Verizon may soon ban its MVNOs from activating non-Verizon devices--Hurry and get that Boost Moto G.
SMS
2014-08-13 23:31:12 UTC
Selectel (a little known Verizon MVNO) has already been affected by
Verizon's new ban on non-Verizon devices and Page Plus is rumored to be
affected on September 1st (was supposed to be August 1st but it did not
happen).

Right now, one of the most popular new phones for Page Plus is the Boost
Moto G which is easily flashed to Page Plus (You cannot use the Verizon
prepaid Moto G on Page Plus).

The Boost Moto G sells for as little as $60. It's on sale now at Target
for $60 and they quickly sold out, though fortunately Best Buy will
match that price (normally $99). By comparison, the non-LTE GSM version
of the Moto G, costs $179. $60 is a heck of a deal for this phone.

The Moto G runs Kit Kat. The CDMA Moto G lacks LTE so it can still be
activated on Verizon MVNOs since Verizon is not yet allowing its MVNOs
to provide LTE service or to activate LTE capable phones. It's only got
8GB of Flash, and no SD card slot, so it's not a phone for power users,
but it has a fast processor and a good screen.

I currently have a Moto G LTE on an AT&T MVNO. However since I
occasionally travel to areas with no GSM coverage I decided that I would
keep one Page Plus account active for those occasions. An account on
Page Plus costs $30 per year to maintain ($10 every 120 days). I bought
the Moto G on Sunday and flashed it and activated it on Page Plus today.
n***@nada.com
2014-08-14 21:08:58 UTC
Post by SMS
[...]
And the Verizon version of the Moto G can't be used on Page Plus
either. But the Verizon one is also very cheap and their prepaid
Allset plans are not expensive (unlimited talk/text and 500GB data for
$45, double data with autopay).

So it's Boost or no one. for Page Plus. My wife has one flashed to
Page Plus and does the $30 a year thing. She makes virtually no calls
but enjoys having a 4.5" wifi tablet so she can take downloaded data
with her (like e-books).

I splurged on a Nexus 5 but still use it with a T-Mobile $30 a month
plan (only 100 minutes a month but 5 GB data)

I don't see how we could spend less for this level of service.
Steve Pope
2014-08-14 21:14:51 UTC
Post by n***@nada.com
And the Verizon version of the Moto G can't be used on Page Plus
either. But the Verizon one is also very cheap and their prepaid
Allset plans are not expensive (unlimited talk/text and 500GB data for
$45, double data with autopay).
Actually Allset is 500MB of data, not 500GB.

Steve
sms
2014-08-15 01:45:21 UTC
On 8/14/2014 2:08 PM, ***@nada.com wrote:

<snip>
Post by n***@nada.com
And the Verizon version of the Moto G can't be used on Page Plus
either. But the Verizon one is also very cheap and their prepaid
Allset plans are not expensive (unlimited talk/text and 500GB data for
$45, double data with autopay).
Double data for now anyway. But 1GB is a LOT of data for most people. I
looked at the data use for the four of us on Consumer Cellular and I
dropped our data plan down one tier since we can't use 2.5GB per month
between the four of us. Not with ever-expanding free Wi-Fi!
Post by n***@nada.com
So it's Boost or no one. for Page Plus. My wife has one flashed to
Page Plus and does the $30 a year thing. She makes virtually no calls
but enjoys having a 4.5" wifi tablet so she can take downloaded data
with her (like e-books).
I'm flashing one for a friend of mine tomorrow. He picked it up for
$59.99 at Best Buy today.
sms
2014-08-16 01:35:49 UTC
Post by sms
<snip>
Post by n***@nada.com
So it's Boost or no one. for Page Plus. My wife has one flashed to
Page Plus and does the $30 a year thing. She makes virtually no calls
but enjoys having a 4.5" wifi tablet so she can take downloaded data
with her (like e-books).
I'm flashing one for a friend of mine tomorrow. He picked it up for
$59.99 at Best Buy today.
Did it for him this morning/afternoon. Now he's off to buy three more!

I wonder if Boost wonders why they're selling, at a loss, so many of the
Moto G phones that are not being activated. Or they got stuck with a
huge inventory and no one wants them because they're not LTE.
n***@nada.com
2014-08-16 09:03:32 UTC
Post by sms
Post by sms
<snip>
Post by n***@nada.com
So it's Boost or no one. for Page Plus. My wife has one flashed to
Page Plus and does the $30 a year thing. She makes virtually no calls
but enjoys having a 4.5" wifi tablet so she can take downloaded data
with her (like e-books).
I'm flashing one for a friend of mine tomorrow. He picked it up for
$59.99 at Best Buy today.
Did it for him this morning/afternoon. Now he's off to buy three more!
I wonder if Boost wonders why they're selling, at a loss, so many of the
Moto G phones that are not being activated. Or they got stuck with a
huge inventory and no one wants them because they're not LTE.
Boost is likely selling and activating plenty of these Moto Gs. Most
of the market is realtively clueless about this. The walk into a Boost
dealer, and see what they think is cheap service and a flashy phone
for cheap. The number of people who even know about Page Plus is a
pretty small part of the market, much less about flashing another
carrier phone to use it.
SMS
2014-08-16 11:26:22 UTC
Post by n***@nada.com
Post by sms
Post by sms
<snip>
Post by n***@nada.com
[...]
That does seem to be the model of Boost and Virgin. But Virgin is able
to sell phones that can't be flashed to Page Plus.

With Sprint's native network so small, and no roaming on Boost or Virgin
to other CDMA carriers, it's just astounding that anyone uses these
services.

I know that the store REALLY wants to activate those phones when you buy
them.
sms
2014-08-25 02:32:42 UTC
On 8/16/2014 2:03 AM, ***@nada.com wrote:

<snip>
Post by n***@nada.com
Boost is likely selling and activating plenty of these Moto Gs. Most
of the market is realtively clueless about this. The walk into a Boost
dealer, and see what they think is cheap service and a flashy phone
for cheap. The number of people who even know about Page Plus is a
pretty small part of the market, much less about flashing another
carrier phone to use it.
Just flashed another Moto G for a friend today. He's hurrying to get his
four Page Plus lines onto the Boost Moto G before Verizon puts a stop to
the flashing, which may be in one more week.

Not sure why Verizon would care. This sort of thing hurts Sprint but it
ends up generating revenue for Verizon, via Carlos's company.
M.L.
2014-08-25 18:33:44 UTC
Post by sms
Just flashed another Moto G for a friend today. He's hurrying to get his
four Page Plus lines onto the Boost Moto G before Verizon puts a stop to
the flashing, which may be in one more week.
Would a flashed Moto G have any resale value after the Verizon ban
goes into effect?
n***@nada.com
Given what the Boost version costs, is that really an issue?
sms
True. For $60, if you get a year or two out of it, who cares?
M.L.
2014-08-27 01:31:16 UTC
Post by sms
Post by n***@nada.com
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
Just flashed another Moto G for a friend today. He's hurrying to get his
four Page Plus lines onto the Boost Moto G before Verizon puts a stop to
the flashing, which may be in one more week.
Would a flashed Moto G have any resale value after the Verizon ban
goes into effect?
Given what the Boost version costs, is that really an issue?
True. For $60, if you get a year or two out of it, who cares?
Wouldn't the lack of resale value effectively increase the price of
the phone? I must assume there are some who care since the resale
value could be used to defray the cost of their next phone. A two year
old Android could easily retain 50% resale value.
Justin
50% of what? The real price or the subsidised price?
sms
2014-08-27 13:52:56 UTC
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
Post by n***@nada.com
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
Just flashed another Moto G for a friend today. He's hurrying to get his
four Page Plus lines onto the Boost Moto G before Verizon puts a stop to
the flashing, which may be in one more week.
Would a flashed Moto G have any resale value after the Verizon ban
goes into effect?
Given what the Boost version costs, is that really an issue?
True. For $60, if you get a year or two out of it, who cares?
Wouldn't the lack of resale value effectively increase the price of
the phone? I must assume there are some who care since the resale
value could be used to defray the cost of their next phone. A two year
old Android could easily retain 50% resale value.
An Android phone would be unlikely to retain 50% of its unsubsidized
price after two years. An iPhone retains about that much after two years.

Unsubsidized Android phones have fallen in price since enough suppliers
are content with low margins that it's hard for companies like Samsung
to charge Apple-like prices. This drives down resale value.

The ban on activating non-Verizon phones on Page Plus will have one
positive effect--it will stop those people buying up large quantities of
the Moto G at $60, flashing them to Page Plus, and then selling them for
$140.
Aaron2
2014-08-27 16:43:18 UTC
Post by sms
Unsubsidized Android phones have fallen in price
I got a chuckle when I checked my last phone's (HTC Incredible) trade
in value on Amazon when it was around 3 years old. It was $5. Later in
the year it had dropped to $1.
SGIB1
2014-08-27 19:15:53 UTC
Post by Aaron2
Post by sms
Unsubsidized Android phones have fallen in price
I got a chuckle when I checked my last phone's (HTC Incredible) trade
in value on Amazon when it was around 3 years old. It was $5. Later in
the year it had dropped to $1.
Wow, I really overpaid ($23), but I just use it for a camera :)

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---
Aaron2
2014-08-27 20:37:05 UTC
Post by SGIB1
Post by Aaron2
I got a chuckle when I checked my last phone's (HTC Incredible) trade
in value on Amazon when it was around 3 years old. It was $5. Later in
the year it had dropped to $1.
Wow, I really overpaid ($23), but I just use it for a camera :)
That old smartphone, now 4 years old, still works fine using WiFi. I
keep it as a backup. If I break my current phone I will use it until I
can get a replacement.
n***@nada.com
2014-08-27 19:43:23 UTC
Post by sms
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
Post by n***@nada.com
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
[...]
How that a positive effect? Nobody has to buy one for that. And people
who have no ability to flash it themselves can still get a bargain for
the features of the phone.
n***@nada.com
2014-08-27 19:40:40 UTC
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
Post by n***@nada.com
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
Just flashed another Moto G for a friend today. He's hurrying to get his
four Page Plus lines onto the Boost Moto G before Verizon puts a stop to
the flashing, which may be in one more week.
Would a flashed Moto G have any resale value after the Verizon ban
goes into effect?
Given what the Boost version costs, is that really an issue?
True. For $60, if you get a year or two out of it, who cares?
Wouldn't the lack of resale value effectively increase the price of
the phone? I must assume there are some who care since the resale
value could be used to defray the cost of their next phone. A two year
old Android could easily retain 50% resale value.
Huh? The "resale value" is what you can sell it for. If it is low
thenthe price is low. What would increase it? It's not "collectible".

No phone has any value if it isn't usable because the carrier it was
flashed to is no longer willing to activate it.

ANd the most you would lose on a Boost Moto G becoming worthless is
$60-100.
Steve Pope
2014-08-28 00:31:59 UTC
Post by n***@nada.com
No phone has any value if it isn't usable because the carrier it was
flashed to is no longer willing to activate it.
Has this logic changed since Obama legalized unlocking phones?

Steve
Justin
2014-08-28 01:54:50 UTC
What happened to Verizon not being allowed to block devices on their network?
n***@nada.com
2014-08-28 08:02:09 UTC
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 01:54:50 +0000 (UTC), Justin
Post by Justin
Post by Steve Pope
Post by n***@nada.com
No phone has any value if it isn't usable because the carrier it was
flashed to is no longer willing to activate it.
Has this logic changed since Obama legalized unlocking phones?
What happened to Verizon not being allowed to block devices on their network?
Here's the key info about that:

CDMA Cell Phone Unlocking and Flashing: If you have a CDMA cell phone
from Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Qwest, US Cellular, Cricket, or any
other CDMA service provider it can be unlocked and flashed to work
with any other CDMA service provider, as long as the service provider
you would like to use the phone with is willing to activate it on
their network.
Justin
2014-08-28 13:19:56 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Steve Pope
Post by n***@nada.com
No phone has any value if it isn't usable because the carrier it was
flashed to is no longer willing to activate it.
Has this logic changed since Obama legalized unlocking phones?
What happened to Verizon not being allowed to block devices on their network?
CDMA Cell Phone Unlocking and Flashing: If you have a CDMA cell phone
from Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Qwest, US Cellular, Cricket, or any
other CDMA service provider it can be unlocked and flashed to work
with any other CDMA service provider, as long as the service provider
you would like to use the phone with is willing to activate it on
their network.
Didn't Verizon's purchase of the 700Mhz band do something to make them agree
to activate any device compatible, or was that a fever dream?
sms
2014-08-28 13:40:46 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Steve Pope
Post by n***@nada.com
No phone has any value if it isn't usable because the carrier it was
flashed to is no longer willing to activate it.
Has this logic changed since Obama legalized unlocking phones?
What happened to Verizon not being allowed to block devices on their network?
CDMA Cell Phone Unlocking and Flashing: If you have a CDMA cell phone
from Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Qwest, US Cellular, Cricket, or any
other CDMA service provider it can be unlocked and flashed to work
with any other CDMA service provider, as long as the service provider
you would like to use the phone with is willing to activate it on
their network.
Not that Verizon, or any carrier, needs to be consistent in their
statements but Verizon would have a hard time justifying the blocking of
a flashed Boost Moto G which for all intents and purposes is exactly the
same as a Verizon Moto G.

I wonder if Sprint requested that Verizon do something about the use of
subsidized Sprint prepaid phones on Verizon's network.
M.L.
2014-08-28 13:51:29 UTC
Post by n***@nada.com
Post by M.L.
Wouldn't the lack of resale value effectively increase the price of
the phone? I must assume there are some who care since the resale
value could be used to defray the cost of their next phone. A two year
old Android could easily retain 50% resale value.
Huh? The "resale value" is what you can sell it for. If it is low
thenthe price is low. What would increase it? It's not "collectible".
No phone has any value if it isn't usable because the carrier it was
flashed to is no longer willing to activate it.
My entire point is that the flashed Moto G would retain more resale
value if it could be passed on to subsequent Verizon customers. I'm
certain there's a market for 2-year old Verizon phones.
Post by n***@nada.com
ANd the most you would lose on a Boost Moto G becoming worthless is
$60-100.
Ebay sells working used Androids for less than that. And they get
bought.

sms
2014-08-26 13:37:15 UTC
Post by M.L.
Post by sms
Just flashed another Moto G for a friend today. He's hurrying to get his
four Page Plus lines onto the Boost Moto G before Verizon puts a stop to
the flashing, which may be in one more week.
Would a flashed Moto G have any resale value after the Verizon ban
goes into effect?
Only if the number goes with it.

I wonder if they would do an ESN swap with an existing Page Plus
account, but probably not.
Peter Lawrence
2014-08-15 00:30:47 UTC
I currently have a Moto G LTE on an AT&T MVNO. However since I occasionally
travel to areas with no GSM coverage I decided that I would keep one Page
Plus account active for those occasions.
So to which AT&T MVNO did you switch to?

- Peter
sms
2014-08-15 01:47:43 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
I currently have a Moto G LTE on an AT&T MVNO. However since I occasionally
travel to areas with no GSM coverage I decided that I would keep one Page
Plus account active for those occasions.
So to which AT&T MVNO did you switch to?
Consumer Cellular. I know, it's for seniors, but it was the only AT&T
MVNO with both roaming (including roaming data) and LTE. Their
individual plans are no bargain, but their family share plans are a
pretty good deal. We're spending about $90 per month for four smart
phones now, with more voice, texts, and data than we can use.