Comcast Raises My Cost by $21 Per Month
sms
2016-04-11 17:25:09 UTC
I'd been getting 75Mb/s broadband and basic cable for $45 per month
($39.99 plus a $3.25 "Broadcast TV Fee" plus some taxes. It just went up
to $66 per month with no change in services. I guess I finished my first
year.

The salespeople said that at the end of a year sign up again for new
special, but apparently there are no new specials that are any better.

I don't really care about the broadcast TV part, but that's essentially
free other than the $3.25 "broadcast TV fee."

So the question is whether or not to move to AT&T's gigabit service for
$70 per month. This includes all the equipment, and installation. It's
not clear what the taxes and fees are. You have to let AT&T spy on you,
but with a VPN service this issue is moot (though the advantage of 1Gb/s
goes away once you use a VPN).
n***@sbcglobal.net
Did you call up Comcast and threaten to leave? They seem to have some secret "customer retention" specials sitting around. They did that with me when I split. I only had their TV service. The CSR said she'd rather do without her cellphone than lose TV. Yeah, sure. ;-)
David Arnstein
2016-04-11 18:43:33 UTC
Post by n***@sbcglobal.net
Did you call up Comcast and threaten to leave? They seem to have some
secret "customer retention" specials sitting around. They did that with
me when I split. I only had their TV service. The CSR said she'd
rather do without her cellphone than lose TV. Yeah, sure. ;-)
Have any of you tried switching back and forth between AT&T and Comcast?
I mean, is this a way to get perpetual introductory pricing?

My brother got introductory pricing from his service provider for a few
years by threatening to leave, every year. But eventually, he was told,
"good bye and good luck."

Another (possible) data point. There is a fellow in my office who tells
me that one of his contracts with AT&T gave him introductory pricing
for one year, but included a two year commitment to service. I was
astonished. Did any of you get a contract like this from AT&T or Comcast?
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+***@pobox.com {{ }}
^^
sms
2016-04-11 19:33:35 UTC
Post by David Arnstein
Post by n***@sbcglobal.net
Did you call up Comcast and threaten to leave? They seem to have some
secret "customer retention" specials sitting around. They did that with
me when I split. I only had their TV service. The CSR said she'd
rather do without her cellphone than lose TV. Yeah, sure. ;-)
Have any of you tried switching back and forth between AT&T and Comcast?
I mean, is this a way to get perpetual introductory pricing?
My brother got introductory pricing from his service provider for a few
years by threatening to leave, every year. But eventually, he was told,
"good bye and good luck."
Another (possible) data point. There is a fellow in my office who tells
me that one of his contracts with AT&T gave him introductory pricing
for one year, but included a two year commitment to service. I was
astonished. Did any of you get a contract like this from AT&T or Comcast?
AT&T Gigabit service in my city has a $70 guarantee for three years with
a one year commitment. The $70 includes the fiber modem and
installation. You must opt into AT&T spying on you to get that rate.

The lower speed AT&T plans are a terrible deal. $62/month for 24Mb/s for
one year, $99 installation, $50 rebate, then it goes up to $79/month.

I know that satellite TV contracts are typically for two years and the
first year is much less than the second year. But you know the cost in
advance so you just compute the average monthly cost over two years,
including the value of any one-time rebates. With satellite you're
pretty much forced to switch back and forth between DirecTV and Dish
every two years because they won't give you the introductory rate again
even if you go back under contract.

The Comcast resellers will tell you to come back to them after a year
and they'll sign you up for another introductory rate with a different
credit card and different name, i.e. a spouses name. But Comcast appears
to have tired of these resellers and no longer lets them offer better
deals than Comcast themselves.

Comcast Internet only now costs $40 per month for one channel (25Mb/s)
and $50 for four channels (100Mb/s) with a one year commitment. They've
done away with 50Mb/s and 75Mb/s. You bring your own DOCSIS modem or
lease one from them.
sms
2016-04-11 19:06:42 UTC
Post by n***@sbcglobal.net
Post by sms
[...]
I did. All I got on the phone was an offer of $10 less if I dropped down
to 25Mb/s. I may do that since I have no need for 75Mb/s anyway. I was
just not satisfied with the <2Mb/s I was getting from Sonic. I also went
over to Fry's and talked to one of the resellers that has a table in the
store. She said that I was getting a good deal and she could not do better.

Sonic wants $76 plus taxes and fees for 50Mb/s. The taxes and fees are
high because they include voice service which I would not use anyway
since Google Voice is more full-featured than voice on Sonic Fusion. As
much as I don't like AT&T, and like Sonic, $70 for 1Gb/s versus $76 for
50Mb/s is not going to happen.
sms
2016-04-11 19:35:24 UTC
Post by sms
Post by n***@sbcglobal.net
Post by sms
[...]
Actually they raised the speed to 100Mb/s and did away with 50Mb/s and
75Mb/s tiers.

Comcast just ran fiber (FTTN) in my back yard a few months ago but I
don't think it's up yet.
poldy
What they may try is to upsell you to a double or triple play bundle.
n***@sbcglobal.net
We have Wave as a third option over here in Martinez. They're reps are quite pushy when I talk to them at community events where they have a booth. They must be ex car salesmen. And all I want to know is when will Wave be south of freeway 4.
n***@sbcglobal.net
2016-04-12 19:11:52 UTC
Post by sms
I'd been getting 75Mb/s broadband and basic cable for $45 per month
($39.99 plus a $3.25 "Broadcast TV Fee" plus some taxes. It just went up
to $66 per month with no change in services. I guess I finished my first
year.
The salespeople said that at the end of a year sign up again for new
special, but apparently there are no new specials that are any better.
I don't really care about the broadcast TV part, but that's essentially
free other than the $3.25 "broadcast TV fee."
So the question is whether or not to move to AT&T's gigabit service for
$70 per month. This includes all the equipment, and installation. It's
not clear what the taxes and fees are. You have to let AT&T spy on you,
but with a VPN service this issue is moot (though the advantage of 1Gb/s
goes away once you use a VPN).
I posted this on the other thread but same goes here:

Just call them the "Broadband Banditos" as the wrong people are running these businesses and with the mindset of bandits. They probably think it is thrilling or a fun way to run a visit and that private jet is quite neat!