Intentional Backdoor In Consumer Wireless Routers Found
2014-04-24 16:59:49 UTC
Been catching up on this week's Slashdot Headlines and noticed
this one:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/04/22/001239/intentional-backdoor-in-consumer-routers-found

which references:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/easter-egg-dsl-router-patch-merely-hides-backdoor-instead-of-closing-it/

http://www.synacktiv.com/ressources/TCP32764_backdoor_again.pdf

That PDF is 628kB, 18 pages.

Thad
b***@MIX.COM
2014-04-24 21:34:19 UTC
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/easter-egg-dsl-router-patch-merely-hides-backdoor-instead-of-closing-it/
Here's another, from 12-Oct-2013 (can't recall if this
has already been mentioned, appologies if it has) -

http://www.devttys0.com/2013/10/reverse-engineering-a-d-link-backdoor/

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
bcc 20$ ; not a number
Thad Floryan
2014-04-24 21:54:38 UTC
Post by b***@MIX.COM
Post by Thad Floryan
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/easter-egg-dsl-router-patch-merely-hides-backdoor-instead-of-closing-it/
Here's another, from 12-Oct-2013 (can't recall if this
has already been mentioned, appologies if it has) -
http://www.devttys0.com/2013/10/reverse-engineering-a-d-link-backdoor/
Hi Billy,

Yikes, it's starting to appear that we're now in a period of fast and
rapid "discovery"; I wonder what other surprises lurk and await us.

A friend is presently job hunting after a personnel reduction from Cisco
last year and one company he's avoiding like the plague is Huawei due to
reports like this (617kB, 60 pages, 2012) entitled "Investigative Report
on the U.S. National Security Issues Posed by Chinese Telecommunications
Companies Huawei and ZTE":

http://intelligence.house.gov/sites/intelligence.house.gov/files/documents/Huawei-ZTE%20Investigative%20Report%20%28FINAL%29.pdf

A related article is this one also from 2012:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121008/17080120649/congress-fear-chinese-networking-companies-ignore-that-china-makes-all-our-networking-equipment.shtml

2014-04-24 22:12:17 UTC
Yikes, it's starting to appear that we're now in a period of fast and
rapid "discovery"; I wonder what other surprises lurk and await us.
It's nothing new.

Many early ATT / Berkeley unixes had a backdoor in the "write"
command: if within "write", you escaped to a shell, that shell
was root.

There was also a master password in some places in the system
that could also get you to root. That password was "hasta la vista".

Obviously insecure, but there was no nefarious intent; the goal
was just to simplify maintenance.

Steve

Keith Keller
2014-04-24 21:59:12 UTC
Post by b***@MIX.COM
Post by Thad Floryan
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/easter-egg-dsl-router-patch-merely-hides-backdoor-instead-of-closing-it/
Here's another, from 12-Oct-2013 (can't recall if this
has already been mentioned, appologies if it has) -
http://www.devttys0.com/2013/10/reverse-engineering-a-d-link-backdoor/
Has anyone seen examples of these backdoors in official releases (i.e.,
not releases packaged by the vendor and installed on hardware they make)
of open source firmwares like OpenWRT or DD-WRT? I haven't but that
doesn't mean they don't exist.

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us