http://www.sonic.net/
me at
2015-01-26 23:25:56 UTC

2015-01-27 00:13:25 UTC

2015-01-27 05:11:08 UTC

San Mateo, CA 94403
David Kaye
2015-01-27 06:15:24 UTC
Post by me at
Anyone else having trouble with
http://www.sonic.net/
the last couple days.
Since maybe Thursday?
No trouble except for the extraordinary load times due to their total
revamping of the site and the bloated collection of Javascript they're using
and all the stylesheet stuff, and goodness knows what's on the other side of
the stylesheets that we don't see.

I never thought I'd see Sonic go the bloated webpage route. Maybe it looks
cooler on people's iPhones and tablets or something. All I know is that
Sonic.net used to load in 5 seconds, and this time it took the better part
of 25 to 30 seconds to load.

I still go by the Google philosophy: Keep the pages simple and easy to load
on any browser.

me at
2015-01-27 12:47:02 UTC
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:15:24 -0800 David Kaye <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
| "me at" <***@is.invalid> wrote
|
|> Anyone else having trouble with
|> http://www.sonic.net/
|> the last couple days.
|> Since maybe Thursday?
|
| No trouble except for the extraordinary load times due to their total
| revamping of the site and the bloated collection of Javascript they're using
| and all the stylesheet stuff, and goodness knows what's on the other side of
| the stylesheets that we don't see.
|
| I never thought I'd see Sonic go the bloated webpage route. Maybe it looks
| cooler on people's iPhones and tablets or something. All I know is that
| Sonic.net used to load in 5 seconds, and this time it took the better part
| of 25 to 30 seconds to load.
|
| I still go by the Google philosophy: Keep the pages simple and easy to load
| on any browser.

Maybe that is part of it. It works fine at home, but both the wife and I have trouble from our work computers.
Could it be our companies have started blocking something?
Or maybe or companies have always blocked a certain something that sonic recently began using?
It works this morning from home without VPN.
Turn on the VPN to work and it fails.
When did the new home page start?

Thanks,

Vic
me at
2015-01-27 12:55:26 UTC
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:47:02 +0000 (UTC) me at <***@is.invalid> wrote:
| Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:15:24 -0800 David Kaye <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
| | "me at" <***@is.invalid> wrote
| |
| |> Anyone else having trouble with
| |> http://www.sonic.net/
| |> the last couple days.
| |> Since maybe Thursday?
| |
| | No trouble except for the extraordinary load times due to their total
| | revamping of the site and the bloated collection of Javascript they're using
| | and all the stylesheet stuff, and goodness knows what's on the other side of
| | the stylesheets that we don't see.
| |
| | I never thought I'd see Sonic go the bloated webpage route. Maybe it looks
| | cooler on people's iPhones and tablets or something. All I know is that
| | Sonic.net used to load in 5 seconds, and this time it took the better part
| | of 25 to 30 seconds to load.
| |
| | I still go by the Google philosophy: Keep the pages simple and easy to load
| | on any browser.
|

| Maybe that is part of it. It works fine at home, but both the wife and I have trouble from our work computers.
| Could it be our companies have started blocking something?
| Or maybe or companies have always blocked a certain something that sonic recently began using?
| It works this morning from home without VPN.
| Turn on the VPN to work and it fails.
| When did the new home page start?

It was down initially but VPN had been on all night. I kiled
VPN and it worked. I restarted VPN and it is still up. I think
it has something to do with tthe places we work and maybe the new
sonic web site if that began last week.
Vic
me at
2015-01-27 13:03:51 UTC
Wish they still had the usenet groups.
Vic
Eric Weaver
2015-01-27 14:31:38 UTC
Huh? I'm reading this very group via their NNTP server. And posting to it.
me at
2015-01-27 18:22:43 UTC
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 06:31:38 -0800 Eric Weaver <***@sigma.net> wrote:
| On 01/27/2015 05:03 AM, me at wrote:
|> Wish they still had the usenet groups.
|>

| Huh? I'm reading this very group via their NNTP server. And posting to it.

They dropped the sonic hierarchy, sonic.general...

Vic
Keith Keller
2015-01-27 15:47:44 UTC
Post by me at
Wish they still had the usenet groups.
You can always get a free usenet account at eternal-september.org. I
did back when they talked about dropping usenet support (which was a
long time ago; guess they decided against it).

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
me at
2015-01-27 18:24:30 UTC
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 07:47:44 -0800 Keith Keller <kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
| On 2015-01-27, me at <***@is.invalid> wrote:
|>
|> Wish they still had the usenet groups.

| You can always get a free usenet account at eternal-september.org. I
| did back when they talked about dropping usenet support (which was a
| long time ago; guess they decided against it).

Posting from panix.com, a great ISP, the best, maybe I should move my hosting to them.
Vic
b***@MIX.COM
2015-01-30 04:12:22 UTC
Post by me at
They dropped the sonic hierarchy, sonic.general...
Posting from panix.com, a great ISP, the best, maybe I should
move my hosting to them.
Usenet service at Panix is excellent, and the panix.* hierarchy is
alive and well. I'd also bet big money it will never be replaced by
some crappy www-based "forum." I will probably be moving there when
my current Postmaster/Hostmaster retires (about another year). It
depends on what I wind up doing to deal with spam. I get massive
amounts of it as I've had the same email adress since well before
junk mail existed.

I was also quite surprised to see Sonic.NET redirect to Sonic.COM.
Evidently Sonic Solutions has died. I know Toast has. It's still
being sold, but don't waste your money on the newer releases...

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
bcc 20$ ; not a number
me at
2015-01-31 14:25:10 UTC
Pronblem went away.
Problem was intermitent. Never figured it out.
Maybe the suggestion to clear cache did it?
Thanks for the hints.

Vic

Kevin McMurtrie
2015-01-28 05:04:02 UTC
Post by me at
Hi,
Anyone else having trouble with
http://www.sonic.net/
the last couple days.
Since maybe Thursday?
Thanks,
Vic
Clear cache and try again?

Their home page redirects to https://www.sonic.com now. Your web
browser may be prefetching many old http://www.sonic.net/ resources in
parallel before it has the new home page loaded, and then getting
confused.
--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.