Free logmein joins the dodo bird and will become extinct
2014-01-22 22:44:59 UTC
LogMeIn Kills Its Eponymous Free Service, Uproar Ensues

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/21/logmein-free/

How to control remote PCs for free now that LogMeIn Free is dead

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57617598-285/how-to-control-remote-pcs-for-free-now-that-logmein-free-is-dead/
David Kaye
2014-01-23 06:34:37 UTC
LogMeIn Kills Its Eponymous Free Service, Uproar Ensues
I'm not worried. I've used Microsoft's Remote Desktop on various Windows
versions for years and it's worked flawlessly for me. No apps to install,
no nagware screens, etc.
Roy
2014-01-23 15:55:17 UTC
LogMeIn Kills Its Eponymous Free Service, Uproar Ensues
I'm not worried. I've used Microsoft's Remote Desktop on various Windows
versions for years and it's worked flawlessly for me. No apps to install,
no nagware screens, etc.
How do you make it work without a static address and opening ports in
the firewall?
poldy
2014-01-23 17:58:15 UTC
In article
LogMeIn Kills Its Eponymous Free Service, Uproar Ensues
I'm not worried. I've used Microsoft's Remote Desktop on various Windows
versions for years and it's worked flawlessly for me. No apps to install,
no nagware screens, etc.
How do you make it work without a static address and opening ports in
the firewall?
Teamviewer is free, for noncommercial use.

Teamviewer has better desktop client but LogMeIn iPad app was better
than Teamviewer iPad app.
Travis James
2014-01-23 22:58:55 UTC
Post by poldy
Teamviewer is free, for noncommercial use.
Teamviewer has better desktop client but LogMeIn iPad app was better
than Teamviewer iPad app.
I'm a convert to Splashtop Personal to get access to my computers from
my other computers or the iPad. It links computers together very easily.
I know Team does that too, but last time I tried - years ago - it was
either flaky or complicated.

For a spontaneous remote session with the random friend or relative, I
find join.me works well enough.
poldy
2014-01-25 02:59:07 UTC
Post by Travis James
Post by poldy
Teamviewer is free, for noncommercial use.
Teamviewer has better desktop client but LogMeIn iPad app was better
than Teamviewer iPad app.
I'm a convert to Splashtop Personal to get access to my computers from
my other computers or the iPad. It links computers together very easily.
I know Team does that too, but last time I tried - years ago - it was
either flaky or complicated.
I have Splashtop but it appears you need a subscription to access over
the Internet.
Post by Travis James
For a spontaneous remote session with the random friend or relative, I
find join.me works well enough.
But it's not for unattended sessions? That is someone on the remote
computer has to accept the connection.

David Kaye
2014-01-24 19:04:06 UTC
How do you make it work without a static address and opening ports in the
firewall?
The address is "static enough" to work, and when the remote computer turns
on Remote Desktop it pokes a hole in their firewall for that connection.
The remote computer must be configured with a password for their login in
order for Remote Desktop to work.
Roy
2014-01-24 19:11:19 UTC
How do you make it work without a static address and opening ports in the
firewall?
The address is "static enough" to work, and when the remote computer turns
on Remote Desktop it pokes a hole in their firewall for that connection.
The remote computer must be configured with a password for their login in
order for Remote Desktop to work.
I wasn't speaking of the firewall on the computer. I meant the typical
hardware device like Netgear, Linksys, 2wire, etc
David Kaye
2014-01-24 19:27:20 UTC
I wasn't speaking of the firewall on the computer. I meant the typical
hardware device like Netgear, Linksys, 2wire, etc
Hmmm...can't answer that because I've had only one problem so far and that
was few years ago, and I forget how I resolved it.
Roy