Ooma VoIP never ceases to amaze me
2014-07-02 20:18:05 UTC
Being retired and due to one of my hobbies being astronomy, I seldom
awake before 12noon so anyone calling me before 12noon automatically
goes to voicemail -- either Ooma VoIP or AT&T Wireless.

Not only can one listen to Ooma voicemail over the phone, one can also
listen to it over the web and download the voice mail as MP3s for one's
archival purposes. Additionally, Ooma's voice quality is far superior
to AT&T's. See this small screenshot of my Ooma voicemail INBOX:

Here are the sizes of the two voicemails so far this week I downloaded;
this is really a nice feature and puts AT&T Wireless voicemail to shame:

792518 Jul 2 11:36 vm_20140630_1107.mp3
181254 Jul 2 11:35 vm_20140701_1144.mp3

Ooma's service is very reminiscent of the Asterisk (on Linux) systems
I've setup and operated for clients and employers over the years noting
Asterisk saves voicemail in WAV49 (compressed for email), GSM (same size
as WAV49), and WAV (uncompressed, large file, excellent quality). For
email, WAV49 is used, and for playback the optimum format will be chosen
depending on the codec present on the current channel -- typically WAV.

For those unfamiliar with Asterisk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_%28PBX%29

2014-07-02 22:48:42 UTC
http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Ooma_VMail_INBOX_-_20140702.png 154kB
Here are the sizes of the two voicemails so far this week I downloaded;
792518 Jul 2 11:36 vm_20140630_1107.mp3
181254 Jul 2 11:35 vm_20140701_1144.mp3
Ooma's service is very reminiscent of the Asterisk (on Linux) systems
I've setup and operated for clients and employers over the years noting
Asterisk saves voicemail in WAV49 (compressed for email), GSM (same size
as WAV49), and WAV (uncompressed, large file, excellent quality). For
email, WAV49 is used, and for playback the optimum format will be chosen
depending on the codec present on the current channel -- typically WAV.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_%28PBX%29
Thad
Even better, OOMA will email voicemail to you as an attachement
d***@96.usenet.us.com
2014-08-27 22:43:17 UTC
Even better, OOMA will email voicemail to you as an attachement
AT&T Voicemail, in the standard variety, was not usable for me, out here in
the sticks with spotty coverage.
Blackberry offered Visual Voicemail. Not sure why it was called that, but
it would automatically deposit an mp3 on my Blackberry, for better quality
listening.

I was disappointed that my whizbang Android phone had no access to a
similar feature, so I started using Google Voice for my voicemail.

It records an mp3 delivered to me as either an MMS attachment or an email
attachment. It also transcribes the audio to text. I usually try to make
sense of the transcription, so that I can get a chuckle over the
transcription when I actually listen to the message.

When I moved my number to Verizon, it seems as if the voicemail is stuck on
Google Voice. The Verizon phone thinks it is locally configured for
voicemail, and I can call in and set it up and such, but I never get a
message there. It always comes in on Google Voice.