AT&T Fiber to the home being installed. Wish it was Sonic!
sms
2014-12-01 18:46:57 UTC
This morning AT&T rang the bell needed access to my back yard. They are
stringing fiber.

I wish it had been Sonic!
David Kaye
2014-12-01 20:52:50 UTC
Post by sms
This morning AT&T rang the bell needed access to my back yard. They are
stringing fiber.
Did you charge them for access? You can do so, y'know. Fiber is not a
utility in the way that electric lines and POTS phone lines are. They're
not regulated by the PUC.

2014-12-01 21:01:23 UTC
Post by sms
This morning AT&T rang the bell needed access to my back yard. They are
stringing fiber.
Did you charge them for access? You can do so, y'know. Fiber is not a
utility in the way that electric lines and POTS phone lines are. They're
not regulated by the PUC.
There is a right-of-way easement. As long as they install in accordance
with the easement, you have little say.
Kevin McMurtrie
2014-12-02 05:33:39 UTC
Post by sms
This morning AT&T rang the bell needed access to my back yard. They are
stringing fiber.
I wish it had been Sonic!
For another U-verse box or real fiber service? AT&T is getting in
trouble for its U-verse ads because so few people are within VDSL range.
People outside that range still get a product called U-verse but it's
just the old AT&T DSL service that's nearly two decades old.

I'm not sure I see a future for Sonic.net. They've been so slow in
their upgrades that their customer base is evaporating. I don't see why
they never got investment money and killed the telcos. Dane has talked
about a U-verse VRAD deal but the details, at least during the planning
stage, were horrific - IPv4 over VPN over AT&T's PPPoE over ATM. Unless
I'm mistaken, that will produce an MTU too small to support IPv6 over
6rd. Hopefully the details that I got are wrong.
--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
sms
2014-12-03 00:18:29 UTC
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
Post by sms
This morning AT&T rang the bell needed access to my back yard. They are
stringing fiber.
I wish it had been Sonic!
For another U-verse box or real fiber service? AT&T is getting in
trouble for its U-verse ads because so few people are within VDSL range.
People outside that range still get a product called U-verse but it's
just the old AT&T DSL service that's nearly two decades old.
Real fiber. They are doing it in selected cities.
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
I'm not sure I see a future for Sonic.net. They've been so slow in
their upgrades that their customer base is evaporating.
Their only real future is in stringing their own fiber. But AT&T is
running around locking up the most profitable areas.

As much as I like Sonic, in January I will likely move to Comcast for
broadband and Ooma for voice and an antenna for TV.
David Kaye
2014-12-03 09:33:22 UTC
Post by sms
Their only real future is in stringing their own fiber. But AT&T is
running around locking up the most profitable areas.
They've realized this for years and they've been building out as fast as has
been financially feasible. When you look at Sonic, they've done remarkably
well against two well-funded giants. If I could get Sonic where I live I'd
be with them.

My Comcast problem is that they don't pay attention to what they're doing.
Here is the kind of stuff I've had to deal with for the past couple weeks:

(1) They mailed me, emailed me, and voicemailed me numerous times about
"upgrading" their modem to the new one, which frankly has nothing more than
a permanent "xfinity" SSID'd router attached. They want to roll out their
wireless everywhere they can so people can connect seamlessly as they
blanket the nation with tens of thousands of wi-fi routers. Sure, I'm happy
to do that. Only trouble is that the new modem/router I picked up at the
store doesn't work and nobody (going up to 3rd level support) could figure
out why it doesn't pass internet. They can see the modem and router and my
own router. They can see everything, but they can't get a connection going.
So, I disconnected and went back to the old modem and tried to phone and
turn it on. Trouble is that it wouldn't turn on via their phone tree. I
had to talk with a real live human who told me that I'm trying to connect an
old modem. Yes, I am because their new one doesn't work. Round and round I
went and finally got it going.

(2) While I was at it I decided to get a couple of their small $2 a month
digital to analog converters. The web page says that it gets "everything"
on whatever plan I have except for on-demand and the program guide. Fine, I
don't need either. Only thing was that the $2 converter does NOT get all
the channels on my plan. It skips about 60 of them! Turns out that the
converter box works only for "basic" cable sort of. So, I had to disconnect
both new $2 a month boxes and put the $10 a month boxes back. Their phone
tree support didn't recognize that I was going back to an old tuner unit and
refused to connect it. Had to talk to tech support in India or wherever,
and they weren't of any help. They finally scheduled a visit last Sunday
morning at 8:00am. I HATED being up that early, but I figured that if I got
the first appointment of the day the tech would be at my house on schedule
and I wouldn't have to wait for 4 hours or whatever.

The tech came as scheduled. "No, you can't get Digital Whatever on your
little boxes. You have to use the big box." "But here, it says right on
your website that the little boxes support ALL my subscribed channels."
"I've worked for Comcast for 5 years and I've never known that to be the
case." "But here it is on the website!" The tech called in to his
supervisor who also denied that the $2 box would connect to everything I
wanted (TCM, Logo, etc). I told him the URL of Comcast's own web page and
the supervisor was befuddled. "Funny, I've never seen THAT before!" "Well,
it's been there at least a couple weeks because that's why I decided to
scale down and save $16 a month with your cheaper boxes."

So, Comcast people are trying their best but the company appears to be a
MESS.

So, I'm back to the old converter boxes and the old modem and I'm still
getting voicemail calls from Comcast about an "urgent message" about my
modem. I'm not sure if anybody at Comcast knows how to turn off the
annoying phone calls.

THIS is why I'd go to Sonic in a heartbeat.