Struck Out Twice Today...
2014-01-22 03:30:44 UTC
Client #1: New Comcast internet but old Comcast customer. The
downstream/upstream light kept flashing, sometimes 2cps, sometimes 3cps,
then back to 2cps. No "online" light. I phoned Comcast. I had to tell the
support person 3 times that the number I was calling from was NOT the
account involved. (I didn't want them troubleshooting my home connection!)

I told the woman I was a tech support person with 13 years experience doing
these things. I told her she'll need to sent out a tech because the modem
was not connecting to the WAN side. I said it was probably a cable problem
and not a modem problem.

I told her the LAN side of the router was fine; wireless works, DHCP works,
ping to gateway works. She told me to recycle the power and reset the modem
with a paper clip. I told her I'd already done those, but that I was
willing to do them again. I did. No change. After about 45 minutes of
testing on her side, she asked, "Are you SURE your modem is connected and
turned on?" SHEESH! Yes, it's connected and turned on. Finally, she
allowed that she "might" have to send out a techie on Friday. Friday. If
she'd a listened to what I told her at the beginning of the phone call she'd
a saved 45 minutes of phone time. (Why am I writing in dialect?) Anyhow, I
got paid by the guy even though the job wasn't complete. He confessed that
he'd have been yelling at the Comcast support person and, "How can you have
all that patience to deal with those people?" Heh...that's why I get the
big bucks...

Client #2: An institution with a server and a bunch of printers, and a
brand new Ricoh Aficio MP C4501, a nice looking behemoth of a
printer/copier/faxer/scanner/collator/stapler, etc. The vendor (not sure if
it's an indie or Ricoh themselves) just unloaded the printer, plugged it in,
turned it on, and left it. No drivers, no manual, no nothing.

I went to the Ricoh website and downloaded the wrong driver. Figures. I
thought it was a 64-bit server, but it was a 32. Anyhow, went back and DL'd
the 32-bit. After a bit of struggle with Windows Server 2003 and their
"simple" printer installation which couldn't find the printer or the config
files, I switched to manual installation, put in the IP address I'd assigned
to the printer, and after a little fiddling got the server to recognize the
printer. Fine.

The port scanner can see the printer. I can ping from the server to the
printer by either IP or by name (in this case RICOH). Excellent! Ran a
test page. Nothing. Looked at the print queue and there's one of those
unexplained printer errors. Went to the print list screen on the printer
and there's nothing. Went to the configuration menu, everything is fine.

So, the network can see the printer but can't print to it. Firewall turned
off, Spoolsrv or whatever it's called is running just fine on other
printers, etc. I can change properties in the properties box on the server
and they're changed when I look at the config screen on the printer itself.
So, there is communication but the thing won't print.

I told the woman at the institution that I did all I could do and everything
checks out as it should. I told her that her next step is calling her
vendor or Ricoh and relaying the info I printed out for her.

Epilogue: (Sort of like the last act of The Fugitive)... I struck out twice
in one day. I've never had that happen before. I'm not frustrated because
I learned long ago how things should work and that if they don't, chances
are over 90% that it's not anything I did wrong.

It does feel a bit silly getting paid twice for incomplete installations,
though.

But I'll get over it.
Keith Keller
2014-01-22 03:49:07 UTC
I told her the LAN side of the router was fine; wireless works, DHCP works,
ping to gateway works. She told me to recycle the power and reset the modem
with a paper clip. I told her I'd already done those, but that I was
willing to do them again. I did. No change. After about 45 minutes of
testing on her side, she asked, "Are you SURE your modem is connected and
turned on?" SHEESH! Yes, it's connected and turned on.
Perhaps she monitors your usenet posts.

FWIW, even Sonic goes through these tedious troubleshooting scripts,
even with experienced technical people (because why should they trust my
word that I know what I'm talking about?). However, at least they were
honest enough to say that they knew it was tedious, that they knew that
I was probably right, but that they had to go through the script anyway.
Part of it is just procedure: they need their techs to follow procedures
most of the time, because most of the time the solution will be reached
by following them. (And FWIW, I was right, but I got a free replacement
modem from them; this was even before their monthly modem maintenance
fee was instituted (as an old user I am grandfathered so still do not
pay it).)

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us