Slightly OT: If you just got bit by the Oracle Java 7 "upgrade"
2014-03-03 06:39:09 UTC
A neighbor called me earlier today and he was very distressed.

He succumbed to Oracle's Java 7 "upgrade" and some critical
things ceased working on his system.

Curious: I attempted the same "upgrade" on a test Vista system
and noticed there was a box to remove any earlier versions
(i.e., 6u43) during the so-called Java 7u51 "update".

!!!####>>> DON'T REMOVE THE 6u43 <<<###!!!

If you did, I found how Java (jre 6u43) can be restored and we
did it on on the neighbor's system and things are now working
again.

Here's what to do:

Visit this page: http://www.oldapps.com/java.php

or go directly to here for Windows:

http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=11928?download&ModPagespeed=noscript

for these:

Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Windows Vista, Windows Vista x64,
Windows 7, Windows 7 x64, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server
2008, Windows Server 2003 x64, Windows 8, Windows 8 x64

and download the jre-6u43-windows-i586.exe installer, 16,631kB, and
run it. It re-installs 6u43 so if you have apps that don't function
under Java 7 Update 51 (very likely) that's what you need to do.

FWIW, I went to Oracle's Java page and one needs to sign one's life
away to get older versions. Don't bother, use "oldapps.com".

2014-03-03 08:59:50 UTC
[...]
http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=11928?download&ModPagespeed=noscript
[...]
Note the page at the above URL provides both MD5 and SHA1 checksums
to assure your download was uncorrupted.

Unless you have Cygwin* or equivalent on your Windows box, you'll need
the free fciv MD5/SHA1 program from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290

Full instructions, download URL, and a man-like page are at the above
URL.

then: C:\> set path=%path%;c:\fciv
C:\> cd downloaddir
C:\> fciv filename.ext

fciv can be installed anywhere -- it's a stand-alone program -- and doesn't
hose or junk-up the Registry.

* Cygwin is what I have on *ALL* my WinXP, Vista and Win7 systems. It comes
in handy when things on Linux don't work properly such as can be seen in these
screenshots noting the CentOS xfig fails with a hose font. Note also, as seen
in the md5sums on each of the four screenshots, the data files are identical
and the xfig data file format is the same version, 3.2, for all 4 systems:

Keith Keller
2014-03-04 02:49:29 UTC
Curious: I attempted the same "upgrade" on a test Vista system
and noticed there was a box to remove any earlier versions
(i.e., 6u43) during the so-called Java 7u51 "update".
!!!####>>> DON'T REMOVE THE 6u43 <<<###!!!
Why not? I updated on my OS X and linux machines without any problems
so far. (Granted I am not a huge Java user.)

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
2014-03-04 22:16:58 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Thad Floryan
Curious: I attempted the same "upgrade" on a test Vista system
and noticed there was a box to remove any earlier versions
(i.e., 6u43) during the so-called Java 7u51 "update".
!!!####>>> DON'T REMOVE THE 6u43 <<<###!!!
Why not? I updated on my OS X and linux machines without any problems
so far. (Granted I am not a huge Java user.)
Hi Keith,

It appears you didn't read what I wrote: program(s) the neighbor needed
to use ceased functioning after jre-6u43 was removed. I don't recall
what they were specifically but it was very clear they functioned again
after I re-installed 6u43 on his system.

I don't have a lot of Java-based programs here but one that I use a
lot is PDFSAM (PDF Split and Merge: http://www.pdfsam.org/), and there's
a Java applet on my website that calculates Moon phases and requires the
6u43 version:

http://thadlabs.com/MAPUG/AstroDesigns/MAPUG/LunarPhase.htm

along with 'CABAReT STAGE' a PDF viewer and editor that works on all
my systems (BSD*, Linux, Solaris, UNIX, Windows):

https://www.cabaret-solutions.com/
https://www.cabaret-solutions.com/system/files/CABAReT%20Stage%20Scripting%20Tutorial.pdf

and many more that require 6u43 and *NOT* 7u51 though I haven't the
time to look for them.

Note Firefox goes bat-shit-crazy attempting to connect to the above
'cabaret-solutions' website but it's safe to tell Firefox and the
bozos and clowns at Mozilla to STFU.

Simple, no?

Note the alleged "upgrade" to 7u51 did pop up a warning box that scared
the hell out of my neighbor so he clicked to remove old Java without knowing
what would happen if he didn't do so. He's not a computer guy and he got
screwed Sunday by Oracle's Java update. I'm sure a lot of other folks will
also be bending over and grabbing their ankles. I posted the "fix" here to
restore 6u43 so ba.internet readers could assist anyone else in similar need.

Thad
Keith Keller
2014-03-05 02:29:31 UTC
It appears you didn't read what I wrote: program(s) the neighbor needed
to use ceased functioning after jre-6u43 was removed. I don't recall
what they were specifically but it was very clear they functioned again
after I re-installed 6u43 on his system.
I apologize; I did actually read it, but clearly not carefully enough.
If you happen to speak with him again, and can get more details on what
stopped working, that would be helpful. Thanks!

--keith
2014-04-14 22:02:16 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Thad Floryan
It appears you didn't read what I wrote: program(s) the neighbor needed
to use ceased functioning after jre-6u43 was removed. I don't recall
what they were specifically but it was very clear they functioned again
after I re-installed 6u43 on his system.
I apologize; I did actually read it, but clearly not carefully enough.
If you happen to speak with him again, and can get more details on what
stopped working, that would be helpful. Thanks!
Hi Keith,

Sorry for the late reply but it took awhile for me to reconnect
with that neighbor (our schedules are so different -- I'm a night
owl often outside from dusk to dawn at my telescopes).

Besides the PDFSAM (PDF Split And Merge) program I mentioned and
available here (and which I only use very heavily):

http://www.pdfsam.org/

two others are:

CABAReT_Stage (free PDF viewer and editor) noting their web pages
are a mix of English and German but the tutorial is 100% English:

https://www.cabaret-solutions.com/

https://www.cabaret-solutions.com/system/files/CABAReT%20Stage%20Scripting%20Tutorial.pdf

and the other is TOS (Think Or Swim), a stock trading app:

https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/client/index.jsp

http://mediaserver.thinkorswim.com/installer/install.html

2014-04-15 01:53:56 UTC
On 4/14/2014 3:02 PM, Thad Floryan wrote re: Java applications
that were hosed by Oracle's crapola Java 7 and 8 and requiring
Post by Thad Floryan
[...]
http://www.pdfsam.org/
[...]
https://www.cabaret-solutions.com/
[...]
https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/client/index.jsp
[...]
I've been catching up on today's email and one was a reminder
from the DoD there's a new release of the Lightweight Portable
Security LIVE Linux distro which is good for secure use at any
WiFi spot and elsewhere for home banking and much more; you'd
probably want the DeLuxe version for the extra features:

http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

noting the entire Live distro loads into RAM and the CD can be
removed immediately after loading the LPS system.

FWIW, I've been using the LPS Live Linux distro since it was
first released; the latest version was released yesterday, Monday.
The info page about LPS is here:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lps

Note it's free as is the DoD's free Encryption Wizard which is
Java-based for cross-platform use noting the manual and software
has been recently updated in 2014:

http://spi.dod.mil/ewizard.htm
http://spi.dod.mil/docs/EW_DS_20090615.pdf data sheet, 214kB
http://spi.dod.mil/ewizard_usecases.htm
http://spi.dod.mil/docs/ewmanual.pdf manual, 2.4MB

That's from the USAF Research Labs at Wright-Patterson AFB. The
Wizard functions on all of *BSD, Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, UNIX and
Windows using Java.

FWIW, the "spi" in the above URLs stands for the Software Protection
Initiative of December 2001:

http://spi.dod.mil/

Thad
Jeff Liebermann
2014-04-17 15:39:55 UTC
and many more that require 6u43 and *NOT* 7u51 though I haven't the
time to look for them.
I just installed the latest Java JRE-7u55 and removed JRE-6u43. Sites
that previous failed to display with 7u51 now seem to work. Judging
by the error message, 7u51 was failing if the side did not have any
kind of security certificate. Now, it ask for an exception, and
displays properly.

I use the WWVB signal strengh graphs as a test site.
<http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/wwvbmonitor_e.cgi>
Click on any of the graphs. They appear with 6u43 and 7u55, but fail
to display with 7u51.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Thad Floryan
2014-04-18 03:44:29 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Thad Floryan
and many more that require 6u43 and *NOT* 7u51 though I haven't the
time to look for them.
I just installed the latest Java JRE-7u55 and removed JRE-6u43. Sites
that previous failed to display with 7u51 now seem to work. Judging
by the error message, 7u51 was failing if the side did not have any
kind of security certificate. Now, it ask for an exception, and
displays properly.
I use the WWVB signal strengh graphs as a test site.
<http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/wwvbmonitor_e.cgi>
Click on any of the graphs. They appear with 6u43 and 7u55, but fail
to display with 7u51.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the interesting heads-up.

Clearly 7u51 was not QA'd.

I have a do-anything-to-it Win7 box upon which I may install 7u55
and see if the three critical Java-based programs functions with it:

Thad
Jeff Liebermann
2014-04-18 04:43:59 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Thad Floryan
and many more that require 6u43 and *NOT* 7u51 though I haven't the
time to look for them.
I just installed the latest Java JRE-7u55 and removed JRE-6u43. Sites
that previous failed to display with 7u51 now seem to work. Judging
by the error message, 7u51 was failing if the side did not have any
kind of security certificate. Now, it ask for an exception, and
displays properly.
I use the WWVB signal strengh graphs as a test site.
<http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/wwvbmonitor_e.cgi>
Click on any of the graphs. They appear with 6u43 and 7u55, but fail
to display with 7u51.
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the interesting heads-up.
Clearly 7u51 was not QA'd.
Yep. 7u55 included fixes for a mess of bugs:
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u55-relnotes-2177812.html>
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/2col/7u55-bugfixes-2180733.html>
This release fixes 37 security flaws, 35 of which are remotely
exploitable. Update 55 is scheduled to expire on July 15, 2014
when the next group of bug fixes are released.
Wonderful. So 7u55 is yet another temporary kludge.

I was slightly wrong about the missing certificate error. I still
have to add:
<http://tf.nist.gov >
to the exceptions site list in order to get the above WWVB signal
strength Java app to run. I still get the "Your security settings
have blocked an untrusted application from running" but at least now
it will run. The answer is in the changes to the security rules that
started in 7u51. See the comments on 7v51 here:
<http://javatester.org/version.html>
Meanwhile, it's still not fixed. The "appliacation blocked..."
message offers "details, ignore, or reload". Ignore fails to run the
application unless the site was previously installed in the exceptions
site list. Argh.

Good luck on your testing.