Meet the seven people who hold the keys to worldwide internet security
2014-03-07 08:03:56 UTC
The URL (below) to the Guardian article appeared in comp.dcom.telecom
Thursday. It's a fascinating story.

Bruce Schneier, an American cryptologist and security expert who
worked with Glenn Greenwald and the Guardian to analyse some of the
files leaked by Edward Snowden, discusses the bizarre ceremony:

"A lot of it is necessary, and some of it is necessary theatre,"
he concedes. "This process is both technical and political, which
makes it extra complicated. I think the system is well designed."
As to whether the system will survive in the aftermath of the NSA
revelations, Schneier thinks the jury is still out: "That, we
don't know."
Meet the seven people who hold the keys to worldwide internet security
It sounds like the stuff of science fiction: seven keys, held by
individuals from all over the world, that together control security at
the core of the web. The reality is rather closer to The Office than
The Matrix
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/28/seven-people-keys-worldwide-internet-security-web
-or-
http://goo.gl/qimUBB
2014-03-07 08:33:45 UTC
The URL (below) to the Guardian article appeared in comp.dcom.telecom
Thursday. It's a fascinating story.
[...]
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/28/seven-people-keys-worldwide-internet-security-web
-or-
http://goo.gl/qimUBB
There's a video as part of The Guardian article I couldn't play
probably due to my /etc/hosts blocking, so I wget'd it for VLC:

-rw-r--r-- 1 thad staff 44275725 Feb 27 11:27 140227InternetKeys-16x9.mp4

If you want a copy, it's here as a fast download:

http://cdn.theguardian.tv/mainwebsite/2014/02/27/140227InternetKeys-16x9.mp4