Thad Floryan, RIP
Paul E Coad
2015-01-23 18:47:51 UTC
Thad has passed:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?pid=173735284

According to the article is was in December. The funeral
was two weeks ago.

He was very active in this group.

--paul

My is valid coad sonic net
address not use: at dot
Roy

address not use: at dot
Eli the Bearded
2015-01-23 20:48:46 UTC
Post by Paul E Coad
He was very active in this group.
Yeah, I've not been here that long, but I recognized the name. Doesn't
seem like it was that long ago that he last posted here, too.

So it goes.

Elijah
------
Usenet continues to die off
Jeff Liebermann
2015-01-24 17:13:02 UTC
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 20:48:46 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
Post by Eli the Bearded
Doesn't
seem like it was that long ago that he last posted here, too.
RIP. His last posting in ba.internet was in early October.
Post by Eli the Bearded
Usenet continues to die off
To be replaced by what? Twitter?
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Julian Macassey
2015-01-24 19:53:11 UTC
Post by Eli the Bearded
Usenet continues to die off
To be replaced by what? Twitter?
Good God! Twitter where the self absorbed tweet to the
self obsessed.
--
Cutting Libraries in a recession is like cutting hospitals in a
plague. - Eleanor Crumblehulme
David Kaye
2015-01-24 22:29:37 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
To be replaced by what? Twitter?
Considering how many startups reinvent the wheel, I'm surprised, shocked
really, that nobody has created a startup out of Usenet, with a snazzy
interface. There's already plenty of content, which is what most startups
are looking for, so it seems like a slam dunk to re-create Usenet for the
21st century.

(null)
2015-01-25 00:12:35 UTC
So how do you monetize it?
David Kaye
2015-01-25 00:43:36 UTC
Post by (null)
So how do you monetize it?
How is anything monetized on the internet? You recruit a cute 20-something
boytoy who knows how to code, send him around to raise money from gullible
investors, take the money, sell the company to Google, Microsoft, or Amazon,
then retire.

sms
2015-01-25 16:47:15 UTC
Post by (null)
So how do you monetize it?
How is anything monetized on the internet? You recruit a cute 20-something
boytoy who knows how to code, send him around to raise money from gullible
investors, take the money, sell the company to Google, Microsoft, or Amazon,
then retire.
I think that Dejanews already did that. Too bad Google wrecked it. But
they probably decided to destroy it because they could not find a way to
monetize it.
David Kaye
2015-01-26 08:43:32 UTC
Post by sms
I think that Dejanews already did that. Too bad Google wrecked it. But
they probably decided to destroy it because they could not find a way to
monetize it.
How is it destroyed? There are still all kinds of Usenet servers around the
world. The only major damage that was done was when the big ISPs such as
Comcast and AT&T stopped carrying Usenet after worries about kiddie porn
being transmitted in the binaries. But today most Usenet servers don't even
carry the binaries.

It's just a matter of someone making Usenet cool by designing a new
interface and promoting it.

Peter Lawrence
2015-01-26 08:57:47 UTC
It's just a matter of someone making Usenet cool by designing a new
interface and promoting it.
Twitter could add a link to Usenet from their app where if someones mentions
an Usenet newsgroup using a hashtag (i.e. #ba.internet ) the tweet would
automatically post to the hash-tagged newsgroup.

;)
Eric Weaver
2015-01-26 14:29:47 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by David Kaye
It's just a matter of someone making Usenet cool by designing a new
interface and promoting it.
Twitter could add a link to Usenet from their app where if someones
mentions an Usenet newsgroup using a hashtag (i.e. #ba.internet ) the
tweet would automatically post to the hash-tagged newsgroup.
They COULD, but why would they add an interface to something only their
grandparents use?
David Kaye
2015-01-26 22:25:31 UTC
Post by Eric Weaver
They COULD, but why would they add an interface to something only their
grandparents use?
About 15 years ago swing dancing became cool again. Today the Edwardian
Ball is the hallmark of cool. Usenet could be made cool, too. We're
talking 20-year old web geniuses here, y'know?

Keith Keller
2015-01-26 16:00:22 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Twitter could add a link to Usenet from their app where if someones mentions
an Usenet newsgroup using a hashtag (i.e. #ba.internet ) the tweet would
automatically post to the hash-tagged newsgroup.
That'd just extend September!

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
2015-01-26 22:26:23 UTC
Thad would be chuckling now to know that we're using his name to promote
making Usenet the Next Cool Thing...

sms
2015-01-26 16:29:23 UTC
Post by sms
I think that Dejanews already did that. Too bad Google wrecked it. But
they probably decided to destroy it because they could not find a way to
monetize it.
How is it destroyed? There are still all kinds of Usenet servers around the
world. The only major damage that was done was when the big ISPs such as
Comcast and AT&T stopped carrying Usenet after worries about kiddie porn
being transmitted in the binaries. But today most Usenet servers don't even
carry the binaries.
It's just a matter of someone making Usenet cool by designing a new
interface and promoting it.
I'm saying that Google wrecked Dejanews, not that Google wrecked Usenet.

Dejanews was great when you could search the archives, though I suspect
some people are thrilled that others can't do that anymore.

Any Usenet front end would have to deal with the kinds of bizarre people
in ba.broadcast and automatically de-spam the groups with a massive
filtering database and algorithms.

I would worry about a situation like with Yelp. You see how poorly the
Yelp filter works. Yelp filters out massive numbers of legitimate
reviews with their algorithms, making Yelp almost useless (personally, I
still use Yelp and I avoid businesses that are Yelp advertisers, and
always read the "Not Recommended" reviews). Of course any reviews I
write are quickly filtered out by Yelp even though they are all
completely legitimate.

I.e.
<http://www.yelp.com/biz/mike-howard-garage-doors-campbell?sort_by=date_desc>
I have my sole remaining review which is now "Not Recommended" of course.
Peter Lawrence
2015-01-26 17:35:30 UTC
Post by sms
Post by David Kaye
Post by sms
[...]
You're simply not trustworthy in Yelp's eyes.

Maybe if you didn't keep removing almost all your reviews, Yelp would one
day start to trust you as a valid reviewer. For the first year or two I was
on Yelp, my reviews kept appearing and disappearing due to Yelp's fabled and
lambasted filtering algorithm. But finally, they stuck.

Yelp is probably flagging your reviews due to how you use (or not use) Yelp.
BTW, do you use the Yelp app on your smartphone while logged into your
Yelp account? Among my friends, those who regularly use Yelp tend to have
their reviews stick (and been seen as legitimate), while those who rarely
use Yelp while logged in tend to have their reviews disappear (at least
temporarily).

BTW, why did you remove your rating and review of Yelp, itself?

- Peter
David Kaye
2015-01-26 22:23:53 UTC
Post by sms
Dejanews was great when you could search the archives, though I suspect
some people are thrilled that others can't do that anymore.
I was asked by Brewster Kahle at the Internet Archive to "organize" the
Usenet archives. What I found was that there's basically nothing to do.
There are two main Usenet archives. The past is DejaNews, which Google has
given to the Archives. The present is GigaNews, which regularly gives them
Usenet. From various searches I've done I can't say that I've found
anything missing.
Post by sms
Any Usenet front end would have to deal with the kinds of bizarre people
in ba.broadcast and automatically de-spam the groups with a massive
filtering database and algorithms.
The process is simple. Don't present binaries and messages that are posted
in more than one newsgroup. Those two things eliminate about 80% of the
crap right there. But even if crap does get in, what crap are we comparing
it to? Twitter? Youtube? All the flashy web services are filled with
crap. This would be nothing more.

2015-01-27 02:36:14 UTC
Post by sms
Any Usenet front end would have to deal with the kinds of bizarre people
in ba.broadcast and automatically de-spam the groups with a massive
filtering database and algorithms.
The process is simple. Don't present binaries and messages that are posted
in more than one newsgroup. Those two things eliminate about 80% of the
crap right there. But even if crap does get in, what crap are we comparing
it to? Twitter? Youtube? All the flashy web services are filled with
crap. This would be nothing more.
What about creating an OpenSocial front-end for Usenet?

Steve
Bhairitu
2015-01-26 19:32:37 UTC
Post by sms
I think that Dejanews already did that. Too bad Google wrecked it. But
they probably decided to destroy it because they could not find a way to
monetize it.
How is it destroyed? There are still all kinds of Usenet servers around the
world. The only major damage that was done was when the big ISPs such as
Comcast and AT&T stopped carrying Usenet after worries about kiddie porn
being transmitted in the binaries. But today most Usenet servers don't even
carry the binaries.
It's just a matter of someone making Usenet cool by designing a new
interface and promoting it.
It's always fun to see what the Teranews login of the day is going to
be. They've had 3 different ways to log in. These days the trick seems
to be come to ba.internet and try to login (less luck with
ba.broadcast). After a few tries given a break for their pet gerbil to
look up my account it will connect. And looking it up on Google I'm not
the only one with the problem.
Peter Lawrence
2015-01-25 03:34:10 UTC
Post by Eli the Bearded
Doesn't
seem like it was that long ago that he last posted here, too.
RIP. His last posting in ba.internet was in early October.
Mid-November in regards to Sonic Fusion.

RIP, Thad.

- Peter
David Kaye
2015-01-25 11:43:42 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Mid-November in regards to Sonic Fusion.
RIP, Thad.
He was a wealth of good information and always treated people with respect.
It is so unfortunate to lose him.

2015-01-25 21:26:59 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Mid-November in regards to Sonic Fusion.
RIP, Thad.
He was a wealth of good information and always treated people with respect.
It is so unfortunate to lose him.
Agree on all points. RIP.

Steve
Eli the Bearded
2015-02-04 23:11:57 UTC
Post by Eli the Bearded
Usenet continues to die off
To be replaced by what? Twitter?
I've recently been using a Discourse based web forum. While "all software
sucks", Discourse sucks a whole lot less than any other forum I've used.
The threading is not as sophisticated as, say, the article tree in trn,
but it makes phpbb (or any of the other BB derivatives) and vbulletin
look like primative relics.

I'm not sure that it will be able to scale to the thousands of nuanced
groups that netnews is easily capable of handling, but it certainly
seems capable of handling scores or low hundreds.

Discourse is written by the same people who started Stack Overflow, so
they have some good understanding of how to make usable software.

I fully admit that I don't recognize many of the names in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software

so I can't say that they all suck as bad as phpbb/vbulletin, but the wide
open discuss most anything install of Discourse I've been on has been a
lot of fun. And it has given me hope for a web forum future.

Elijah
------
the install limitations of Discourse do give one cause for concern
sms
Sad, he provided very useful responses.
Tak Nakamoto
2015-01-30 22:01:14 UTC
"Paul E Coad" wrote:
Thad has passed:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?pid=173735284

According to the article is was in December. The funeral
was two weeks ago.

He was very active in this group.

--paul

I'm sorry to read about Thad. I'm not a regular in this group and only
participate occasionally when I have internet/computer/cell phone questions.

I last interacted with him when I was having problems with my cell service.
It turned out to be a trivial problem but Thad approached my problem with
respect and enthusiasm. It didn't seem to matter to him whether the
technical problems were major or minor. He seemed to thrive over getting to
a good solution. And those who don't want to address their own problems
received his wrath (SFGate.com)

Though I only knew him here, he seemed to be a very good man. I will miss
his willingness to share his knowledge.

Tak Nakamoto
d***@81.usenet.us.com
2015-02-20 22:17:30 UTC
Post by Paul E Coad
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?pid=173735284
I met Thad in person at an AT&T Unix PC users club meeting, probably 1988,
or somewhere around there.
He had amassed quite an array of Unix hardware by scrounging the "surplus"
sales at computer anufacturers.
Clarence A Dold - Santa Rosa, CA, USA GPS: 38.47,-122.65
Julian Macassey
2015-02-23 16:14:07 UTC
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 22:17:30 +0000 (UTC),
Post by d***@81.usenet.us.com
Post by Paul E Coad
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?pid=173735284
I met Thad in person at an AT&T Unix PC users club meeting, probably 1988,
or somewhere around there.
Ah, the fabled 3B1. My entry into a Unix box at home. I
recall asking a mentor (pundit, not guru) if there was an LA Unix
Users Group. He laughed and showed me usenet. I was hooked. The
perfect solution to all matters social and technical.
Post by d***@81.usenet.us.com
He had amassed quite an array of Unix hardware by scrounging the "surplus"
sales at computer anufacturers.
Halsted Specialties had stacks of 3B1/Unix PC power
supplies. A group of Orthodox Jews in the LA Fairfax district sold
new in box 3B1s for cash.

Many 3B1s were used as props in Hollywood productions.
--
Banks are an almost irresistible attraction for that element of
our society which seeks unearned money. - J. Edgar Hoover