Google exec sees Google Fiber as a 'moneymaker'
2014-02-20 07:38:13 UTC
A reader comment to this article:

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/02/19/google-offers-mv-better-internet-access

cited this link:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57586894-93/google-exec-sees-google-fiber-as-a-moneymaker/

As the commenter wrote:

Google Fiber in Mountain View will be amazing if it happens, but
it's not a "gift". My understanding is that it's intended to be
profitable, even ignoring any benefit to Google's other lines of
business. Web Link Which really goes to show just how much
Comcast has been gouging us...

(Full disclosure: I work for Google. I don't have anything to do
with Google Fiber, though.)

Here's the pricing per the C|Net article:

Google offers only two tiers of service for its residential
broadband service: a 1Gbps service for $70 a month and a 5Mbps
service that is free with a $300 fiber installation fee that can
be paid for over two years. While the 1Gbps service is slightly
higher than the $40 to $50 most consumers pay each month for
broadband, it's still a better value.

Those other services priced at that amount generally only offer
5Mbps to 10Mbps of download speeds and even slower upload
connections. Providers that are offering 100Mbps of broadband
service are charging $300 or $400 a month. At $70 for 1Gbps,
Google Fiber is simply a better value. It offers 10 times the
capacity for less than a third or a quarter of the cost. Even
providers that can offer 1Gbps of service are charging over
$1,000 a month for that service.

Thad
Kevin McMurtrie
2014-02-21 04:53:29 UTC
[...]
Sonic.net claims that they make a profit off a similar service. The
only problem is that they don't seem to be seeking investment money to
do it. For all their years of talking about it, only one neighborhood
is being served and another neighborhood is being prepared for service.
Thad Floryan
2014-02-21 06:10:37 UTC
Post by Kevin McMurtrie
Post by Thad Floryan
[...]
http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/02/19/google-offers-mv-better-internet-access
[...]
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57586894-93/google-exec-sees-google-fiber-as-a-moneymaker/
[...]
Sonic.net claims that they make a profit off a similar service. The
only problem is that they don't seem to be seeking investment money to
do it. For all their years of talking about it, only one neighborhood
is being served and another neighborhood is being prepared for service.
Sonic was selected by Google to install Google Fiber at Stanford per the
thread here during November 2010 with this "Subject:"

Subject: Re: Sonic.net Selected by Google to Operate Stanford Fiber Network

However, Googling the following search query:

who installed google fiber at stanford university

doesn't find Sonic mentioned at all. Perhaps it was too much work and a
long travel distance (from Santa Rosa ?) for Sonic to perform. Here is
the relevant portion of the first page of search results:

Google Fiber Stanford - Dattorro
http://www.dattorro.com/fiber.html

Google Fiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber

Stanford Daily | Google tests ultra high-speed fiber network on campus
http://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/07/14/google-tests-ultra-high-speed-fiber-network-on-campus/

dailywireless.org » Google: Fiber Installed at Stanford
http://www.dailywireless.org/2010/10/21/google-fiber-installed-at-stanford/

Google to build and test high-speed network in ... - Stanford News
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/october/google-highspeed-network-102110.html

Google Fiber network speed test boasts impressive results ...
http://9to5google.com/2011/08/22/google-fiber-network-speed-test-boasts-impressive-results/

Google fiber network beta goes live at Stanford - Network World
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/082311-google-fiber-250010.html

Stanford Residents First to Get Google Ultra High-Speed Internet ...
http://paloalto.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/stanford-residents-first-to-get-google-ultra-high-spe8f6a64ba9c

There is a difference between "install" and "operate"
Thad Floryan
2014-02-21 06:50:38 UTC
[...]
who installed google fiber at stanford university
doesn't find Sonic mentioned at all. Perhaps it was too much work and a
long travel distance (from Santa Rosa ?) for Sonic to perform. Here is
[...]
There is a difference between "install" and "operate"
Hi Roy,

Touché! :-)

However, I do remember (but didn't file in my archives) that someone
had written Sonic would also be doing the install. It's moot now.

Googling using this search query:

who operates stanford university's google fiber network

finds these relevant items from the first page of results noting there's
nothing more recent than late 2011 so it's not clear if Sonic is still
operating the Stanford Google Fiber network:

Sonic.net Selected by Google to Operate Stanford Fiber Network
https://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2010/12/13/sonic-net-selected-by-google-to-operate-stanford-fiber-network/

Sonic.net Blogs » Fiber
http://corp.sonic.net/blogs/?cat=147

Sonic.net Selected By Google To Operate Stanford Fiber ... - PRWeb

Re: Sonic.net Selected by Google to Operate Stanford Fiber Network ...
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ba.internet/4omWhNJZ3zQ/W4hSmHD-pmQJ

Sonic.net Will Manage Google's Stanford Fiber Network — Tech ...
http://gigaom.com/2010/12/13/sonic-net-will-manage-google%E2%80%99s-stanford-fiber-network/

Google taps Sonic.net to operate its Stanford FTTH network ...
http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/google-taps-sonicnet-operate-its-stanford-ftth-network/2010-12-13

Stanford Daily | Google Fiber tests ultra high-speed network on ...
http://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/07/14/google-fiber-tests-ultra-high-speed-network-on-campus/

2014-02-21 07:04:47 UTC
[...]
who installed google fiber at stanford university
doesn't find Sonic mentioned at all. Perhaps it was too much work and a
long travel distance (from Santa Rosa ?) for Sonic to perform. Here is
[...]
There is a difference between "install" and "operate"
Hi Roy,
Touché! :-)
However, I do remember (but didn't file in my archives) that someone
had written Sonic would also be doing the install. It's moot now.
[...]
Sonic.net Selected by Google to Operate Stanford Fiber Network
https://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2010/12/13/sonic-net-selected-by-google-to-operate-stanford-fiber-network/
[...]
The above article states in the 2nd paragraph (which is what I remembered
which is why I couldn't find it in my ba.internet archives):

" [...]
" Sonic.net will manage operation of the network, provide customer
" service and support and perform on-site installation and
" repair. Sonic.net is Northern California’s leading independent
" Internet service provider.
" [...]

Please note "on-site installation". :-)

Please consider the "touché" rescinded. :-)

2014-02-21 16:30:52 UTC
Article in today's Mercuty News re Google fiber

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_25194397/google-fiber-may-be-fast-but-it-takes

Quotes

"Google wasn't extending service to neighborhoods that didn't reach a
threshold of customers that would make it cost-effective to string fiber
to them."

"Aaron Deacon, who worked with community groups on signing people up for
the service, organized a crowdfunding campaign when he discovered that
the sign-up process was part of the problem. Google required a $10
preregistration payment that it would only take online via credit card.

"Going door to door, I encountered these problems -- they didn't have a
credit card, or they didn't get paid until next week, or sometimes it
was "What's the Internet again?'" said Deacon, who has founded a
nonprofit called KC Digital Drive."

Bottom line of the story: Google is not only picking the "low hanging
fruit" of cities but then again by neighborhoods. If you live in one of
the bypassed neighborhoods, you are basically stuck on cable/DSL
provided by companies who will be uninterested in upgrading their service
sms
2014-02-21 17:13:00 UTC
Bottom line of the story: Google is not only picking the "low hanging
fruit" of cities but then again by neighborhoods. If you live in one of
the bypassed neighborhoods, you are basically stuck on cable/DSL
provided by companies who will be uninterested in upgrading their service
As did AT&T with U-Verse. As did Verizon with FIOS.