OT: Windows Upgrade Warnings
2014-03-05 09:53:19 UTC
Beginning in a few days, Microsoft will begin putting up dialog boxes on
Windows XP machines telling customers that support is ending for XP as of
April 8, 2014.

Some people will want continued XP support, which is fine with me given that
XP is fairly bulletproof these days.

HOWEVER, rather than get new computers some people (probably many) are going
to want upgrades from XP to Windows 7 or 8. Microsoft is going to make a
2-jump upgrade wizard available (XP directly to 7 or 8, bypassing Vista),
which is unusual because they're known for only issuing 1-jump wizards.
It's also unusual in that in the past the hardware requirements changed so
much over 2 jumps that a 2-jump simply wasn't practical.

My question to the knowing folks here is how much oomph does Windows 7 or 8
really need? Is a P4 dual processor good enough? I have a machine running
Vista with a P4 and it hums along just fine. I also have a Vista laptop
with single P4 processor and it is also fairly fast. My Windows 7 machine
uses an AMD chip and I don't know enough about those to figure out how they
compare in speed to Intel.
Travis James
2014-03-05 16:07:29 UTC
My question to the knowing folks here is how much oomph does Windows 7 or 8
really need? Is a P4 dual processor good enough? I have a machine running
Vista with a P4 and it hums along just fine. I also have a Vista laptop
with single P4 processor and it is also fairly fast. My Windows 7 machine
uses an AMD chip and I don't know enough about those to figure out how they
compare in speed to Intel.
As I understand from random reading, Windows 7 is the superior to Vista
no matter what.

One example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-performance,2476-10.html
Steve Pope
2014-03-05 17:35:18 UTC
Post by Travis James
Post by David Kaye
My question to the knowing folks here is how much oomph does Windows 7 or 8
really need? Is a P4 dual processor good enough? I have a machine running
Vista with a P4 and it hums along just fine. I also have a Vista laptop
with single P4 processor and it is also fairly fast. My Windows 7 machine
uses an AMD chip and I don't know enough about those to figure out how they
compare in speed to Intel.
As I understand from random reading, Windows 7 is the superior to Vista
no matter what.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-performance,2476-10.html
Re. David's question, Win 7 seems to run okay on a dual-core machine
with 2 gigs of RAM. I have two identical such machines, one XP
the second Win 7 and there is no apparent slowdown for Win 7.

2014-03-05 17:26:24 UTC
Beginning in a few days, Microsoft will begin putting up dialog boxes on
Windows XP machines telling customers that support is ending for XP as of
April 8, 2014.
Some people will want continued XP support, which is fine with me given that
XP is fairly bulletproof these days.
Does it make sense to do a Windows Update one final time, before
dialog boxes and other pestware appears in the updates?

Steve
(null)
2014-03-05 18:58:15 UTC
My question to the knowing folks here is how much oomph does Windows 7 or 8
really need? Is a P4 dual processor good enough?
I have a sneaking suspicion, although I can't really confirm it, that
as far as base OS operations goes that cache sizes, memory bandwidth and
disk throughput matter a lot more than raw processor speed at the core level.
Steve Pope
2014-03-05 23:04:19 UTC
Post by (null)
Post by David Kaye
My question to the knowing folks here is how much oomph does Windows 7 or 8
really need? Is a P4 dual processor good enough?
I have a sneaking suspicion, although I can't really confirm it, that
as far as base OS operations goes that cache sizes, memory bandwidth and
disk throughput matter a lot more than raw processor speed at the core level.
Yes, but single-core machines running Windows will slow to a crawl
more readily than dual-core.

Steve
Mike Hunt
Approximately twice as fast to slow to a crawl :)
le_deuce
2014-03-18 08:51:53 UTC
[...]
The XP notification box from Microsoft arrived today. There was no
option presented to upgrade from XP to 7, only to 8. ( they suggested
only that if your computer didn't have the resources to handle W8, that
you need to get a new computer.
....Bran
David Kaye
2014-03-18 21:37:37 UTC
The XP notification box from Microsoft arrived today. There was no option
presented to upgrade from XP to 7, only to 8. ( they suggested only that
if your computer didn't have the resources to handle W8, that you need to
get a new computer.
....Bran
I still haven't gotten any notices yet. Two customers contacted me, but
because of news stories, not dialog boxes. I noticed that MS just did an
update today, so maybe when I reboot I might get something.

I've been debating whether to direct mail my customers or not. It costs me
about $300 each time I do it, so I usually wait for the most opportune time.