Sonic Fusion: new signups for about $47 (all included)
Glenn Geller
2013-11-24 20:52:04 UTC
Sonic Fusion (DSL + unlimited phone) usually costs new customers $58 per month
(with taxes and fees). Currently, they're signing up new customers at about $47 per
month ($29.95 plus taxes and fees). That rate would be good for 12 months. There's
no contract: service can be cancelled anytime with no penalty. There's no activation
fee.

The promotional price appears on some Sonic billboards (such as the one at Pine
and Van Ness in San Francisco). The link to sign up at that lower price is here:

......... http://www.sonic.net/fusionbb

If you try to sign up without mentioning the promotional price, they'll charge you the
higher price. The promotional price could end at any time: no date is mentioned.
Mike Hunt
2013-11-25 17:04:04 UTC
Post by Glenn Geller
Sonic Fusion (DSL + unlimited phone) usually costs new customers $58 per month
(with taxes and fees). Currently, they're signing up new customers at about $47 per
month ($29.95 plus taxes and fees). That rate would be good for 12 months. There's
no contract: service can be cancelled anytime with no penalty. There's no activation
fee.
The promotional price appears on some Sonic billboards (such as the one at Pine
......... http://www.sonic.net/fusionbb
If you try to sign up without mentioning the promotional price, they'll charge you the
higher price. The promotional price could end at any time: no date is mentioned.
sure sure...rub it in...

"Sorry! It looks like you aren't within range for Fusion

We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are 5980
feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal."

Grr!
David Kaye
2013-11-25 20:51:36 UTC
Post by Mike Hunt
We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are 5980
feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal."
Grr!
One of my two customers with Fusion bonded DSL has been having troubles.
One line doesn't always sync, and while it doesn't affect most internet
traffic, the security camera server won't connect. The throughput is about
5 Mbps instead of the typical 20-25, but one of the connections just doesn't
consistently "train".

This is going to be annoying because Sonic will have to get AT&T out to look
at the lines and they're going to say it's all okay. I just know they will.
And it's only going to get worse now that the people at AT&T who know POTS
are retiring.
Sean Lynch
2013-11-25 18:08:20 UTC
Post by Glenn Geller
Sonic Fusion (DSL + unlimited phone) usually costs new customers $58 per month
(with taxes and fees). Currently, they're signing up new customers at about $47 per
month ($29.95 plus taxes and fees). That rate would be good for 12 months. There's
no contract: service can be cancelled anytime with no penalty. There's no activation
fee.
The promotional price appears on some Sonic billboards (such as the one at Pine
......... http://www.sonic.net/fusionbb
If you try to sign up without mentioning the promotional price, they'll charge you the
higher price. The promotional price could end at any time: no date is mentioned.
Thanks for posting this, though I'm already a customer and can't make
use of it. I have their dual DSL service and am very happy with it,
though they don't really treat it as an "upgrade." If you think you
might go for the dual-line service, just go straight for that, otherwise
you'll need to pay a second install charge, ship back the old modem,
etc.

Also, if you can do the install yourself, insist on it with the
salesperson. They will not tell you themselves that you can do this, but
you can. The $150 install fee is optional regardless of what the
salesperson tells you.
--
Sean Richard Lynch <***@literati.org>
http://www.literati.org/~seanl/
a***@gmail.com
It's about a year later. Is the promotion still available? I talked to a rep. who said there is a coupon code somewhere.
Rob Warnock
2014-11-14 11:28:56 UTC
<***@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Glenn Geller wrote:
| > Sonic Fusion (DSL + unlimited phone) usually costs new customers
| > $58 per month (with taxes and fees). Currently, they're signing up
| > new customers at about $47 per month ($29.95 plus taxes and fees).
| It's about a year later. Is the promotion still available?
+---------------

Dunno, but the everyday price is now $40/mo plus taxes & fees
[including a $6.50/mo modem rental fee]. They split the taxes/fees
out since it varies depending on where you live [$16-19]. I live
in San Mateo, so my taxes/fees are just over $16, for a total of
~$56/mo.[1] You get however much bandwidth ADSL2 will deliver
depending on your phone line quality & distance from the AT&T CO
[no throttling]. I get 8 down/1 up; people closer to the CO get
up to ~20 Mb/s. More info:

https://newsignup.sonic.net/shop

I've been quite happy with them, as have several of my friends.

One caveat: You can only get "Fusion" service if you already use
[or can get] AT&T "POTS" telephone service -- *NOT* if you have
UVerse or a remote concentrator.

-Rob

[1] I also pay an extra $10/mo for 4 static IPv4 addresses
[for my servers], so my monthly bill is actually ~$66.

-----
Rob Warnock <***@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403
Thad Floryan
2014-11-14 11:59:28 UTC
Post by Rob Warnock
[...]
I live
in San Mateo, so my taxes/fees are just over $16, for a total of
~$56/mo.[1] You get however much bandwidth ADSL2 will deliver
depending on your phone line quality & distance from the AT&T CO
[no throttling]. I get 8 down/1 up; people closer to the CO get
up to ~20 Mb/s. More info: https://newsignup.sonic.net/shop
Hi Rob,

The San Mateo CO is about 200 feet up 28th Avenue from El Camino
and you're only 6 blocks up 26th Avenue from El Camino which I
consider "close" even though Google Earth shows 3,929 feet as the
crow flies between your home and the CO -- I know the lines run
a bit along El Camino so the actual line length is longer.

When I originally setup Sigaba at 2727 El Camino during early 2000,
the CO was about 300 feet from Sigaba and the ADSL speed was 6Mbps
incoming which was about the best to be expected at that time from
[only] PacBell.

FWIW, San Mateo telco wiring is for the most part ancient garbage
but their fiber, as I examined at The Crossroads facility demarc
at Hwy92 and US-101, was first-rate and what I used for Sigaba when
I moved them there and for Levanta/Linuxcare who was already there
with everything in place.

2014-11-15 03:31:31 UTC
Post by Rob Warnock
Dunno, but the everyday price is now $40/mo plus taxes & fees
[including a $6.50/mo modem rental fee]. They split the taxes/fees
out since it varies depending on where you live [$16-19]. I live
in San Mateo, so my taxes/fees are just over $16, for a total of
~$56/mo.[1] You get however much bandwidth ADSL2 will deliver
depending on your phone line quality & distance from the AT&T CO
[no throttling]. I get 8 down/1 up; people closer to the CO get
https://newsignup.sonic.net/shop
A bit less here in Berkeley, $53/month with taxes.
Post by Rob Warnock
One caveat: You can only get "Fusion" service if you already use
[or can get] AT&T "POTS" telephone service -- *NOT* if you have
UVerse or a remote concentrator.
Oh yeah... never ditch your POTS line for UVerse! They will give
your copper to someone else on your block.

Steve
Keith Keller
2014-11-15 04:53:01 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
Oh yeah... never ditch your POTS line for UVerse! They will give
your copper to someone else on your block.
Hmm. What if you already have a POTS line for non-AT&T DSL service
(say, the awesome Sonic), and also wanted UVerse fiber service. Will
AT&T allow that, or will they unceremoniously yank your copper even
though it's still active? For my purposes it'd be nice to be able to
use fiber for things like streaming video, but keep Sonic for
public-facing services.

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
2014-11-15 10:56:23 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Hmm. What if you already have a POTS line for non-AT&T DSL service
(say, the awesome Sonic), and also wanted UVerse fiber service. Will
AT&T allow that, or will they unceremoniously yank your copper even
though it's still active? For my purposes it'd be nice to be able to
use fiber for things like streaming video, but keep Sonic for
public-facing services.
AT&T will do everything in their power to yank out the copper because the
PUC requires POTS lines to be shared with competing ISPs, the idea being
that the "last mile" to the home is a utility in the same way that a water
pipe is a utility. It's just not feasible to get another water pipe if you
switch water suppliers. But the PUC has no such sharing requirement on
fiber.

2014-11-15 22:55:12 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Steve Pope
Oh yeah... never ditch your POTS line for UVerse! They will give
your copper to someone else on your block.
Hmm. What if you already have a POTS line for non-AT&T DSL service
(say, the awesome Sonic), and also wanted UVerse fiber service. Will
AT&T allow that, or will they unceremoniously yank your copper even
though it's still active?
If you have no service of any sort running on the copper, it has
reverted to ATT and they may choose to yank it. I do not think
they could yank an active Fusion line. It would be some variation
of "slamming" if they did.

The least risk is never asking/allowing ATT to do anything to your
service.

Steve
Bhairitu
2014-11-16 20:16:53 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Steve Pope
Oh yeah... never ditch your POTS line for UVerse! They will give
your copper to someone else on your block.
Hmm. What if you already have a POTS line for non-AT&T DSL service
(say, the awesome Sonic), and also wanted UVerse fiber service. Will
AT&T allow that, or will they unceremoniously yank your copper even
though it's still active?
If you have no service of any sort running on the copper, it has
reverted to ATT and they may choose to yank it. I do not think
they could yank an active Fusion line. It would be some variation
of "slamming" if they did.
The least risk is never asking/allowing ATT to do anything to your
service.
Steve
They pulled the copper line here about two years ago and put a node a
block away. But I'm also seeing some construction outfits up the street
that are a tech contractor and I'm wondering it's Astound setting up to
bury their line under the freeway which AT&T does and may be a
requirement? My neighbor just went back from U-Verse to Comcast and I
was thinking he maybe should have waited a couple months.
poldy
2014-11-16 20:31:24 UTC
Post by Bhairitu
Post by Steve Pope
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Steve Pope
[...]
Where is here?

AT&T said they'd bring their Giga service to Cupertino but this last
week said they may have to pause their deployments because of the talk
of net neutrality and regulation of ISPs as utilities.

But turns out AT&T has never given firm plans for deploying fiber to
"100 cities" as they claimed. The FCC asked for specific details.

Apparently AT&T has a lower price if you allow them to collect personal
data. So them and Google Fiber may not be the best for privacy.
Bhairitu
2014-11-17 19:41:16 UTC
Post by poldy
Post by Bhairitu
Post by Steve Pope
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Steve Pope
[...]
I'm not talking Giga service but they probably can do that here too
since U-Verse is implemented. I'm in an East Bay community.