TAILS Linux and secure Internet access
2014-05-07 18:57:59 UTC
If you are very security conscious, there is a new Linux distribution
released recently. From their website:

Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any
computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It aims at preserving your
privacy and anonymity, and helps you to:

* use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship;
* all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor
network;
* leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it
explicitly;
* use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files,
emails and instant messaging.

I got a copy and tried it. It worked as described and even warned me
that I was running TAILS in a virtual machine

https://tails.boum.org/
Kristian M Zoerhoff
2014-05-07 19:16:00 UTC
If you are very security conscious, there is a new Linux distribution
Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any
computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It aims at preserving your
* use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship;
* all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor
network;
* leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it
explicitly;
* use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files,
emails and instant messaging.
I got a copy and tried it. It worked as described and even warned me
that I was running TAILS in a virtual machine
https://tails.boum.org/
That reminds me that I need to actually burn the latest image to disc; it's
just sitting in my downloads folder.

I've been using it since it was pretty raw; the same general caveats apply
to it as to Tor (i.e., it ain't perfect), but it's a nice tool to keep in
the toolbox.
Kristian M Zoerhoff
Roy
2014-05-07 19:58:14 UTC
Post by Kristian M Zoerhoff
That reminds me that I need to actually burn the latest image to disc; it's
just sitting in my downloads folder.
I've been using it since it was pretty raw; the same general caveats apply
to it as to Tor (i.e., it ain't perfect), but it's a nice tool to keep in
the toolbox.
A lot of software like CentOS, FreePBX, and TAILS all come with a method
of creating a bootable USB stick. That is my boot device preference.
Kristian M Zoerhoff
2014-05-07 21:30:56 UTC
Post by Kristian M Zoerhoff
That reminds me that I need to actually burn the latest image to disc; it's
just sitting in my downloads folder.
I've been using it since it was pretty raw; the same general caveats apply
to it as to Tor (i.e., it ain't perfect), but it's a nice tool to keep in
the toolbox.
A lot of software like CentOS, FreePBX, and TAILS all come with a method
of creating a bootable USB stick. That is my boot device preference.
I have some older laptops lying around that can't boot from a stick, but
yes, an encrypted USB stick is the better approach, as Tails will let you
use the leftover space as a persistant storage area (encrypted as well, of
course).
Kristian M Zoerhoff
Roy
2014-05-07 22:09:13 UTC
Post by Kristian M Zoerhoff
Post by Roy
Post by Kristian M Zoerhoff
That reminds me that I need to actually burn the latest image to disc; it's
just sitting in my downloads folder.
I've been using it since it was pretty raw; the same general caveats apply
to it as to Tor (i.e., it ain't perfect), but it's a nice tool to keep in
the toolbox.
A lot of software like CentOS, FreePBX, and TAILS all come with a method
of creating a bootable USB stick. That is my boot device preference.
I have some older laptops lying around that can't boot from a stick, but
yes, an encrypted USB stick is the better approach, as Tails will let you
use the leftover space as a persistant storage area (encrypted as well, of
course).
You should look at Plop boot manager

I have it on a floppy which I boot on older computers and then select
"USB". Unfortunately, it won't boot a USB CD Drive.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html
Kristian M Zoerhoff
2014-05-07 22:53:16 UTC
Post by Kristian M Zoerhoff
Post by Roy
Post by Kristian M Zoerhoff
[...]
Thanks. I actually intend to scrap the old laptops soon (after removing,
smashing, and heating the hard drives to as hot as my Weber kettle will
get), but this still looks intriguing.
Kristian M Zoerhoff
Thad Floryan
2014-05-07 23:10:33 UTC
If you are very security conscious, there is a new Linux distribution
Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any
computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It aims at preserving your
* use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship;
* all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor
network;
* leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it
explicitly;
* use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files,
emails and instant messaging.
I got a copy and tried it. It worked as described and even warned me
that I was running TAILS in a virtual machine
https://tails.boum.org/
Hi Roy,

Tails is not that new -- first release was in 2009 per:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_%28operating_system%29
and
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=tails

FWIW, both Bruce Schneier and Ed Snowden use[d] Tails:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Schneier
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/04/tails.html

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/tails/
http://www.muktware.com/2014/05/tails-edward-snowdens-linux-distro-choice-leaves-beta/26613