Terror attacks that go un-noticed: San Jose, April 16, 2013
2014-01-16 04:05:00 UTC
That's when there was a massive fiber cut which shut
down the Internet, 911, and much more.

Interesting article -- this is the first I've heard

[...]
that the attacker or attackers then fired more than 100
rounds from a high-powered rifle at several transformers
in the facility. Ten transformers were damaged in one area
of the facility, and three transformer banks were hit in another.

As a result of the attack, cooling oil leaked from a transformer
bank, causing the transformers to overheat and shut down.

Authorities still don’t know, nine months later, who was
responsible for the dramatic and sophisticated attack.
[...]

Be ready for more of same. Article is here:

http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/the-terror-attacks-that-go-unnoticed/
Otto Pylot
2014-01-18 04:27:56 UTC
That's when there was a massive fiber cut which shut
down the Internet, 911, and much more.
Interesting article -- this is the first I've heard
[...]
that the attacker or attackers then fired more than 100
rounds from a high-powered rifle at several transformers
in the facility. Ten transformers were damaged in one area
of the facility, and three transformer banks were hit in another.
As a result of the attack, cooling oil leaked from a transformer
bank, causing the transformers to overheat and shut down.
Authorities still don¹t know, nine months later, who was
responsible for the dramatic and sophisticated attack.
[...]
http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/the-terror-attacks-that-go-unnoticed/
Don't know where you live but it was all over the news here in San
Jose, at least for a couple of days.
--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to: ***@invalid.net
replacing invalid with sonic.
Thad Floryan
2014-01-18 05:37:42 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by Thad Floryan
[...]
http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/the-terror-attacks-that-go-unnoticed/
Don't know where you live but it was all over the news here in San
Jose, at least for a couple of days.
I live here in Silicon Valley and have since 1966. That fiber cut
was also discussed here in ba.internet during the incident because
of loss of access to Internet and telephony gear until the fiber
was repaired, specifically these 4 articles ONLY here in ba.internet:

Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Roy 4/16/2013 8:15 AM
Re: Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Thad 4/16/2013 12:18 PM
Re: Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Roy 4/16/2913 10:00 PM
Re: Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Roy 4/17/2013 7:29 AM

NO NEWSPAPER WEBSITE AT ALL discussed the damage to the transformer
banks by 100+ of military artillery rounds puncturing the oil tanks
used for cooling. That was a deliberate attack on PG&E infrastructure
Only the fiber cuts made the news, so I suppose you didn't bother to
read the entirety of the article I cited above.

Surely you couldn't/wouldn't expect a crap newspaper claiming to be
the "Newspaper of Silicon Valley" (i.e., the San Hoser Mockery, er,
Murky, er, Mercury News) to report something they didn't themselves
investigate and only passed-along heresay with *NO* followups ever.

That's one of many reasons why I cancelled my subscription to the SJMN
and have never looked back.

2014-01-18 06:03:35 UTC
NO NEWSPAPER WEBSITE AT ALL discussed the damage to the transformer
banks by 100+ of military artillery rounds puncturing the oil tanks
used for cooling. That was a deliberate attack on PG&E infrastructure
Only the fiber cuts made the news [....]
Or it could be that the authorities asked the news media to embargo the
story in order to do a better investigation. If the perps don't know how
much the authorities know it's usually easier for them to slip up the next
time. Let's say that the media went balls-out into the story and reported
that a certain type of artillery was used, etc. This tells the perps that
the authorities have been tracking down the source of the ammo, and if they
attack again, they'd switch to another source so as to go undetected. Now,
let's say the perps don't know how much the police know about the ammo. It
would be more likely that they'd use the sam ammo again, perhaps contact the
same supplier, etc., and thus they'd be easier to track the next time.

Criminals tend to do the same crime again if they think they got away with
it. Maybe they don't get caught the first time, but it's more and more
likely they'll be caught in a subsequent crime because they'll accidentally
keep leaving more and more clues if they think nobody was paying attention.
Thad Floryan
2014-01-18 08:43:23 UTC
[...]
Hi David,

If they were "normal" meth-/crack-taking criminals or burglars, I'd agree 100%.

The problem is, the group apparently hasn't been found yet after almost a year
and they apparently left no incriminating evidence except for, perhaps, only
the expended military cartridge brass due to the time to find and collect it all;
you can rest assured there were no fingerprints on the brass. :-)

The perps were clearly pros as the article I cited suggested: first take out
the fiber to "kill" local internet, 911 calls, and more, then take out PG&E's
transformers cutting power to other facilities including sewer plant(s).

There is good indication it was a planned terrorist attack; a "normal"group of
criminals are unlikely to have 100+ rounds of military firepower to puncture the
oil tanks (for cooling) just for the "fun" of it -- the racket must have been
extremely loud given the underground bunker(s); it's arguable this could have
been just a simple training exercise for future upcoming event(s). Who knows?

Just think what would happen if all the high power lines crossing the Bay are
destroyed either by terrorist detonations or an earthquake -- there would be no
power for a long time due to the need to locate (or have to build) and erect new
towers and anchor them in the Bay and run the new power lines across the Bay --
I'd give it 4+ weeks of no power with the related damage that causes: think about
spoiled food, medicines needing refrigeration deteriorating, no power to operate
a home furnace's fan(s) during the Winter months, and more.

One study I read back in the 1970s by an engineer from Bechtel Corp. clearly
stated that terrorists would have their demands met if they controlled (or
disabled) a region's sewer facility(ies) due to the rapid spread of disease and
a rise in the rat population. That's not a nice picture and that was NOT a joke,
it was serious thinking about real potential problems before they occur.

2014-01-18 22:10:36 UTC
The problem is, the group apparently hasn't been found yet after almost a year
and they apparently left no incriminating evidence except for, perhaps, only
the expended military cartridge brass due to the time to find and collect it all;
you can rest assured there were no fingerprints on the brass. :-)
But there can be breaks at any time. How many times do we read that a crime
was solved when one person turned against another and decided to turn them
in in exchange for leniency, or sometimes for nothing at all but the
satisfaction of having a rival jailed?

One of the ways investigators are able to determine whether someone is
really telling the truth about a crime is when they tell something the
investigators know but has NOT been reported in the press.

Otto Pylot
2014-01-18 17:26:52 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by Thad Floryan
[...]
http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/the-terror-attacks-that-go-unnoticed/
Don't know where you live but it was all over the news here in San
Jose, at least for a couple of days.
I live here in Silicon Valley and have since 1966. That fiber cut
was also discussed here in ba.internet during the incident because
of loss of access to Internet and telephony gear until the fiber
Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Roy 4/16/2013 8:15 AM
Re: Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Thad 4/16/2013 12:18 PM
Re: Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Roy 4/16/2913 10:00 PM
Re: Fiber cut -- South Santa Clara County Roy 4/17/2013 7:29 AM
Didn't mean to start an argument here. I remember a lot of buzz when it
happened and even an article in the Mercury Snooze. I think there may
have even been some Bay Area tv news coverage. Not much, but some. I
don't read major online "newspapers" so I assume you are correct in
that the coverage was probably more locally contained, and for a very
short period of time. I did think it was odd that it wasn't more
newsworthy than what it got but with the Boston bombing, it was
probably not deemed worthy enough as far as circulation and exposure
numbers.