PATA - SATA
2014-03-07 20:26:25 UTC
I have an old XP machine here that I use for some minor stuff and games.
Its a 2.4 Ghz Celeron so Windows 7 is out :-)

I would like to replace the old hard drive with a cheap SSD. The
problem is the interface is the old IDE/ATA

Anyone had experience with one of the SATA adapters like

http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4
sms
2014-03-07 20:42:43 UTC
I have an old XP machine here that I use for some minor stuff and games.
Its a 2.4 Ghz Celeron so Windows 7 is out :-)
I would like to replace the old hard drive with a cheap SSD. The
problem is the interface is the old IDE/ATA
Anyone had experience with one of the SATA adapters like
http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4
I think that this is the wrong direction, despite the product name.

Do you have a free PCI slot?
<http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&p_id=2664?>
Jeff Liebermann
2014-03-08 00:04:16 UTC
I have an old XP machine here that I use for some minor stuff and games.
Its a 2.4 Ghz Celeron so Windows 7 is out :-)
I would like to replace the old hard drive with a cheap SSD. The
problem is the interface is the old IDE/ATA
Anyone had experience with one of the SATA adapters like
http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4
Yes. They're problematic. They either work immediately, or no amount
of tinkering will make them work. Two drives on a single IDE ribbon
cable also don't work for me. However, at the price, it's probably
easier to try it than to debate the possible complications. You might
try a one way SATA drive to PATA/IDE, as well as the bi-directional
flavor.

If your ancient Celeron has a 33MBytes/sec PATA bus, you're not going
to get SSD speeds out of the machine with a bus that slow a bus. SATA
2 is 300MBytes/sec.

Good luck.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Roy
2014-03-08 00:33:02 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Roy
[...]
I think the drive in there is 40GB with a spin rate of about 78 RPM (old
phonograph motor) and a seek time measured in minutes and not
milliseconds :-)

The drive change is for speed but more so to have a replacement drive.
This computer is from 2004 and that drive is probably getting tired.

Finding a new replacement drive is basically impossible so I have to go
to SATA. An SSD drive of 64GB is less than $50 for bargain brands these
days.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7739486&CatId=5298
Jeff Liebermann
2014-03-08 00:57:12 UTC
Finding a new replacement drive is basically impossible so I have to go
to SATA. An SSD drive of 64GB is less than $50 for bargain brands these
days.
I have a fairly large PHD (pile of hard disks) of the 30/40/80/120GB
PATA flavor. Most are 40GB WD and Seagate drives. Send me your
mailing address and I'll ship you one or two. If I have time, I'll
clean off the data and test them:
b***@MIX.COM
2014-03-08 05:11:06 UTC
Finding a new replacement drive is basically impossible so I have to go
to SATA. An SSD drive of 64GB is less than $50 for bargain brands these
days.
Here's a new 250GB drive for $44.99

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD2500JB/

I've bought a lot of stuff from these guys, including a 160GB
version of this same disk (doesn't seem to be available now).
They're a decent company.

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
bcc 20$ ; not a number
David Kaye
2014-03-08 11:15:14 UTC
Finding a new replacement drive is basically impossible so I have to go to
SATA. An SSD drive of 64GB is less than $50 for bargain brands these
days.
Central Computer has 4 PATA/IDE drives listed. Or am I missing something
here?
https://centralcomputers.com/ccc1107-ide-hard-disk-hd-hard-disk-disk-ide-hd-disk-ide-hard-disk.htm