Cupertino to get super-fast broadband service
2014-08-20 14:46:16 UTC
AT&T is set to announce Wednesday it will bring super-fast broadband
service, dubbed GigaPower, to Apple's hometown. It promises download
speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second, which is fast enough to download a
high-definition movie in half a minute and is 100 times faster than the
connection in the average American home.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26368051/cupertino-get-super-fast-broadband-service
poldy
2014-08-21 02:58:36 UTC
In article
Post by Roy
AT&T is set to announce Wednesday it will bring super-fast broadband
service, dubbed GigaPower, to Apple's hometown. It promises download
speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second, which is fast enough to download a
high-definition movie in half a minute and is 100 times faster than the
connection in the average American home.
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26368051/cupertino-get-super-fast-broad
band-service
Was coming here to post that.

Don't know what the pricing will be. Hope they have some double-play
bundles with TV and offer support for CableCard DVRs.

I'm locked in a contract with Comcast until next year. Should have an
idea by then what this AT&T Gigapower service is like.

I had U-Verse for a few years, the 6 Mbps service. Was never tempted to
ever sign on to their TV offerings back then.

It wasn't cheaper and the picture quality for HD was reputed to be the
worst out of cable, satellite and U-verse.

It still wouldn't be the ideal competitive conditions but it definitely
increases the competition. Comcast just doubled my DL speeds without
any additional charges.

Still would like to see Google bring GoogleFiber here as well.

The more the merrier.
Kristian M Zoerhoff
2014-08-22 05:14:04 UTC
Post by poldy
In article
Post by Roy
[...]
Speaking of which, a U-Verse salesdude came to the door yesterday and talked
to the wife while I was at work. He was pushing a TV bundle that included 45
Mbps internet, vs. the 12-16 I get on my U-Verse phone/internet bundle
today, but he was really, really pushy, so my wife told him to come back,
which he didn't. I'm also concerned about the picture quality, though being
on Dish I'm probably at the lower end of the spectrum already.

I am apparently close enough to the VRAD to get 45 Mbps, though I never got
to ask if pair bonding would be required (the house is reasonably new, ca.
2000, and was wired for 2 lines, so there should be 4 pairs available).
--
Kristian M Zoerhoff