New slew of TLDs now available
2014-01-23 21:48:56 UTC
Just received an email from Network Solutions touting this:

"With extensions like .VENTURES, .GURU, .TECHNOLOGY,
.ENTERPRISES, and many more, you can showcase your
products, services, and affiliations through more
personalized and targeted domain names."

Seems the copy writer doesn't understand the difference between
file extensions (e.g., .c, .txt, .exe) and TLDs.

Other new "extensions" include:

BIKE, TIPS, LAND, CAMERA, TODAY, ESTATE, VOYAGE, etc.

What a bloody mess.

Thad
Keith Keller
2014-01-24 03:13:39 UTC
"With extensions like .VENTURES, .GURU, .TECHNOLOGY,
.ENTERPRISES, and many more, you can showcase your
products, services, and affiliations through more
personalized and targeted domain names."
Is this a cruel joke? I wouldn't trust anyone stupid enough to register
a .guru domain.

Here are some more of the monstrosities being unleased on us:

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
Eric Weaver
2014-01-24 16:57:01 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Thad Floryan
"With extensions like .VENTURES, .GURU, .TECHNOLOGY,
.ENTERPRISES, and many more, you can showcase your
products, services, and affiliations through more
personalized and targeted domain names."
Is this a cruel joke? I wouldn't trust anyone stupid enough to register
a .guru domain.
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings
If Paul Vixie were dead today, he'd be rolling in his grave.

As it is he's probably shouting uncontrollably.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-01-24 17:16:03 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 19:13:39 -0800, Keith Keller
Post by Keith Keller
Post by Thad Floryan
"With extensions like .VENTURES, .GURU, .TECHNOLOGY,
.ENTERPRISES, and many more, you can showcase your
products, services, and affiliations through more
personalized and targeted domain names."
Is this a cruel joke? I wouldn't trust anyone stupid enough to register
a .guru domain.
Actually, I just suggested .GURU to one of my customers, which
operates a yoga center and does have a genuine guru as a founder. I'm
sure they will be thrilled to have their domain managed by a donut
company with servers in Australia:
<http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/guru.html>

Would .EXPERT be better for my new domain?
<http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/expert.html>
Something like ***@computah.expert or something similar? They don't
have a .NULL domain. I've always wanted ***@dev.null for handling
my incoming spam traffic. So many possibilities, so little time...
Post by Keith Keller
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings
--keith
Here's bigger and more organized list:
<http://www.1and1.com/download/List_of_new_Top_Level_Domains_from_1and1.pdf>
Any good idea is worth overdoing.

Looks like .SUCKS is on the list. That should make some interesting
new domains. 3,000 have pre-registered for a Feb 2015 launch. This
should be interesting.

Oddly .RIP is available. I'm not quite sure why the dead need a
domain, but stranger things have happened on the internet. Maybe for
zombies, which are undecided?
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
David Kaye
2014-01-24 19:25:33 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Would .EXPERT be better for my new domain?
<http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/expert.html>
my incoming spam traffic. So many possibilities, so little time...
I'm still old-school on this. If I can't get .COM, or .US for business or
.ORG for an organization then I'll think of new domain names until one fits.
But that's me.

On the upside, I can see where domain squatting will become a thing of the
past.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-01-24 23:00:51 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:25:33 -0800, "David Kaye"
Post by David Kaye
On the upside, I can see where domain squatting will become a thing of the
past.
True, but only if the GUM (great unwashed masses) gets used to the
idea of creative top level domains. I have my doubts that this will
happen as I've having problems getting rid of the leading www in my
assorted URL's. No matter what the domain, users prefer to prepend it
with a www. I suspect the same will happen to the new domains.
Instead of whatever.expert as a domain, it will end up
www.whatever.expert.com or something equally disgusting. We shall
soon see.

I'm also wondering if it will be a good idea to register a good name
in all the TLD's. That was feasible when there was only .COM, .ORG,
and .NET, but with 100 new TLD's, that could get rather expensive.

Looks like .COMPUTER is available. How about:
<http://kill.your.computer>
as a web site? Just think of the possibilities.
David Kaye
2014-01-25 01:27:55 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
I'm also wondering if it will be a good idea to register a good name
in all the TLD's. That was feasible when there was only .COM, .ORG,
and .NET, but with 100 new TLD's, that could get rather expensive.
Yeah. My take on this is that .COM will still be far and away the best TLD.
Craigslist and Laughing Squid have registered the top 3 TLDs, and I don't
think they care much about whether someone is going to register
craigslist.website or whatever.

Already I look askance at any domain with weird suffixes, such as o.co or
justin.tv. In fact I kept getting justin.tv confused with Justin Hall's
links.net, as both seemed to be run by self-indulgent types who seemed to
feel that they had Important Things To Say.
David Kaye
2014-01-24 19:13:15 UTC
What a bloody mess.
Just wait until ICANN issues TLDs that match executable file extensions such
as .MSI, .BAT, etc., for for that matter I guess any TLD that matches a
filename that loads a Windows program, such as .DOC, etc. Given that the
address bar is now also the search bar and everybody's so hell-bent on using
browsers for everthing, including viewing local files, I expect total chaos.

Hmmm...now that I think of it, would doctors lobby for the .DOC TLD?

But in reality I don't think that most people are going to take the new TLDs
seriously. Companies are still going to go for .COM first and foremost.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-01-24 23:07:59 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:13:15 -0800, "David Kaye"
What a bloody mess.
Just wait until ICANN issues TLDs that match executable file extensions such
as .MSI, .BAT, etc., for for that matter I guess any TLD that matches a
filename that loads a Windows program, such as .DOC, etc. Given that the
address bar is now also the search bar and everybody's so hell-bent on using
browsers for everthing, including viewing local files, I expect total chaos.
Good point. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to create an
exceptions list within the browser with all the TLD's (including
geographic domains). Also, I checked the list for common file
extensions and didn't see any. Well, there's .CAB which might be a
problem.
Post by David Kaye
Hmmm...now that I think of it, would doctors lobby for the .DOC TLD?
Well, the list includes .DENTIST, .DOCTOR, .MED, .MEDICAL, etc. See:
<http://www.1and1.com/download/List_of_new_Top_Level_Domains_from_1and1.pdf>
Note that .DOCS is also on the list.
Post by David Kaye
But in reality I don't think that most people are going to take the new TLDs
seriously. Companies are still going to go for .COM first and foremost.
Agreed. However, we will eventually run out of clever domain names
that work around the domain squatters. The new domains may not seem
attractive to the user, but they certainly are for the companies and
vendors that need the name, no matter what TLD is attached.
David Kaye
2014-01-25 01:43:34 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Agreed. However, we will eventually run out of clever domain names
that work around the domain squatters. The new domains may not seem
attractive to the user, but they certainly are for the companies and
vendors that need the name, no matter what TLD is attached.
However, there are trademark issues which the new TLDs could circumvent. In
the past there could have been an apple.computer and an apple.records, for
instance.