VOIP Service with Extensions and Forwarding
SMS
2014-03-06 17:05:33 UTC
I'm working for a small start-up. One thing that I need to convince the
founder to fix is that the corporate phone number on the company's web
site is his cell phone number. We are beginning to deal with a lot of
customers and vendors now and it is not very professional.

What I'm looking for is a VOIP service that lets you set up extensions
and forwarding to other phone numbers.

Has anyone here ever used FreePBX <http://www.freepbx.org/>? I have an
Atom based small system that I may try it on.
Peter Lawrence
2014-03-06 19:35:11 UTC
Post by SMS
I'm working for a small start-up. One thing that I need to convince the
founder to fix is that the corporate phone number on the company's web site
is his cell phone number. We are beginning to deal with a lot of customers
and vendors now and it is not very professional.
What I'm looking for is a VOIP service that lets you set up extensions and
forwarding to other phone numbers.
Has anyone here ever used FreePBX <http://www.freepbx.org/>? I have an Atom
based small system that I may try it on.
Have you looked into Skype for Business?

http://www.skype.com/en/business/

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10549/what-is-skype-connect-and-how-does-it-work

- Peter
Roy
2014-03-06 19:44:54 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by SMS
I'm working for a small start-up. One thing that I need to convince the
founder to fix is that the corporate phone number on the company's web site
is his cell phone number. We are beginning to deal with a lot of customers
and vendors now and it is not very professional.
What I'm looking for is a VOIP service that lets you set up extensions and
forwarding to other phone numbers.
Has anyone here ever used FreePBX <http://www.freepbx.org/>? I have an Atom
based small system that I may try it on.
Have you looked into Skype for Business?
http://www.skype.com/en/business/
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10549/what-is-skype-connect-and-how-does-it-work
- Peter
For that matter, check out Ooma Business

http://www.ooma.com/products/business/features
sms
2014-03-06 20:15:56 UTC
Post by Roy
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by SMS
I'm working for a small start-up. One thing that I need to convince the
founder to fix is that the corporate phone number on the company's web site
is his cell phone number. We are beginning to deal with a lot of customers
and vendors now and it is not very professional.
What I'm looking for is a VOIP service that lets you set up extensions and
forwarding to other phone numbers.
Has anyone here ever used FreePBX <http://www.freepbx.org/>? I have an Atom
based small system that I may try it on.
Have you looked into Skype for Business?
http://www.skype.com/en/business/
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10549/what-is-skype-connect-and-how-does-it-work
- Peter
For that matter, check out Ooma Business
http://www.ooma.com/products/business/features
Yeah, I looked at Ooma Business but they charge a lot for each virtual
extension. Their web site only mentions physical extensions but actually
they charge the same monthly price for virtual extensions.

We don't make many calls, we mainly need forwarding from one phone
number to a choice of about ten departments or individuals because it's
a bit tacky for everyone to be reachable only on their cell phones.

I may try setting up a FreePBX system with Callcentric, or other
provider if someone has some other suggestions for a provider.
Roy
2014-03-06 22:34:50 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Roy
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by SMS
[...]
As I mentioned, I have FreePBX running now. One even has Callcentric
connected. Email me if you need some assistance.
Thad Floryan
2014-03-06 22:53:56 UTC
Post by Roy
[...]
As I mentioned, I have FreePBX running now. One even has Callcentric
connected. Email me if you need some assistance.
Sounds good -- it's based on asterisk which I feel in the best VoIP
system available (though Digium, et al hardware can be pricey) per:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_%28PBX%29

http://www.asterisk.org/

http://wiki.asterisk.org/

http://www.asteriskdocs.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreePBX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreePBX_Distro

http://www.freepbx.org/

Thad
sms
2014-03-07 00:06:05 UTC
Post by Thad Floryan
Post by Roy
[...]
As I mentioned, I have FreePBX running now. One even has Callcentric
connected. Email me if you need some assistance.
Sounds good -- it's based on asterisk which I feel in the best VoIP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_%28PBX%29
http://www.asterisk.org/
http://wiki.asterisk.org/
http://www.asteriskdocs.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreePBX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreePBX_Distro
http://www.freepbx.org/
Thad
I may try this as well, a Raspberry Pi based solution:
<http://nerdvittles.com/?p=8178>. Easy to do battery back-up too!
Roy
I run several FreePBX system
Igor Sviridov
2014-03-07 09:01:53 UTC
Post by SMS
I'm working for a small start-up. One thing that I need to convince the
founder to fix is that the corporate phone number on the company's web
site is his cell phone number. We are beginning to deal with a lot of
customers and vendors now and it is not very professional.
What I'm looking for is a VOIP service that lets you set up extensions
and forwarding to other phone numbers.
Unless you've a specific reason to run it on premise it usually makes more sense
to use hosted service.

It can range from FreePBX or Trixbox on dedicated server or AWS instance;
or you can just use completely hosted and managed services like

PBXes https://www.pbxes.com
OnSip http://www.onsip.com/
SipSourcery http://www.sipsorcery.com/

There are many more; i've just used the 3 above...
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Virtual+PBX+providers

--igor