OT: Cloning Software Recommendations?
2014-06-06 05:27:24 UTC
Yeah, I should know which is best, but I don't. I want to clone the hard
drive on my main Windows XP computer in case it fails. It would be *nice*
if it's software I can schedule to run automatically once a week or so, or
even less often, so it'd have to be Windows-based, meaning that it would
have to be able to clone protected files, etc.

Also, the software should be able to clone from one brand/model of HD to
another, same size or larger. I realize there might be pitfalls to doing
this across HD brands due to specific HD drivers, but I don't know what
those pitfalls are or even if they're important enough to consider.

If my current HD fails I'd like to be able to remove it, pop in the cloned
one, and start up the computer immediately.

Naturally, free and open-source would be preferred, but I'd be willing to
pay for a product up to $100 if it meets all my criteria and works well.

Ideas anyone?

Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-06 05:50:23 UTC
On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 22:27:24 -0700, "David Kaye"
Post by David Kaye
Naturally, free and open-source would be preferred, but I'd be willing to
pay for a product up to $100 if it meets all my criteria and works well.
Same old recommendation. Acronis True Image 2014. About $50 or $80
for three licenses. Does imaging, cloning, incrimental backup,
continuous backup, and more.
<http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup/>

Note: The home/personal version will NOT do server operating systems.
The business/corporate stuff is far more expensive:
<https://store.acronis.com/837/purl-ABR_products_en-US>
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
sms
2014-06-06 16:21:00 UTC
[...]
I use Clonezilla. It seems to work well. They now have UEFI support so
you can clone Windows 8 machines with UEFI secure boot.

I've never used it for scheduled clones but apparently it's possible
only if you're running it on a server. Since it's a boot CD (or USB
stick) it can't be automatic on the machine it's cloning.
d***@42.usenet.us.com
2014-06-27 17:52:19 UTC
Post by sms
I've never used it for scheduled clones but apparently it's possible
only if you're running it on a server. Since it's a boot CD (or USB
stick) it can't be automatic on the machine it's cloning.
Offline cloning is the only good cloning.
Making a copy of a live disk is fraught with peril, especially if it is
automated and might occur at inconvenient times (from a file structure
perspective).