Google Taking Down City-Wide Mountain View Wi-Fi Network
sms
2014-02-25 00:10:34 UTC
<http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/ci_25205700/google-proposes-new-wi-fi-system-mountain-view>

A very misleading headline. Google is decommissioning the city-wide
Wi-Fi in Mountain View, leaving only downtown with coverage.

Google doesn't want to affect sales of Google Fiber once it's deployed.
Roy
2014-02-25 00:34:17 UTC
Post by sms
<http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/ci_25205700/google-proposes-new-wi-fi-system-mountain-view>
A very misleading headline. Google is decommissioning the city-wide
Wi-Fi in Mountain View, leaving only downtown with coverage.
Google doesn't want to affect sales of Google Fiber once it's deployed.
Google will just abandon fiber the same way when it becomes obsolete.
Then Mountain View will buy the fiber system at an outrageous price.
David Kaye
2014-02-25 02:21:36 UTC
Yep, that sounds like the Evil Empire.
Thad Floryan
2014-02-25 03:36:28 UTC
[...]
Google will just abandon fiber the same way when it becomes obsolete.
Uh, OK. What you do see obsoleting fiber in the foreseeable future, say
10-15 years)?

Interdimensional quantum tunneling using encoded dark energy flowing at
faster-than-light speed through dark matter interconnects and routed by
the black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy)?

:-)
Post by Roy
Then Mountain View will buy the fiber system at an outrageous price.
That I can believe given the Mountain View city council rarely reads what
they're voting on and most decisions made by them are in direct opposition
to their constituents' desires, needs and wants; here's one for-instance:

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/02/12/city-council-votes-to-ban-styrofoam-containers

As a number of the Reader Comments to that article say:

Once again our City Council wishes to take out the big stick and
tell us whats good for us.

Do they really not believe that we as consumers can make an
informed decision. I personally do not use any form of styrofoam
cup or container. The free market and consumers concerns will
tell stores and restaurants what to use.

Most, not all, of this council are amateurs and the sooner
Bryant, Abi-Koga, Kasperzak & Siegel are termed out the better.

2014-02-25 05:53:46 UTC
[...]
Google will just abandon fiber the same way when it becomes obsolete.
Uh, OK. What you do see obsoleting fiber in the foreseeable future, say
10-15 years)?

What obsoleted the Wifi network? Radio waves got tired? Its not
obsolete; it wasn't maintained.

I tried to connect to the city wifi system where I live and couldn't.
After numerous emails that weren't answered, I heard back that the guy
who ran the network was gone and there is no one to replace him because
of budget cuts. The city has no idea if the network is working and there
is no one who cares.
Thad Floryan
2014-02-25 06:29:52 UTC
[...]
Google will just abandon fiber the same way when it becomes obsolete.
Uh, OK. What you do see obsoleting fiber in the foreseeable future, say
10-15 years)?
What obsoleted the Wifi network? Radio waves got tired? Its not
obsolete; it wasn't maintained.
Hi Roy,

BINGO!

All infrastructure needs maintenance of some sort. Ideally, for
WiFi, just verifying it's up and running would be the minimum. I
wonder if bits and pieces were gradually being "liberated" thus
leading to the dysfunction.
Post by Roy
I tried to connect to the city wifi system where I live and couldn't.
After numerous emails that weren't answered, I heard back that the guy
who ran the network was gone and there is no one to replace him because
of budget cuts. The city has no idea if the network is working and there
is no one who cares.
Sigh. And this is Silicon Valley. :-(

From observations over the years, it seems Google quickly tires of things
that don't contribute directly to their bottom line.

Presently Google is experimenting with WiFi-enabled balloons and that seems
to be what interests them. Googling "google wifi balloons" finds these
among many other hits noting the first hit is the Mountain View newspaper:

Google plan would beam WiFi from the sky - Mountain View Voice
http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/01/30/google-plan-would-beam-wifi-from-the-sky

Balloon-Powered Wifi - google.com?
http://www.google.com/loon

Project Loon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

Project Loon: Google's Wi-Fi Balloons for the World - YouTube
runtime 2:21

Google Wants to Use Balloons to Cover the World in Wi-Fi - Gizmodo
http://gizmodo.com/google-wants-to-use-balloons-to-cover-the-world-in-wi-f-513537918

Google starts testing its 'Wi-Fi balloons' in California - BGR.com
http://bgr.com/2013/08/09/google-project-loon-tests/

Google's Wi-Fi Balloons to Travel Thrice Around World | Gadgets ...
http://www.indiatimes.com/technology/gadgets/googles-wifi-balloons-to-travel-thrice-around-world-111778.html

2014-02-25 07:38:24 UTC
[...]
Google plan would beam WiFi from the sky - Mountain View Voice
http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/01/30/google-plan-would-beam-wifi-from-the-sky
[...]
There's one flaw with Project Loon: where are they going to get the helium
to "float" the balloons?

Why Is There a Helium Shortage? - Popular Mechanics
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/med-tech/why-is-there-a-helium-shortage-10031229
June 25, 2012 12:06 PM

US Congress acts to avert helium shortage - Phys.org
http://phys.org/news/2013-09-congress-avert-helium-shortage.html
Sep 26, 2013

The USA's helium preserve will soon be empty.

Thad
Keith Keller
2014-02-25 16:39:58 UTC
From observations over the years, it seems Google quickly tires of things
that don't contribute directly to their bottom line.
Isn't this true for most commercial businesses?

--keith
--
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
SMS
2014-02-25 18:05:10 UTC
From observations over the years, it seems Google quickly tires of things
that don't contribute directly to their bottom line.
Yes, but fiber, at $70 per month will contribute to their bottom line.
Once they spend the enormous amount of money to deploy fiber they are
not going to want to abandon it so soon.

Google sees themselves as a competitor to Comcast. Everyone hates
Comcast. Everyone loves Google. They will have users lining up for FTTH
service.
SMS
2014-02-25 17:56:31 UTC
I tried to connect to the city wifi system where I live and couldn't.
After numerous emails that weren't answered, I heard back that the guy
who ran the network was gone and there is no one to replace him because
of budget cuts. The city has no idea if the network is working and there
is no one who cares.
Obviously Google could not keep a free Wi-Fi network running while at
the same time trying to sell fiber service to the same people using the
free Wi-Fi.

I suspect that like most municipal Wi-Fi systems the speeds ended up
being very slow as usage increased. Why pay for DSL or broadband cable
service when you can get free Wi-Fi, unless the Wi-Fi is unbearably slow.

What will keep Google from abandoning fiber is that it's a for-profit
service, not a free service. Ultimately, Google sees themselves as a
competitor to Comcast and satellite providers. Comcast's share price
continues to fall since the Google announcement.
Roy
2014-02-25 22:39:34 UTC
Post by SMS
Post by Roy
[...]
Just some clarifications:

The city wifi I spoke about is not Mountain View and is not run by Google.

When I said I couldn't connect, I didn't mean to the Internet. I meant
to the wifi node. My radio would connect to the AP and then the ASP
would immediately disconnect.

SMS
2014-02-25 18:02:43 UTC
[...]
Post by Roy
Then Mountain View will buy the fiber system at an outrageous price.
That I can believe given the Mountain View city council rarely reads what
they're voting on and most decisions made by them are in direct opposition
http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/02/12/city-council-votes-to-ban-styrofoam-containers
Once again our City Council wishes to take out the big stick and
tell us whats good for us.
Do they really not believe that we as consumers can make an
informed decision. I personally do not use any form of styrofoam
cup or container. The free market and consumers concerns will
tell stores and restaurants what to use.
Most, not all, of this council are amateurs and the sooner
Bryant, Abi-Koga, Kasperzak & Siegel are termed out the better.
Thad
The decisions by city councils to ban plastic bags and Styrofoam
containers are not driven by what people write to the editors of
newspapers. Cities have specific reductions in waste that they are
required to meet. They are going after the most obvious sources first,
and these also happen to be very visible sources of litter.

Restaurants and stores do not want to be at a competitive disadvantage
with each other. There is a race to the bottom if there is no legislation.

A restaurant I go to in San Jose has switched to the non-Styrofoam
containers. There were no price increases as a result, apparently they
decided to absorb the extra few cents per container for now. If they
raise their prices by 5¢ to cover the container cost I'd be glad to pay
it and since all their competitors have the same new cost no one is at a
disadvantage, unless a patron wants to go to a different city to save a
few cents.