OT: Going rate for LCD monitor repair in the Bay Area?
Tak Nakamoto
2014-04-11 19:21:54 UTC
My 19 inch MAG monitor suddenly died. I'm pretty sure that the capacitors at
the power supply in the monitor itself blew. This is the most frequent cause
of sudden failure in this type of monitor. It was otherwise working
perfectly.

Being a cheapskate and also not wanting to add to electronic trash, I'd like
to see how much it costs to have the capacitors replaced in the Bay Area
(Berkeley/Oakland).

Does anyone have any idea of the cost? Any recommended shops?
David Kaye
2014-05-20 23:15:14 UTC
Post by Tak Nakamoto
Does anyone have any idea of the cost? Any recommended shops?
If you're the cheapskate you claim to be, you should open the thing, take a
look at all the capacitors and see which ones look bad (bloated, corroded,
etc), look at the capacity and working voltage on them, buy new ones of the
same or higher capacity and voltage, and solder them in.

Just remember that when you solder you poke the wire into the spot where
it's going to go, heat that junction, and melt the solder into it.
Otherwise you get a cold solder joint and lots of electrical problems.

Tak Nakamoto
2014-05-21 17:34:54 UTC
If you're the cheapskate you claim to be, you should open the thing, take a
look at all the capacitors and see which ones look bad (bloated, corroded,
etc), look at the capacity and working voltage on them, buy new ones of the
same or higher capacity and voltage, and solder them in.

I've considered that and have looked at the videos showing how to do it. But
my hands aren't steady enough.

I did call around, and found that in my area prices start at around $75 plus
parts. Since I can buy a working used monitor that's newer from a recycler
for about $50, I've decided to that instead. About the only time that it
seems to make sense to get a screen repaired is if it is a part of a laptop.

Tak Nakamoto