hacked Yahoo email account yields $600,000+ for hacker
Thad Floryan
2014-02-08 09:53:33 UTC
In this article:

http://www.losaltosonline.com/news/sections/news/200-police-fire/46716-
Wednesday, 05 February 2014 00:06

" {4th item in the Police Blotter}
"
" Fraud
"
" Jan. 30, 10:31 a.m., 300 block of First Street: A downtown
" business owner contacted police after discovering that someone
" hacked his Yahoo email account while he was out of town, which
" led to the unauthorized transfer of more than $600,000 in
" funds. According to police, the hackers in question posed as the
" business owner, used the email account and contacted his
" accountant, requesting two wire transfers totaling approximately
" $640,000 to settle fictitious merchandise bills.

The "business owner" needs a new competent accountant and if it was
my call I would sue that accountant for [at least] negligence.

Though I email the custodian of my retirement accounts the amount
to be transferred to, say, my checking account, not one penny will
be transferred without a verbal confirmation from me either by phone
or in person to avoid problems like the one described above. Lucky
for me, the custodian is in Cupertino, only a 5-minute drive from my
home.

The custodian for my accounts is actually a group of 7 people the head
of which is the same age as me with whom I've been doing business for
40+ years and everyone in the group knows each others' appearance and
voice since we meet regularly both at their office and various functions.

Whenever money is at issue, one can never be too careful, and the above
shows yet another reason to abandon Yahoo -- Yahoo Mail breaches are
legion and have been ongoing for years.

Thad
sms
2014-02-10 00:48:12 UTC
Post by Thad Floryan
Whenever money is at issue, one can never be too careful, and the above
shows yet another reason to abandon Yahoo -- Yahoo Mail breaches are
legion and have been ongoing for years.
While I've convinced most people I know to abandon Yahoo I have two
relatives that are too stubborn to do so even though both of their
accounts have been hacked. Maybe this news story will help convince
them. Maybe it'll even convince David!