Stooopid Smart Switch
2014-09-09 10:22:15 UTC
Okay, here's the deal: There's a Comcast modem/router which feeds into a
router which feeds into 4 routers which each feed into wireless access
points or act as their own WAPs. Totally there are 11 wireless in all.

The router after the Comcast unit burned out. So, I figured that since
Comcast is providing DHCP and there are other routers elsewhere and they all
are providing DHCP, I'd put in a smart switch to replace the burned out
router. I figured that the high speed ports and the lack of DHCP and
whatnot would make things handshake faster and make the throughput fast.

Okay, when I hook up the Comcast and any one of the 4 routers, everything is
fine. Router talkes to Comcast like and old friend. And fast, too. But
when I plug in the other routers, they ignore Comcast and try talking to
each other. Bummer.

I've had good success with TP-Link, and this is their 8-port smart switch.
And since there is no port designated as WAN, they all kind of talk to each
other instead of to Comcast. Well, one always talks to Comcast. I've never
seen a situation like this.

So, I guess it's back to putting in a router instead of the switch, or
getting a switch that will treat Comcast as an input and not as a peer.
Aaaarrrggghhh!

2014-09-09 15:28:48 UTC
Cable routers have settings where the first thing to request an IP from
the DHCP server gets placed in one mode of operation and subsequent
devices are placed in another category.
2014-09-09 20:18:15 UTC
Cable routers have settings where the first thing to request an IP from
the DHCP server gets placed in one mode of operation and subsequent
devices are placed in another category.
Hmmm...okay. Well, lacking other ideas and not wanting to take chances on
buying another switch I guess I'll put in another router instead of the
switch. That way Comcast gets only one request.

2014-09-10 08:02:12 UTC
Hmmm...okay. Well, lacking other ideas and not wanting to take chances on
buying another switch I guess I'll put in another router instead of the
switch. That way Comcast gets only one request.
I replaced the switch with a router and everything is fine. I guess things
didn't suffer too much; at the end of one system (Comcast, new router,
router, WAP) the throughput was still about 30Mbps out of 75 delivered.