San Mateo Electronics !!!!
2014-10-03 00:09:35 UTC
Okay, I finally went to San Mateo Electronics. I'd never seen it before
though I spent a couple years attending CSM back in the day.

It was love at first sight. It looked like an electronics store; it smelled
like an electronics store. Oh, shades of E.C. Wenger, Airport Electronics,
Hayward Electronics, and the original Radio Shack at Bay Fair Mall back in
the day when they carried ham gear, etc.

I needed 3 pair of those 2.1mm coaxial male and female power connectors. I
drove all the way to SM to buy them not even knowing whether they'd have
them or not. They did. Unfortunately I was on a schedule else I would have
scoured the aisles and spent hundreds of dollars buying up stuff that "may
come in handy someday".

They even carry TUBES!

Link: http://www.smelectronics.com/

Oh, I'm SO happy! It's like being 14 years old again!

2014-10-03 03:43:03 UTC
Okay, I finally went to San Mateo Electronics. I'd never seen it before
though I spent a couple years attending CSM back in the day.
It was love at first sight. It looked like an electronics store; it smelled
like an electronics store. Oh, shades of E.C. Wenger, Airport Electronics,
Hayward Electronics, and the original Radio Shack at Bay Fair Mall back in
the day when they carried ham gear, etc.
I needed 3 pair of those 2.1mm coaxial male and female power connectors. I
drove all the way to SM to buy them not even knowing whether they'd have
them or not. They did. Unfortunately I was on a schedule else I would have
scoured the aisles and spent hundreds of dollars buying up stuff that "may
come in handy someday".
They even carry TUBES!
Link: http://www.smelectronics.com/
Oh, I'm SO happy! It's like being 14 years old again!
Hi David,

Yep, San Mateo Electronics is *THE* specialty store and
it's been in business for 50 years now:

http://www.smelectronics.com

They've saved my ass so many times by having parts that
no one else in the Bay Area carries or even knows about.

Here's one example: caterpillar grommets. I needed several
feet and when I called them they knew what I was talking about
and they had them in stock. Here's what they look like:

That was the time I was cutting 4" diameter holes in steel
cabinets and I needed the caterpillar grommets to provide a
safe surface protecting cables I was running; without the
grommets on the "inside" of the holes, cables would abrade.

And their selection of chemicals is simply amazing -- it's
the only place I can get 99.9% isopropyl alcohol which I
need for my telescopes' and cameras' optics and I always
keep at least 4 containers on hand:

http://www.smelectronics.com/MGchemical.htm

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/electronic-cleaners/isopropyl-alcohol-824/

Beware using normal drugstore isopropyl (70-90%) as it'll often
have lanolin and other crap in it for massage use and "lanolin"
will NOT appear on the contents listing even though it's in the
container.

SME is a physically small store and it's incredible how much
"stuff" they have in stock.

2014-10-03 05:14:09 UTC
[...]
http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/jpg/ms21266.jpg
http://images1.cableorganizer.com/richco/grommet-strips/images/01-molded-grommet-strips.jpg
That was the time I was cutting 4" diameter holes in steel
cabinets and I needed the caterpillar grommets to provide a
safe surface protecting cables I was running; without the
grommets on the "inside" of the holes, cables would abrade.
[...]
I even used the caterpillar grommets on a forklift I modded for
one of my heavier scopes for safety after realizing that lifting,
carrying, and mounting it 3 times was an accident waiting to happen
given it weighs 125 pounds and the ground is often dewey which is why
I use a golf cart for another scope after I once slipped on dewed
grass carrying it but recovered safely with no damage or injury to
it or me:

You can see the grommets at the upper left and right corners of the
orange panel here which prevents me getting cut:

For the curious, here are the other lift pix in sequence: