Private Cloud Vendors
2015-01-18 04:13:05 UTC
I am trying to identify vendors who can host a private cloud network that
meets these requirements:

* We need to be able to configure a virtual firewall at the front of the
network that we manage.

* The virtual firewall needs to support very large numbers of separate
network segments, so we can totally isolate servers on their own segments.
We don't want to do segmentation in a switch.

* The virtual firewall needs to support two factor authentication for remote
logins

* We don't want to be charged for any traffic that does not pass through our
virtual firewall. We have a concern that in data centers you are the
target of hackers who then end up boosting your 95% data usage to much
higher levels than what you really use.

* We want to run the virtual machines on VMWare, so there would need to be
tools for us to upload and download our virtual machines as VMWare images.

* Ideal would be the ability to make snapshots of the virtual machine and
save the last N states, to allow for recovery options.

* We don't want the best money can buy. We want the cheapest vendor that
provides acceptable throughput and service. We have a small amount of
traffic.

What are some good options?
Eric Weaver
2015-01-19 17:17:57 UTC
Post by W
[...]
Well, it appears possible to import VMWare images into Amazon's Elastic
Compute Cloud (EC2) and I'm pretty sure it meets the other criteria,
though there'd be some setup for the two-factor auth on the virtual
firewall. You can set up IP-Sec VPNs and stuff to a Virtual Private
Cloud with multiple subnets.

There's one data-point.