The Sonic Problem Again
2014-03-20 18:41:09 UTC
Okay, it turned out that the school customer I had who had all kinds of
problems with Sonic.net's double-DSL ("bonded DSL") service has been having
problems all along.

The story: They had a flaky Zyxel double-DSL modem. The service would cut
in and out. Replaced. It worked fine. Then the new one became flaky.
After going back and forth with Sonic, I finally got it through to them that
the replacement was flaky because it kept reverting to the 169.*.*.* DHCP
address. "Oh, you have a bad modem there." Uh, yes.

Third modem. Seemed everything was working fine, but it wasn't. The school
had spent so much money on me dealing with Sonic that they decided to live
with havin to restart the modem 3 or 4 times a day!

Okay, they moved offices about 100 feet, plugged in the modem and it worked
fine for a couple weeks and then stopped. Sonic said that the modem was
bad.

Fourth Zyxel modem arrived. The school administrator is now an old hand at
plugging things in and looking at training lights (DSL-1, DSL-2). She says
that all the lights are fine, but the one that says Internet is red.

I can't make it over there until Monday, but told her that either of these
scenarios is true:

(1) Sonic needs the serial number of the new modem in order to connect to
it, or,

(2) Sonic is basically screwed and nothing will ever work right.

I suggested that if she can't get the 4th modem to work properly then it's
time to switch to AT&T. Upstairs in the church rectory they have AT&T DSL
and it's been fine all along. Sonic had sent out a tech specifically to
check on the AT&T wiring Sonic is using and it checked out fine.

She went with Sonic because it was a locally-owned company.
Steve Pope
2014-03-20 18:48:26 UTC
[...]
This is reminiscent of an issue I've had with Sonic, on and off,
for many years. I have tried to ask them, "If the modem is synched
up, please transport data to it regardless", but apparently the
DHCP protocol makes this difficult. The leases seem quick to expire
and slow to renew.

2014-03-20 19:19:06 UTC
It sounds to me that it is time to switch to another ISP.. Hold
Sonic.net to the same criteria as anyone else. They are taking the
money and not delivering.
2014-03-20 19:37:37 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
This is reminiscent of an issue I've had with Sonic, on and off,
for many years. I have tried to ask them, "If the modem is synched
up, please transport data to it regardless", but apparently the
DHCP protocol makes this difficult. The leases seem quick to expire
and slow to renew.
It sounds to me that it is time to switch to another ISP.. Hold
Sonic.net to the same criteria as anyone else. They are taking the
money and not delivering.
It's not that extreme an issue. Sonic is still a bargain compared
to AT&T, and I think those are the only two DSL providers worth
considering. Could be mistaken.

Steve
b***@MIX.COM
2014-03-20 21:12:11 UTC
Fourth Zyxel modem arrived. The school administrator is now an old hand at
plugging things in and looking at training lights (DSL-1, DSL-2). She says
that all the lights are fine, but the one that says Internet is red.
I haven't used any newer Zyxel stuff, but as regards their older modems, I
can say the 645 craps out exactly as you've described, regularly, and the
643 does not. I have a friend I moved to a 643, and I haven't heard from
her (no complaint) in seven years. My impression is the difference is in
how the modem recovers from various events at the telco (DSLAM) end.

The moral of this story - try a different model (if not make) of modem.

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
bcc 20$ ; not a number
David Kaye
2014-03-21 05:46:57 UTC
Post by b***@MIX.COM
I haven't used any newer Zyxel stuff, but as regards their older modems, I
can say the 645 craps out exactly as you've described, regularly, and the
643 does not. I have a friend I moved to a 643, and I haven't heard from
her (no complaint) in seven years.
This is the Zyxel "663HN-51 802.11n ADSL2+ Bonded 4-port gateway" according
to the unit. When the thing works it pulls at least 25mbps over 2 POTS
lines. So, when it works it's fabulous.
Glenn Geller
2014-03-21 01:43:48 UTC
I've put about 15 people on Sonic Fusion over the
last few years. My modem of choice is the TP-Link
8616:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=60514&vpn=TD-8616

Its default settings work beautifully with Sonic
Fusion. Fortunately, it has no router capability:
strictly bridge mode for Sonic, which is ideal:
I don't want accidental router functionality to
arise on any modem I use. I connect a real
router to this modem.

This modem is not available locally. Central
Computers comes close with a sister
model, the 8717, but that model has router
capability (and costs more).
me at
2014-03-22 13:30:10 UTC
Went through a very similar story. Long story. Many modems.
Finally had a tech ask me the question about the motion sensors.
Check for motion sensing lights somewhere in the building.
Cannot remember why it is an issue, but it was the problem.
It is the reason I switched from DSL to cable.
--
Vic