-6-plus-found-bending-in-pants-pockets-20140923-10l5qm.html>
<http://www.dailytech.com/iBend+Reports+Grow+of+RazorThin+iPhone+6+Folding+Like+Origami+in+Your+Pocket/article36598c.htm>
If you wear the new iPants then there is no bending problem.
Cute... Most of the bending problem is due to insufficiently stiff
case aggravated by large button holes in the sides. However, take a
look at the iFixit teardown:
<https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Teardown/29213>
The photo at:
<https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/Le4wOQvWHpqAuExJ.huge>
shows lengthwise milling marks. I can think of a few reasons for the
milling operation. The case may have been much thicker, but due to
the difficulty of cramming everything into the thin case, instead of
shrinking the electronics, they shrunk the case. Another is that the
case is so thin, that it warped when cast or molded, requiring milling
to straighten it out. Or, it may have been impossibly thin to mould,
so it was molded thick, and thinned out with a mill.

The traditional rubber "protector" case is going to be really strange
looking for the iPhone 6. It will have rubber around the surface
antennas to keep the users grip off the antennas, and axial metal
stiffeners to protect against bending and buckling. Apple taketh the
weight away. Aftermarket vendors add it back. There should be a
moral here somewhere.

There are other problems:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/23/apple_iphone_6_plus_review/>
"...the software is actually scaling up your 1080p video (reducing its
quality) so that the hardware can scale it back down (reducing its
quality) to display it at 1080p. Madness."

What's wrong with this picture (pun intended)? The article says that
the double rescaling is not apparent, but I suspect will be visible if
one looks for it. I got to play with one on Monday, but the owner was
seriously worried I might destroy his new toy, so I couldn't go into
the field test mode to do a "grip test".
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/cellular/cell-test.htm>
Incidentally, on the iFixit teardown, I couldn't find the NFC (near
field comm) antenna.
Peter Lawrence
2014-09-24 17:05:34 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Thad Floryan
Black Market Takes Over the iPhone 6 Lines
http://youtu.be/Ef_BznBwktw
runtime 6:25
They may have problems unloading their collection of iPhone 6's.
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/bendgate-apple-iphone-6-plus-found-bending-in-pants-pockets-20140923-10l5qm.html>
<http://www.dailytech.com/iBend+Reports+Grow+of+RazorThin+iPhone+6+Folding+Like+Origami+in+Your+Pocket/article36598c.htm>
I'm surprised that Apple doesn't market this as a feature: "The new iPhone 6
Plus, the only form-fitting phone that molds to the contour of your body for
added comfort!"
Jeff Liebermann
2014-09-24 19:08:14 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Thad Floryan
Black Market Takes Over the iPhone 6 Lines
http://youtu.be/Ef_BznBwktw
runtime 6:25
They may have problems unloading their collection of iPhone 6's.
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/bendgate-apple-iphone-6-plus-found-bending-in-pants-pockets-20140923-10l5qm.html>
<http://www.dailytech.com/iBend+Reports+Grow+of+RazorThin+iPhone+6+Folding+Like+Origami+in+Your+Pocket/article36598c.htm>
I'm surprised that Apple doesn't market this as a feature: "The new iPhone 6
Plus, the only form-fitting phone that molds to the contour of your body for
added comfort!"
Flexible phones have already been patented by LG:
<http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/gflex>
Soon, all smartphones will look like a pretzel, or maybe not:
"The flexibility of this product is limited. This phone may
be bent flat up to 180 degrees for a limited period of time
only. Do not bend inward or twist."

The next Apple "innovation" will probably be an all rubber smartphone.
No add-on rubber bumper and screen protector required. It will bend
and twist to fit any back pocket. A phone you can really sit on.

I'm still waiting for the built in projection display.

Also, I want one of these:
<http://flir.com/flirone/>
$350.