Yahoo breaks mailing lists
2014-04-14 20:25:26 UTC
One of the Yahoo linux group members posted the following
earlier today:

In short:

"The technical issue is that Yahoo! now requires that all email with a
Yahoo! email address as its From: address to have originated on
Yahoo!'s network."

http://lists.bitfolk.com/lurker/message/20140413.214453.ccab41f5.en.html

I'm not sure why Yahoo! did this. It's like SPF I guess, "here's what
can send mail from this address" but in a way that breaks a huge
communication medium, maillists. You know, the things they bought and
re-branded as yahoogroups.

****wits.
--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/
David Kaye
2014-04-14 21:11:57 UTC
"The technical issue is that Yahoo! now requires that all email with a
Yahoo! email address as its From: address to have originated on
Yahoo!'s network."
Well, that seems fair; it sounds like a way for Yahoo to (finally) get away
from forged addresses. Email I sent to KQED was rejected by some kind of
spam filter at KQED's end. It's the first time I've had my Yahoo address
rejected, at least that I know of. When I get spam and other nasties I
often see forged Yahoo addresses on them, so it sounds like they're doing a
good thing.

Or am I missing something here?
Thad Floryan
2014-04-14 21:38:58 UTC
"The technical issue is that Yahoo! now requires that all email with a
Yahoo! email address as its From: address to have originated on
Yahoo!'s network."
Well, that seems fair; it sounds like a way for Yahoo to (finally) get away
from forged addresses. Email I sent to KQED was rejected by some kind of
spam filter at KQED's end. It's the first time I've had my Yahoo address
rejected, at least that I know of. When I get spam and other nasties I
often see forged Yahoo addresses on them, so it sounds like they're doing a
good thing.
Or am I missing something here?
Yes, it would seem you didn't notice or read the articles that
were cited in the URL I cited:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/08/yahoo_breaks_every_mailing_list_in_the_world_says_email_guru/

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247512/Yahoo_email_anti_spoofing_policy_breaks_mailing_lists

Face it, Yahoo is totally incompetent with crap HTML5 makeovers
written by clowns and, for me, the last straw was how Yahoo
destroyed Groups with the idiotic NEO interface which rendered
Yahoo Groups totally unsuitable for any technical forums.

As a for example, the Yahoo linux group (of which I'm one of the
three owners) has its message archives totally hosed and all the
messages since January 1998 are essentially destroyed because NEO
cannot fetch articles from the "raw" message database and present
them in a sane manner like the prior pre-NEO interface could do.

And Yahoo Mail has been a longstanding joke for years now and this
latest idiocy from Yahoo should be an alert to everyone to blacklist
Yahoo permanently.

2014-04-14 22:39:25 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
Post by Thad Floryan
As a for example, the Yahoo linux group (of which I'm one of the
three owners) has its message archives totally hosed and all the
messages since January 1998 are essentially destroyed because NEO
cannot fetch articles from the "raw" message database and present
them in a sane manner like the prior pre-NEO interface could do.
Sucks.
Hi Steve,

You're too polite. :-)

The words I used to describe NEO would have been sufficient for
me to ban myself from my own group. :-)

NEO infected Yahoo groups on August 18, 2013 and hosed all the
message archives.

The following URL was leaked October 20, 2013 which implemented
the pre-NEO interface:

and allowed me to use the yahoo2mbox program to verify the actual
"raw" message archives were still intact -- it's just the POS NEO
that cannot display them properly.

Sadly, the "stage" URL (above) was taken down within 24 hours due
to so many of us using it.

For the curious, here's the (Perl) yahoo2mbox program site:

http://www.tt-solutions.com/en/portfolio/yahoo2mbox

where you can read that the NEO interface is so brain-dead that the
messages are effectively all lost until NEO is removed and the old
functional interface restored which I doubt Yahoo will do since
that would hurt the feelings of all the incompetent H1B-Visa types
with bogus mail-order diplomas from fake universities who implemented
NEO under the direction of the person who wrote this article:

http://yahoogroups.tumblr.com/post/75580353805/your-group-homepage-photo-is-back

whose LinkedIn entry shows *ZERO* experience with UX, website design,
or user interface design:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/aravindsampath

Thad
sms
2014-04-14 22:11:19 UTC
And Yahoo Mail has been a longstanding joke for years now and this
latest idiocy from Yahoo should be an alert to everyone to blacklist
Yahoo permanently.
I filter Yahoo Mail messages into a separate folder so I can go through
them carefully. All of my friends and relatives except one have dumped
Yahoo Mail, but unfortunately some organizations I'm in still have
people using Yahoo Mail.

It's amazing that they are still in business. Who is dumb enough to
continue to use their mail service?
Thad Floryan
2014-04-14 23:07:17 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Thad Floryan
And Yahoo Mail has been a longstanding joke for years now and this
latest idiocy from Yahoo should be an alert to everyone to blacklist
Yahoo permanently.
I filter Yahoo Mail messages into a separate folder so I can go through
them carefully. All of my friends and relatives except one have dumped
Yahoo Mail, but unfortunately some organizations I'm in still have
people using Yahoo Mail.
It's amazing that they are still in business. Who is dumb enough to
continue to use their mail service?
Hi Steven,

My guess would be the knuckle-dragging slack-jawed LOL'ing fecebook-using
smartphone crowd who personify dumbed-down humanity in the movie IDIOCRACY:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

which I've watched many times. Sadly, it had a meager theatrical release
and I found it "by accident" on DVD and have had all my friends over to
watch it. I believe I bought my copy at Frys either Palo Alto or Sunnyvale
and I just now checked and found these available (not at Frys):

http://www.amazon.com/Idiocracy-Luke-Wilson/dp/B000K7VHOG/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/idiocracy-dvd/8138936.p

http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/dvd/idiocracy_987253

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX0YU8962

http://www.target.com/p/idiocracy/-/A-11361698

http://www.tower.com/idiocracy-luke-wilson-dvd/wapi/106970625

2014-04-14 23:18:59 UTC
[...]
My guess would be the knuckle-dragging slack-jawed LOL'ing fecebook-using
[...]
For those who don't understand, I posted (and it was accepted by
the moderator despite the language due to its sad commentary about
our times) to comp.dcom.telecom this URL last December:

http://dbagging.com/12-smartphone-douchebags/

The "bad" language is in the Reader Comments following the twelve
pictures which are jaw-droppingly-sad.

2014-04-14 23:42:32 UTC
[...]
My guess would be the knuckle-dragging slack-jawed LOL'ing fecebook-using
[...]
For those who don't understand, I posted (and it was accepted by
the moderator despite the language due to its sad commentary about
http://dbagging.com/12-smartphone-douchebags/
[...]
And speaking of how dumb "smartphone" users are, here's a video URL
that appeared in the San Hoser Mockery, er, Murky, er, Mercury News'
ROAD KILL, er, Road Show, column by Gary Richards:

" Manifesto - Texting while driving video
"
"

"
" runtime 0:30
"
" Published on Apr 3, 2014
"
" Thousands of people die every year in crashes related to
" distracted driving.
"
" That's why cops are out looking for people who text while
" driving, and that's why they write tickets -- to save lives.
" Remember, U Drive. U Text. U Pay.

If it was my call, anyone texting or similar while driving should
be fined $1,000,000, driver license revoked and never reissued,
and jailed for life. One of my best friend's daughters was hit
while she was stopped at a red light by a texting woman and both
cars were totalled last year -- incredibly no one was injured --
so I will have an emotional response to anyone I see doing it and
such persons better run away and hide before "something" happens.

Thad
sms
2014-04-15 00:02:24 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Thad Floryan
And Yahoo Mail has been a longstanding joke for years now and this
latest idiocy from Yahoo should be an alert to everyone to blacklist
Yahoo permanently.
I filter Yahoo Mail messages into a separate folder so I can go through
them carefully. All of my friends and relatives except one have dumped
Yahoo Mail, but unfortunately some organizations I'm in still have
people using Yahoo Mail.
It's amazing that they are still in business. Who is dumb enough to
continue to use their mail service?
Hi Steven,
My guess would be the knuckle-dragging slack-jawed LOL'ing fecebook-using
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
One of my favorite movies. I have it. Just wish there were a PG rated
version that would be okay to show in schools.

BTW, it was based (loosely) on the short story _The Marching Morons_.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons>
<http://mysite.du.edu/~treddell/3780/Kornbluth_The-Marching-Morons.pdf>
Thad Floryan
2014-04-15 00:39:31 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Thad Floryan
Post by sms
[...]
I filter Yahoo Mail messages into a separate folder so I can go through
them carefully. All of my friends and relatives except one have dumped
Yahoo Mail, but unfortunately some organizations I'm in still have
people using Yahoo Mail.
It's amazing that they are still in business. Who is dumb enough to
continue to use their mail service?
Hi Steven,
My guess would be the knuckle-dragging slack-jawed LOL'ing fecebook-using
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
One of my favorite movies. I have it. Just wish there were a PG rated
version that would be okay to show in schools.
Hi Steven,

I am not a lawyer but I seem to recall that movie excerpts/snippets
can be utilized under "fair use" and for educational purposes. The
list of sites I posted earlier today where the DVD can be purchased
indicated an affordable price (i.e., lower than typical costs for a
movie ticket in a theater) so it's not going to break the bank given
the price is about what I pay for an In-N-Out 3x3, medium rare, with
onions and a side of french fries from the one at Grant and El Camino
in Mountain View.

Though IDIOCRACY is rated "R" (nothing in it offended me in any way)
here's my movie rating system explanation:

No rating - family-friendly:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058092/ FATHER GOOSE
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/ FORBIDDEN PLANET
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033870/ CASABLANCA
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/ DAY EARTH STOOD STILL
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033870/ THE MALTESE FALCON
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043265/ THE AFRICAN QUEEN
etc.
G - good
PG - pretty good
R - really good
X - eXcellent :-)
Post by sms
BTW, it was based (loosely) on the short story _The Marching Morons_.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons>
<http://mysite.du.edu/~treddell/3780/Kornbluth_The-Marching-Morons.pdf>
I didn't know that; thank you VERY much for the URLs!

Thad

Keith Keller
2014-04-14 21:38:48 UTC
"The technical issue is that Yahoo! now requires that all email with a
Yahoo! email address as its From: address to have originated on
Yahoo!'s network."
http://lists.bitfolk.com/lurker/message/20140413.214453.ccab41f5.en.html
I'm not sure why Yahoo! did this.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247512/Yahoo_email_anti_spoofing_policy_breaks_mailing_lists

"Laura Tessmer Atkins, co-founder of email anti-spam consultancy firm
Word to the Wise based in Palo Alto, California, also confirmed and
documented the issue in a blog post Monday. She believes that Yahoo
began advertising a "reject" policy because of a recent attack against
Yahoo users that involved attackers compromising yahoo.com email
accounts and sending unauthorized emails to their contacts."

That really seems like throwing out the baby with the bath water. I
wonder if these compromised email accounts were compromised during their
vulnerability to Heartbleed? The timing is certainly close.

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
2014-04-14 23:55:39 UTC
[...]
Hi Keith,

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought, but Yahoo email addresses have
been easily compromised millions of times over the years and many of
those exploits have been documented here in ba.internet and other
forums' archives.

The solution is simple: don't use Yahoo for anything and one's life
will be much happier. Since NEO infected Yahoo Groups last August,
I haven't logged into Yahoo even for Groups and as I've informed all
the various groups' members I'm waiting for my Yahoo account to be
expired so I can 100% totally abandon everything Yahoo.

Let's not forget the definition of "yahoo":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/yahoo
an uncultivated or boorish person; lout; philistine; yokel.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/yahoo
a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yahoo
a boorish, crass, or stupid person