Domain Registrar Recommendations?
2014-02-21 04:42:43 UTC
I have a number of domain names coming due soon. They're currently listed
with GoDaddy, and I want something that is cheaper than $20 per name and has
a bit more flexibility (such as email redirects and such) than what I'm
getting from GoDaddy.

Recommendations? I was looking for the past thread on the topic but I can't
seem to find it, though it appears that my eternal-september account goes
back only 300 messages.

Anyhow, I believe someone recommended 1and1 and someone recommended
something that is some kind of animal, but I forget which one...

Anyone?
Jeff Liebermann
2014-02-21 04:57:23 UTC
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:42:43 -0800, "David Kaye"
Post by David Kaye
Anyhow, I believe someone recommended 1and1 and someone recommended
something that is some kind of animal, but I forget which one...
That would be me. I'm currently using 1and1.com without any
difficulties or surprises. I previously also used Joker.com (in
Germany) but have moved all my domains to 1and1.com mostly for
administrative convenience. Since the cost of one screwup usually
exceeds any savings on the registration chargers, I look for
reliability, not price. I've had to help friends using Go Daddy
domain and hosting which is why I avoid them.

Transferring my various domains from Joker.com was fairly painless.
<http://www.1and1.com/domain-transfer>
Where it screwed up was that all the CNAME records transferred
perfectly, but my collection of aliases were lost because 1and1 treats
them the same:
<http://help.1and1.com/domains-c36931/domain-administration-c79822/dns-settings-c37586/enter-a-cname-record-for-your-domain-a643600.html>

Some threads in ba.internet on the topic:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/ba.internet/domain$201and1/ba.internet/GqcTvEskBD4/2Mr2j-9Sd0gJ>
<htt
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Thad Floryan
2014-02-21 05:49:45 UTC
[...]
Recommendations? I was looking for the past thread on the topic but I can't
seem to find it, though it appears that my eternal-september account goes
back only 300 messages.
[...]
The oldest article in ba.internet for which the body can still be
retrieved at eternal-september at this moment is dated

'Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:48:41 -0700'

which is 188 days ago per one of my programs:

*ty @date - @cal"8/16/2013"
188

Article headers,however, go back to '4/23/2010 11:28AM'.

At 47 articles per page (in Tbird) and page-skipping back to the
'8/18/2013 8:48 AM' date is 23 pages, so 47 * 23 = 1081 articles.

2014-02-21 07:16:02 UTC
[...]
Recommendations? I was looking for the past thread on the topic but I can't
seem to find it, though it appears that my eternal-september account goes
back only 300 messages.
[...]
I haven't used Google Groups in years (ever since they hosed it like
Yahoo destroyed Yahoo Groups during August 2013 with the NEO abortion)
noting ba.internet is archived by Google:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ba.internet

so it "should" be searchable without having or needed an account as I
just discovered.

Thad
Eli the Bearded
2014-02-25 22:43:39 UTC
Recommendations? I was looking for the past thread on the topic but I can't
seem to find it, though it appears that my eternal-september account goes
back only 300 messages.
My usage needs are different than yours, but I'm using namecheap.com
now. It has consensus support in the panix.* internal user groups,
which you can't read on eternal-september. They were recently (earlier
this month) having a promotion where they'd donate some amount of
money to the EFF for each domain switched to them. I like that bit.

Elijah
------
the namecheap.com site is easier on the eyes than godaddy.com