Cryptolocker unlocked
Eli the Bearded
2014-08-06 20:08:14 UTC
Raw Message

Whitehat hackers have struck back at the operators of the pernicious
CryptoLocker ransom trojan that has held hundreds of thousands of
hard drives hostage.

Through a partnership that included researchers from FOX-IT and
FireEye, researchers managed to recover the private encryption keys
that CryptoLocker uses to lock victims' personal computer files
until they pay a $300 ransom. They also reverse engineered the
binary code at the heart of the malicious program. The result: a
website that allows victims to recover the key for their individual

The site:

the url fragment "cryptcrypt" sure looks funny
David Kaye
2014-08-07 18:27:34 UTC
Raw Message
This is GREAT news. So far only one customer has gotten infected with
CryptoLocker, but it nearly wrecked his business because it encrypted his
billing statements, customer lists, estimate forms, just about everything a
business needs. Because the backup drive was connected to the computer at
the time the backups were also encrypted.

Hopefully we'll be able to get his stuff restored this weekend.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

2014-08-10 05:30:29 UTC
Raw Message
Post by Eli the Bearded
I suppose this is as good a place as any to mention
Google's captchas truly suck. Speaking of "sure looks

The antithesis of this insanity is what Western Union
is doing, but I suppose you'll have to send some money
to people hit by Typhoon Glenda (or something..) before
you can appreciate the difference.

Billy Y..
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer