A thin lifeline for XP users: New Malwarebytes suite will support the older OS
2014-03-24 21:36:49 UTC
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2110009/a-thin-lifeline-for-xp-users-new-malwarebytes-suite-will-support-the-older-os.html
David Kaye
2014-03-25 01:11:25 UTC
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2110009/a-thin-lifeline-for-xp-users-new-malwarebytes-suite-will-support-the-older-os.html
Oh, these things annoy me so... "(Not that we're encouraging anyone to stick
with Windows XP. Cyber criminals are ready and waiting to pounce on the
holdouts. There are some things you can do to protect your XP machine, but
most people should upgrade to Windows 7/8, or consider Linux as an
alternative safe haven. Microsoft's campaign to move everyone off Windows XP
involves increasingly lucrative enticements.)"

First, I doubt that criminals are waiting to pounce on people continuing to
use XP. They go where the money is, and right now that appears to be Linux
servers.

As for moving to Linux, I still say that it's not ready for prime time
unless the user is doing browsing and word processing only. Yeah, I know
there's lots of open source software out there, but we're still talking
about a compatible world, and few users are going to use software
incompatible to Windows or Mac.

Now, I've had customers who wanted Linux, and I've installed Ubuntu on 3
desktops and Easy Peasy on 2 netbooks and one laptop. Flawless, especially
Easy Peasy. Ubuntu had endless updates and has been confusing to the users,
but then they were using office suites and had compatibility issues. Thank
goodness the wi-fi drivers for Ubuntu have gotten better because that was
the biggest bugaboo (a technical term) for earlier Ubuntu installations.
jonz
2014-03-25 02:12:51 UTC
[...]
OMG this is a first. I am having a hard time believing that I actually
concur with David Kaye. One of us must be slipping.

Jonz