Comcast just doubled Bay Area Internet speed by 2x for free
2014-08-05 05:10:28 UTC
Catching up on news since Friday, I encountered this a few minutes ago:

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-5665897.php

Despite Einstein's many article errors over the years, he is correct
about the speed doubling. What he didn't write is how to enable the
new speed tier.

Simple: unplug your DOCSIS 3.0 modem for about 10-15 seconds and voilà
you'll be at the new speeds within a minute or so.

Here's my new San Jose speedtest results as of a few minutes ago:

Inbound: 57.74 Mbps
Outbound: 5.93 Mbps

2014-08-05 05:29:02 UTC
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-5665897.php
Despite Einstein's many article errors over the years, he is correct
about the speed doubling. What he didn't write is how to enable the
new speed tier.
Simple: unplug your DOCSIS 3.0 modem for about 10-15 seconds and voilà
you'll be at the new speeds within a minute or so.
[...]
Mea culpa, I wasn't clear. Unplug the cable modem's POWER for 10-15
seconds so it reboots. One must do the same thing when replacing a
router attached to a cable modem because the modem requires the MAC
address of the router -- a *LOT* of people return routers to Newegg,
Amazon, Frys, Best Buy, et al claiming the router doesn't work when
all they needed to do was have the cable modem recognize the new MAC
address.

Thad
Jeff Liebermann
2014-08-05 18:20:16 UTC
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-5665897.php
Except no speed increase in Santa Cruz.
<http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140801-913066.html>
The changes impact all California customers (except those
in Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Isleton, Lodi and Rio Vista)
Hint: Comcast has a strange franchise with SCZ, which requires that
Comcast do things that they don't like to do. Los Gatos was added to
the list because there are Los Gatos addresses in the hills being fed
with cable from the Santa Cruz side of the ridge.
Post by Thad Floryan
Mea culpa, I wasn't clear. Unplug the cable modem's POWER for 10-15
seconds so it reboots. One must do the same thing when replacing a
router attached to a cable modem because the modem requires the MAC
address of the router -- a *LOT* of people return routers to Newegg,
Amazon, Frys, Best Buy, et al claiming the router doesn't work when
all they needed to do was have the cable modem recognize the new MAC
address.
Yep. Happens all the time. As an additional complexication, if you
have a Comcast modem by Arris used for Comcast phone service, it will
have an internal battery. Power cycling the modem does nothing as
long as the battery is doing it's thing. Two choices:
1. Punch the reset button in back of the modem.
2. Remove the battery for at least 2 minutes (thanks to supercaps in
some models).

More:
<http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/power-cycling-your-modem/>
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Keith Keller
2014-08-05 21:00:59 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
The changes impact all California customers (except those
in Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Isleton, Lodi and Rio Vista)
Hint: Comcast has a strange franchise with SCZ, which requires that
Comcast do things that they don't like to do.
Like what, care about its customers? Okay, I know I'm being snide, but
I am also genuinely curious.

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
Jeff Liebermann
2014-08-05 22:18:39 UTC
On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 14:00:59 -0700, Keith Keller
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Jeff Liebermann
The changes impact all California customers (except those
in Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Isleton, Lodi and Rio Vista)
Hint: Comcast has a strange franchise with SCZ, which requires that
Comcast do things that they don't like to do.
Like what, care about its customers? Okay, I know I'm being snide, but
I am also genuinely curious.
--keith
"SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTE WITH COMCAST"
<http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/BDS/GovStream2/BDSvData/non_legacy/agendas/2011/20110927/PDF/007.pdf>

"Santa Cruz is carved out of the State franchising scheme
because then Assembly Member John Laird was able to secure
a legislative exemption from State franchising for Santa Cruz
County through July 1, 2014. The Legislature exempted Santa Cruz
because of the unique regulatory mechanisms which exist in Santa
Cruz - specifically, the Consent Judgment for Comcast in the
City of Santa Cruz and the County unincorporated area and the
Stipulated Rate Order for Charter Communications in the County
unincorporated area."

The main financial irritations were fixing the basic CATV rate at
$22/month and requiring Comcast to serve unprofitable areas (see Pg
3). Note that the $22/month agreement expired last month. I've asked
Comcast when the data speed with increase to be in line with the rest
of the state, but have received no answer yet.
Keith Keller
2014-08-06 01:39:32 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
"SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTE WITH COMCAST"
<http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/BDS/GovStream2/BDSvData/non_legacy/agendas/2011/20110927/PDF/007.pdf>
"a Stipulation and Consent Judgment, which provides Santa
Cruz cable subscribers with a broad range of protections, safeguards and
privileges not enjoyed
by other communities in California"

Why doesn't San Francisco County do this? Are we not good enough to be
protected from Comcast's policies?
Post by Jeff Liebermann
The main financial irritations were fixing the basic CATV rate at
$22/month and requiring Comcast to serve unprofitable areas (see Pg
3). Note that the $22/month agreement expired last month. I've asked
Comcast when the data speed with increase to be in line with the rest
of the state, but have received no answer yet.
Presumably it will be when Comcast jacks up your rates now that the
settlement agreement has expired. I'm surprised it hasn't happened
already.

--keith
2014-08-06 02:16:49 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
The main financial irritations were fixing the basic CATV rate at
$22/month and requiring Comcast to serve unprofitable areas (see Pg
3). Note that the $22/month agreement expired last month. I've asked
Comcast when the data speed with increase to be in line with the rest
of the state, but have received no answer yet.
Presumably it will be when Comcast jacks up your rates now that the
settlement agreement has expired. I'm surprised it hasn't happened
already.
Hi Keith,

Looking back on all my Comcast bills since 2008 when I began service,
it's every January beginning 2012 they include a $2 or $3 increase in
monthly billing; monthly billing remained constant prior to that date.

Thad
Keith Keller
2014-08-06 02:25:54 UTC
Looking back on all my Comcast bills since 2008 when I began service,
it's every January beginning 2012 they include a $2 or $3 increase in
monthly billing; monthly billing remained constant prior to that date.
Do you live in the SCZ service area? If not, you're probably subject to
the franchise agreement in your area. They haven't had the luxury of
increasing bills to Santa Cruz customers as much, which leads me to
believe they'd open up a can of whoop-bill on those customers as soon as
they were able.

--keith
2014-08-06 04:19:09 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Thad Floryan
Looking back on all my Comcast bills since 2008 when I began service,
it's every January beginning 2012 they include a $2 or $3 increase in
monthly billing; monthly billing remained constant prior to that date.
Do you live in the SCZ service area?
Hi Keith,

No, I'm in Los Altos close to I-280 and Hwy 85 -- that's why my new
Comcast speed as of last night is:

http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Comcast_speedtest_2014.08.04.jpg 95.8kB

Inbound: 57.74 Mbps, peak 57.85 Mbps
Outbound: 5.93 Mbps, peak 6.34 Mbps

The outbound speed seems unchanged from before my cable modem reboot.
Post by Keith Keller
If not, you're probably subject to
the franchise agreement in your area. They haven't had the luxury of
increasing bills to Santa Cruz customers as much, which leads me to
believe they'd open up a can of whoop-bill on those customers as soon as
they were able.
Now THAT I can believe and we're probably going to see some "wailing
and gnashing of teeth" postings here soon. :-)

Thad
Jeff Liebermann
2014-08-06 03:31:14 UTC
On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 18:39:32 -0700, Keith Keller
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Jeff Liebermann
"SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTE WITH COMCAST"
<http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/BDS/GovStream2/BDSvData/non_legacy/agendas/2011/20110927/PDF/007.pdf>
"a Stipulation and Consent Judgment, which provides Santa
Cruz cable subscribers with a broad range of protections, safeguards and
privileges not enjoyed
by other communities in California"
Why doesn't San Francisco County do this? Are we not good enough to be
protected from Comcast's policies?
Comcast hammered out a fairly equitable franchise agreement at the
state level that is being used as a template by most of the counties.
While not a Bill of Consumer Rights, it gets the job done. What
Comcast does NOT want is to individually negotiate franchise
agreements with every Calif municipality individually. That would
take forever and could become rather expensive.

The state agreement was sufficient for most cities and counties,
except for Santa Cruz and a few others. Someone in the local SCZ
county government considered it in their best interests to negotiate a
more favorable agreement with Comcast. I have some info on how that
happened and the process, but since I'm not sure how much of that is
suppose to be public info, I'll keep my big mouth shut.
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Jeff Liebermann
The main financial irritations were fixing the basic CATV rate at
$22/month and requiring Comcast to serve unprofitable areas (see Pg
3). Note that the $22/month agreement expired last month. I've asked
Comcast when the data speed with increase to be in line with the rest
of the state, but have received no answer yet.
Presumably it will be when Comcast jacks up your rates now that the
settlement agreement has expired. I'm surprised it hasn't happened
already.
Comcast is into creeping rate increases. Not so large as to panic
large numbers of customers. Delays in rate increases for existing
customers up to 2 years. Major discounts for anyone threatening to
pull the plug. The July bill in SCZ city included:
- A new charge of $1.50 for a "broadcast TV fee"
- CATV service increase of $5
- Franchise fee increase of $0.50
The end of the Santa Cruz special arrangement with Comcast has
resulted in almost a loss of funding for SCZ Community TV, which was
mostly funded by Comcast but will now be funded by the franchise fee:
<http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/BDS/GovStream2/BDSvData/non_legacy/agendas/2014/20140311/PDF/054.pdf>
Keith Keller
2014-08-06 04:32:12 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Comcast hammered out a fairly equitable franchise agreement at the
state level that is being used as a template by most of the counties.
While not a Bill of Consumer Rights, it gets the job done. What
Comcast does NOT want is to individually negotiate franchise
agreements with every Calif municipality individually. That would
take forever and could become rather expensive.
So, do these agreements include or specifically exclude an exclusivity
clause? Many of us have noted how other cable providers (particularly
Astound) are moving into traditional Comcast nee AT&T nee TCI markets.
Back in the TCI days in San Francisco, it was TCI, satellite, or OTA
(and of course many renters didn't even have a satellite option).
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Comcast is into creeping rate increases. Not so large as to panic
large numbers of customers. Delays in rate increases for existing
customers up to 2 years. Major discounts for anyone threatening to
pull the plug.
Does that come with a free 10 minutes of abuse from a Comcast support
rep? (Okay, now I'm just being snide for the hell of it.)

--keith
Jeff Liebermann
2014-08-06 05:05:26 UTC
On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 21:32:12 -0700, Keith Keller
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Comcast hammered out a fairly equitable franchise agreement at the
state level that is being used as a template by most of the counties.
While not a Bill of Consumer Rights, it gets the job done. What
Comcast does NOT want is to individually negotiate franchise
agreements with every Calif municipality individually. That would
take forever and could become rather expensive.
So, do these agreements include or specifically exclude an exclusivity
clause? Many of us have noted how other cable providers (particularly
Astound) are moving into traditional Comcast nee AT&T nee TCI markets.
Back in the TCI days in San Francisco, it was TCI, satellite, or OTA
(and of course many renters didn't even have a satellite option).
I don't know for sure, but I think it's an exclusive franchise. I'll
need to read the contract. Other municipalities might be
non-exclusive. You may be thinking of cable overbuilders, such as WOW
and RCN. Also, Google Fiber. So far, they haven't done much beyond
get purchased by larger cable providers.
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Comcast is into creeping rate increases. Not so large as to panic
large numbers of customers. Delays in rate increases for existing
customers up to 2 years. Major discounts for anyone threatening to
pull the plug.
Does that come with a free 10 minutes of abuse from a Comcast support
rep? (Okay, now I'm just being snide for the hell of it.)
Yeah, I hear the recording. The Comcast support personality did a
great job of never answering a direct question. I haven't had that
problem because I rarely call support, and I hang up on anyone that
sounds like a clueless idiot. Then, I start over. Thatt's easier
than me training the support person over the phone. I'm not impressed
by the depth of knowledge and efficiency of Comcast support, but I
rarely have a problem.

Marginally related Comcast drivel: A bit of Santa Cruz history, KRUZ:
<http://www.santacruzmah.org/guides/guide-to-the-kruz-tapes-collection/guide-to-the-kruz-tapes-collection-history/>
David Kaye
2014-08-06 15:26:26 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
I don't know for sure, but I think it's an exclusive franchise. I'll
need to read the contract. Other municipalities might be
non-exclusive. You may be thinking of cable overbuilders, such as WOW
and RCN. Also, Google Fiber. So far, they haven't done much beyond
get purchased by larger cable providers.
For a point of reference, SF used to have an open franchise. But back in
the late 1970s, Viacom signed a deal with SF to provide connections to all
homes in the city in exchange for an exclusive franchise. Otherwise, nobody
was going to wire the uneconomical areas where it wouldn't be profitable to
wire. Viacom sold to AT&T which sold to Comcast, who holds the SF franchise
today.

I assume that Viacom or its successors wrangled similar exclusive deals with
most communities.

2014-08-06 15:31:28 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Comcast is into creeping rate increases. Not so large as to panic
large numbers of customers.
It appears that most of this is driven by sports channels, which apparently
is why Comcast does not want to unbundle, and charges almost as much for
internet-only as it does for internet/TV bundling. I read (somewhere) that
most of the cable networks combined cost less to carry than just ESPN's
networks.

(null)
2014-08-05 06:53:18 UTC
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-5665897.php
Ah, so that explains the nastygram urging me to upgrade my modem. The switch
to AES128 ought to give some warm fuzzies, too.

Anyone know of a good deal on DOCSIS3.0 gear?
Thad Floryan
2014-08-05 07:52:23 UTC
Post by (null)
Post by Thad Floryan
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-5665897.php
Ah, so that explains the nastygram urging me to upgrade my modem. The switch
to AES128 ought to give some warm fuzzies, too.
Anyone know of a good deal on DOCSIS3.0 gear?
If you subscribe to the various emails from Newegg, their daily
Shell Shockers and Weekend Specials have reduced pricing on the
Motorola SB6141 frequently but it's often bundled with a WiFi hub
for some unknown (to me) reason.

I bought my SB6121 on a daily Shell Shocker as a sole purchase
(i.e., nothing bundled) for %54.99 after a MIR in March 2013 and
it's performed perfectly since installation -- it took Comcast a
few hours to make whatever change was necessary from the prior
SB-5101 which I received free from https://www.comcastoffers.com/
(whose deals change frequently) during July 2008 after I lost the
Sprint Broadband service due to FCC reallocating the frequencies.

I found this note in my MODEMS directory noting that if I were
in the market today I'd get the SB6141 realizing that the day
after I buy it a possible SB6161 DOCSIS 4.0 will be announced
capable of 1Gbps over the cable. :-) Both the SB6121 and the
SB6141 have a GiGE RJ-45 port for the router.

| According to
|
| http://www.squidoo.com/motorola-sb6141-or-sb6121-which-of-these-cable-modem-should-i-buy
|
| The Motorola SB6141 is the latest in the SB61xx family that
| started with the SB6120 and then followed by the SB6121.
| However both Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 are essentially the
| same technically except for the box design and some minor
| variations. The SB6141 continues in that fashion. Design
| wise, the SB6121 and SB6141 are also essentially the same.
|
| However there are two main things that makes the SB6141
| different from the SB6121. Most important of all is that
| the SB6141 has twice the download capacity than that of
| the SB6121. This is due to the fact that the SB6141 has
| the ability to channel bond up to eight channel downstream
| instead of four for the SB6121. The other factor is that
| the SB6141 is not only the latest of the SB61xx family
| but it is also slightly cheaper than its predecessor even
| though it has a bigger capacity.

Hmmm, that squidoo page has been taken down much like how the
YouTube wankers take down videos for no good reasons. That's
why I download and/or save EVERYTHING on the 'Net that's of any
interest to me as I've learned from bitter experience. Trust
NO ONE on the 'Net to leave things intact or in situ.

Thad
(null)
2014-08-05 13:50:18 UTC
Trust NO ONE on the 'Net to leave things intact or in situ.
Though far from a panacea, web.archive.org helps a bit in that regard.
Thad Floryan
2014-08-06 01:44:48 UTC
[...]
I found this note in my MODEMS directory noting that if I were
in the market today I'd get the SB6141 realizing that the day
after I buy it a possible SB6161 DOCSIS 4.0 will be announced
capable of 1Gbps over the cable. :-) Both the SB6121 and the
SB6141 have a GiGE RJ-45 port for the router.
[...]
An email correspondent provided me with some additional information
which I've posted below. Comcast apparently has the Arris SB6183
cable modem in its approved modem list.*[1]

Here's the additional information:

[...]
we're (almost) up to 16 channel bonding.

SB6183:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2132589~cbadad115cb6b50714bce93be33da90c/SURFboard%20SB6183.pdf

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29026957-Equip-sb6183~start=60

[*** side note: from the above forum conversations it appears the
commercial release (i.e., when it's available at Newegg, Best Buy,
Amazon, Frys, Target, etc.) "should" be later this month (August)
but no pricing info is presently available ***]

[...]
Docsis 3.1 is well out in the future.

Docsis 3.1 Targets 10-Gig Downstream:

http://www.lightreading.com/cable-video/docsis/docsis-31-targets-10-gig-downstream/d/d-id/699136

Thad

[1] The Arris Group appears to have acquired some Motorola IP
(Intellectual Property) from Google per:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arris_Group

which would explain the continuity of the "SBnnnn" product designation(s).

Arris' home page is here:

http://www.arrisi.com/

and some info is here:

http://www.arrisi.com/about_arris/index.asp
Bhairitu
2014-08-05 18:39:32 UTC
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-5665897.php
Despite Einstein's many article errors over the years, he is correct
about the speed doubling. What he didn't write is how to enable the
new speed tier.
Simple: unplug your DOCSIS 3.0 modem for about 10-15 seconds and voilà
you'll be at the new speeds within a minute or so.
http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Comcast_speedtest_2014.08.04.jpg 95.8kB
Inbound: 57.74 Mbps
Outbound: 5.93 Mbps
Thad
Sounds like they are countering Astound's move into more locations in
the Bay Area. Astound's (advertised) bottom tier is 55 mbps. So
Comcast is about 3 mbps more?

Believe me being in Martinez where Astound has moved in both Comcast and
AT&T are trying to lock people down into contracts so they can't move to
Astound (who has no contracts).
David Arnstein
2014-08-05 21:30:54 UTC
Inbound: 57.74 Mbps
Outbound: 5.93 Mbps
I have similar experience in Fremont. After power-cycling my cable modem,
my speeds were similar to yours.

I also did the speedtest.net thing before I power-cycled. I find that
my download speed did approximately double, but my upload speed remained
about the same.

Side note: Comcast is not shy about raising increasing my bill.
Comcast gives, Comcast takes.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+***@pobox.com {{ }}
^^
Kevin McMurtrie
2014-08-06 05:34:57 UTC
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-566589
7.php
Despite Einstein's many article errors over the years, he is correct
about the speed doubling. What he didn't write is how to enable the
new speed tier.
Simple: unplug your DOCSIS 3.0 modem for about 10-15 seconds and voilà
you'll be at the new speeds within a minute or so.
http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Comcast_speedtest_2014.08.04.jpg 95.8kB
Inbound: 57.74 Mbps
Outbound: 5.93 Mbps
Thad
I checked the Comcast Business contract last Friday and it still
guarantees nothing but you paying for a long time. It's very explicit
about that, and nothing else matters to me as long as that's there.
Thad Floryan
2014-08-06 08:16:21 UTC
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
Post by Thad Floryan
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Comcast-boosts-Internet-speeds-566589
7.php
Despite Einstein's many article errors over the years, he is correct
about the speed doubling. What he didn't write is how to enable the
new speed tier.
Simple: unplug your DOCSIS 3.0 modem for about 10-15 seconds and voilà
you'll be at the new speeds within a minute or so.
http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Comcast_speedtest_2014.08.04.jpg 95.8kB
Inbound: 57.74 Mbps
Outbound: 5.93 Mbps
Thad
I checked the Comcast Business contract last Friday and it still
guarantees nothing but you paying for a long time. It's very explicit
about that, and nothing else matters to me as long as that's there.
Huh? The two sentences you wrote above implies to ME that you enjoy
paying Comcast with no guarantees of cable service as long as you can
pay Comcast since nothing else matters to you. Is that right?

Note the implication is that we're discussing home internet service;
no one besides you mentioned "business class" service in this thread.

Are you a Comcast shareholder? I am because "somehow" after the DoJ
divided the original AT&T in 1984 into 7 RBOCs (Regional Bell Operating
Companies (e.g., Nynex, Quest, SW Bell, et al)) Comcast got added into
the mix and I just received two Comcast dividend checks dated 7/23/14
that I deposited in my bank account today along with three AT&T checks,
one Verizon check, and one Frontier Communications check for $0.22.

Yeah it costs Frontier more to mail the check to me than the value of the
check and that'll be true forever because I'm not going to sell the stock
(since there's no way to calculate "basis" after 30 years now for tax
purposes) or spend postage and the cost of an envelope and void one of my
bank checks to ask them to do direct-deposit into my bank account.

Did I somehow misinterpret what you wrote?

Does anyone else have a different interpretation of what Kevin wrote?

Just curious.

Thad
Kevin McMurtrie
2014-08-06 08:56:37 UTC
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
Post by Thad Floryan
[...]
You need to read that again.

Comcast is only raising the "Up To ..." speed. They still make no
service guarantees, even with the more expensive "Comcast Business" that
has fewer usage restrictions and a long-term contract.

I don't have Comcast because I won't agree to pay them for 1+ years with
nothing guaranteed in return. I don't know how anybody signs that
contract.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-08-06 13:55:58 UTC
On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 01:56:37 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
Comcast is only raising the "Up To ..." speed. They still make no
service guarantees, even with the more expensive "Comcast Business" that
has fewer usage restrictions and a long-term contract.
Well, if you have Comcast Business Class trunk service for phone
service, you can get an SLA contract:
<http://business.comcast.com/pdfs/cbc-trunks-sla-110922.pdf>
Same with just buying bandwidth with their "On-Net" service:
<http://business.comcast.com/terms-conditions-ent/Enterprise_Dedicated-Internet-PSA>
However, for the home subscriber, it's still a "best effort"
proposition.
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
I don't have Comcast because I won't agree to pay them for 1+ years with
nothing guaranteed in return. I don't know how anybody signs that
contract.
Some of Comcasts offerings are month to month, while others require a
2 year contract.
<http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/shop/productoverview.html>
In general, internet only and cable TV only services are month to
month, while the various double and triple play packages require a
contract. Click on "Details and Restrictions" for the fine print.

You can now pay as you go, like a prepaid cell phone:
<http://www.xfinityprepaid.com/internet/eng/index.html>
Not a great bargain, but very handy for vacation homes and events. I
might try it for the cable modem I carry around for testing
connections.

On the other foot, AT&T demands a 2 year contract with any of their
offerings. If it turns sour, you get to pay a rather large ETF (early
termination fee) when you pull the plug.
<http://gigaom.com/2011/01/11/how-to-cancel-your-att-contract/>
So, why to people sign up with Comcast? Because AT&T is so much
worse.
Keith Keller
2014-08-06 14:57:25 UTC
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
I don't have Comcast because I won't agree to pay them for 1+ years with
nothing guaranteed in return. I don't know how anybody signs that
contract.
You can certainly get no-contract cable TV service from them. It's not
cheap, though. Last I looked their basic (not ''lifeline'') plan was
$50/month for six months, then $60/month.

--keith
(null)
2014-11-28 23:09:25 UTC
Comcast [...] even with the more expensive "Comcast Business" that
has fewer usage restrictions and a long-term contract.
I don't have Comcast because I won't agree to pay them for 1+ years
with nothing guaranteed in return. I don't know how anybody signs
that contract.
I was happy with it the one time I did it. I got what I paid for,
negotiated in advance. It cost about twice the home offering for the
same speed, or put another way, about half the speed for a similar
cost. Other attributes and features were far different at the time I
did it, and were the main reason for the deal. I'll note that the
quantity of data allowed was entirely different between the two.