OT: XP to Win 8.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61p
2014-04-10 07:32:25 UTC
The title says it all: Upgrading XP to Win 8.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61p.

I'm posting it here because the Thinkpad is a very hardy machine that's used
a lot in businesses where people here might have some experience.

Has anybody here actually done this upgrade? According to the Lenovo
website this model is supported for video, audio, and whatnot for 8.1, even
though it was made in 2006. My customer doesn't want to ditch it, but an XP
to 8.1 jump could be a lot.

Anyone?
Steve Pope
2014-04-10 07:46:28 UTC
The title says it all: Upgrading XP to Win 8.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61p.
I'm posting it here because the Thinkpad is a very hardy machine that's used
a lot in businesses where people here might have some experience.
Has anybody here actually done this upgrade? According to the Lenovo
website this model is supported for video, audio, and whatnot for 8.1, even
though it was made in 2006. [..]
I have not done this upgrade, but my experience as follows may be
somewhat relevant: I have a Lenovo X61s with XP that I purchased when
it was a new machine, and I also have a Lenovo X61 with Win 7 that I
purchased refurbished just within the past few months.

The "refurbished" machine was in new physical condition, and the
vendor had upgraded it to Win 7. It functions fine, except that
the following is not there: the Lenovo "Rescue/Restore" functionality,
and the full Fn-F7 display mode switching. The display switching
seems to have defaulted to something reasonable, which is rotating
among three possibilities (laptop display, external VGA, and both).
But there is no menu for inserting multiple options with different
display details such as different resolutions.

So it seems to me that the upgrade caused the machine to
degenerate from a Lenovo-configured laptop, to a more generic laptop.

(It may also be that the Lenovo "power profiles" and wireless profile
capabilities are not there. Will have to take a further look.)