How Is OpenDNS for Torrents & Porn Sites?
2014-06-20 03:51:56 UTC
Two more customers got Comcast letters and they're also asking me to take
*some* kind of action on the torrent issue. Also, today a customer asked me
about blocking porn sites, especially because his company's computers get a
bunch of nagware and malware, likely from the porn sites.

Has anyone here had experience with using OpenDNS for these purposes? Yeah,
I know that it can be worked around by anybody with any computer savvy, but
most people probably won't even think that DNS is causing their inability to
connect. But more to the point, is OpenDNS a good choice as far as DNS
servers go? Or do people have other recommendations for DNS servers?

Thanks!

2014-06-20 05:00:11 UTC
Two more customers got Comcast letters and they're also asking me to take
*some* kind of action on the torrent issue. Also, today a customer asked me
about blocking porn sites, especially because his company's computers get a
bunch of nagware and malware, likely from the porn sites.
Has anyone here had experience with using OpenDNS for these purposes? Yeah,
I know that it can be worked around by anybody with any computer savvy, but
most people probably won't even think that DNS is causing their inability to
connect. But more to the point, is OpenDNS a good choice as far as DNS
servers go? Or do people have other recommendations for DNS servers?
Thanks!
OpenDNS probably won't do anything about the "Torrent" issue. It
certainly can't hurt

The solution I advise is a filtering appliance. I usually recommend
Sonicwall Content Filtering. I put the Sonicwall in Bridge mode so It
goes in rather easy and doesn't disturb the router. Its not cheap but
its very effective. You can add other software features if you need
additional protection. One way to "sell" the Sonicwall is that its
annual cost is about the same as a service call to "cleanse" an infected PC.
Peter Lawrence
2014-06-20 15:59:39 UTC
Two more customers got Comcast letters and they're also asking me to take
*some* kind of action on the torrent issue. Also, today a customer asked me
about blocking porn sites, especially because his company's computers get a
bunch of nagware and malware, likely from the porn sites.
Has anyone here had experience with using OpenDNS for these purposes? Yeah,
I know that it can be worked around by anybody with any computer savvy, but
most people probably won't even think that DNS is causing their inability to
connect. But more to the point, is OpenDNS a good choice as far as DNS
servers go? Or do people have other recommendations for DNS servers?
Thanks!
OpenDNS probably won't do anything about the "Torrent" issue.
OpenDNS can be configured to block "known to OpenDNS" torrent sites too.

I use OpenDNS, and their DNS servers are perfectly fine as DNS servers go.
They're filtering of websites, though, can be overly restrictive at times.
If you want to block gambling sites for example (sites where one can
illegally place bets on sporting events) it'll also block the California
State Lottery official site too, as an example. If you chose to block porn
sites, some photo sharing sites (that allow porn photos but most of their
content is non-porn photos) will be blocked too.

They do enable you to white list a site that they've blocked, but that takes
about three days (in my experience) to kick in (after you have white listed
the website).

Still for the price (free for the basic filtering service), it's far more
effective than having nothing at all, though as Roy mentions, a filtering
appliance like Sonicwall Content Filtering is a stronger and probably a more
effective solution.

Since the base plan for OpenDNS is free, I would suggest that you try it out
on your own network and see if it will work for you. If it doesn't suit
your needs, it's easy enough to deactivate its filtering and switch back to
the DNS servers that you have been previously using.

And by the way, users *WOULD* know that OpenDNS is causing there ability not
to connect because if one tries to access a website that it's blocking, the
user will be redirected to webpage that informs them tat OpenDNS is blocking
the site for whatever reason (porn site, torrent site, gambling site) and
suggest that the user contact the network administrator if that want access
to the website.

- Peter