Nayas Admits Errors, Promises to Be Honest Going Forward, Switches to Verizon
SMS
2006-04-01 15:42:55 UTC
Nayas Admits Errors, Promises to Be Honest Going Forward, Switches to
Verizon
April 1, 2006, 9:22 AM source: APN

John Nayas, who has gained a reputation on Usenet newsgroups as the most
dishonest poster of the 21st century, announced today that he's turning
over a new leaf, and from now on will post only verifiable facts. Nayas
stated, "It was fun being the devils advocate, but I think that people
got tired of of me posting incorrect information day, after day...it
just got really old."

Nayas, who's become famous for his content-free responses when he's
unable to counter referenced facts, said that he apologizes for his
habit of posting one-liners consisting of "Rubbish," "Nonsense," "Good
Scramble," "Not True," etc., when backed into a corner. "It was
childish," he admitted, "I've grown up and will now gracefully admit my
mistakes."

When asked why he's been defending Cingular for so many years, almost
always with false statements, he simply shrugged and stated, "I felt bad
for them, I always root for the underdog. Cingular entered the wireless
game very late in my area, they got stuck with 1900 Mhz, and they
finally had to buy AT&T Wireless in order to solve their coverage
problems. They constantly get hammered in all the independent surveys of
cellular coverage and quality. Someone had to make up stories to counter
the facts, and I took on that responsibility."

Nayas confirmed that he is changing his wireless carrier from Cingular
to Verizon, because he's had no Cingular coverage at his home for the
past 6 years, "I put on a good show, and fooled a lot of people, but I'm
tired of having to drive three miles in order to make a call." He
continued, "people always get my voice mail, and think that my phone is
off, but in reality I'm home, and I have to retrieve my Cingular voice
mail from my land-line. Verizon has great coverage at my house, and I'll
finally be able to use my phone on my sailboat."

Nayas also admitted that in reality he's a Democrat, and that believes
in open competition. He secretly deplored the 2005 FCC decision to
eliminate competition in the DSL market, and he is lobbying the FCC to
rescind their August 2005 decision. Nayas stated: "I used to always link
to studies from the Hoover Institution, until someone informed me about
their political bias, and their connections to big business. Wow! I was
surprised, as I've had nothing but good service from their cleaning
appliances."

Nayas also promised to fix his Cingular FAQ on Wikipedia, which contains
hundreds of incorrect statements.
jc
2006-04-01 16:25:46 UTC
Post by SMS
[...]
you guy's are Funny
the best
better than XM comedy
thanks
Tinman
2006-04-01 17:18:26 UTC
Post by jc
Post by SMS
Nayas also promised to fix his Cingular FAQ on Wikipedia, which contains
hundreds of incorrect statements.
you guy's are Funny
the best
better than XM comedy
Watching someone disintegrate due to Alzheimer's is not really funny.
It's pathetic.

Repeatedly stating the same incorrect information, forgetting which
thread one was last eviscerated in, ignoring basic laws of physics,
"forgetting" about large swaths of the Bay area, disregarding Occam's
Razor (not a pun!) in favor of convoluted "user error" theories--all the
signs were there. OK, maybe in this case it was funny.

It's only a matter of time before his accurate-to-a-micro-millimeter GPS
leads him to Gilligan's Island (in search of the only Cingular coverage
hole). One can only hope his visit lasts longer than the series...

Have a nice day!
Mike
Strongbox
2006-04-01 17:42:44 UTC
Post by SMS
Nayas Admits Errors, Promises to Be Honest Going Forward, Switches to
Verizon
April 1, 2006, 9:22 AM source: APN
John Nayas, who has gained a reputation on Usenet newsgroups as the most
dishonest poster of the 21st century, announced today that he's turning
over a new leaf, and from now on will post only verifiable facts. Nayas
stated, "It was fun being the devils advocate, but I think that people
got tired of of me posting incorrect information day, after day...it
just got really old."
If you're going to make up stuff, at least get the guy's name right. It's
NAVAS.
Tinman
2006-04-01 17:56:31 UTC
Post by Strongbox
Post by SMS
Nayas Admits Errors, Promises to Be Honest Going Forward, Switches to
Verizon
April 1, 2006, 9:22 AM source: APN
John Nayas, who has gained a reputation on Usenet newsgroups as the most
dishonest poster of the 21st century, announced today that he's turning
over a new leaf, and from now on will post only verifiable facts. Nayas
stated, "It was fun being the devils advocate, but I think that people
got tired of of me posting incorrect information day, after day...it
just got really old."
If you're going to make up stuff, at least get the guy's name right. It's
NAVAS.
Wow, you are a freakin' genius! Or not.

<whoosh>
Mike
SMS
2006-04-01 19:10:50 UTC
NTP Backs Out of RIM Settlement, wants more money

Details at "http://www.phonescoop.com/"
Jeff Liebermann
2006-04-01 19:56:57 UTC
Post by SMS
NTP Backs Out of RIM Settlement, wants more money
Details at "http://www.phonescoop.com/"
Click on the "full story" link.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
SMS
2006-04-02 03:38:15 UTC
Well of course you have to do this. I didn't want to give away the joke!
DecaturTxCowboy
2006-04-01 22:30:37 UTC
Post by Strongbox
If you're going to make up stuff, at least get the guy's name right. It's
NAVAS.
Check you Sunday newspaper supplement for discount coupons for the Clue
Store.
Notan
2006-04-01 22:40:35 UTC
Post by DecaturTxCowboy
Post by Strongbox
If you're going to make up stuff, at least get the guy's name right. It's
NAVAS.
Check you Sunday newspaper supplement for discount coupons for the Clue
Store.
For whatever reason, the Sunday Supplement came with today's paper,
but was labeled, "Friday's Supplement."

It's all *very* confusing.

Notan
Scott
2006-04-01 21:54:28 UTC
Happy April Fool's Day to you, too, Steve.
John Navas
2006-04-03 18:45:30 UTC
[SNIP]
My goodness, Steven, that's an amazing amount of time and effort by someone
that professes to ignore me. :) Guess I must have really touched a nerve.
Was is because of exposing some of your wilder claims? How wrong you were
about Radio Shack? NTP vs. RIM? Cingular GSM migration? Some other wild
claim? All of the above? :)
--
Best regards, SEE THE FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS AT
John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>
Tinman
2006-04-03 18:52:16 UTC
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:45:30 GMT, John Navas
Post by John Navas
[SNIP]
My goodness, Steven, that's an amazing amount of time and effort by someone
that professes to ignore me. :) Guess I must have really touched a nerve.
Was is because of exposing some of your wilder claims? How wrong you were
about Radio Shack?
ROFLMAO!

RadioShack Shares Hit Low on Downgrade
APR. 3 10:26 A.M. ET
Shares of RadioShack Corp. hit a 52-week low on Monday after an analyst
said the electronics retailer's transition to selling Cingular products
appeared to be "more difficult" than expected, and downgraded the
stock...
"http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8GOJ1BG0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db"

You are at least useful for entertainment value, John. Really, you
should go into comedy or something...

Have a nice day.
Mike
SMS
2006-04-03 18:59:49 UTC
Post by John Navas
[SNIP]
My goodness, Steven, that's an amazing amount of time and effort by someone
that professes to ignore me. :) Guess I must have really touched a nerve.
Was is because of exposing some of your wilder claims? How wrong you were
about Radio Shack?
ROFLMAO!
RadioShack Shares Hit Low on Downgrade
APR. 3 10:26 A.M. ET
Shares of RadioShack Corp. hit a 52-week low on Monday after an analyst
said the electronics retailer's transition to selling Cingular products
appeared to be "more difficult" than expected, and downgraded the
stock...
"http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8GOJ1BG0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db"
You are at least useful for entertainment value, John. Really, you
should go into comedy or something...
Radio Shack is closing 480 stores, their stock has been downgraded
because of the loss of Verizon wireless sales, and has hit a 52 week
low. No way to spin this into something positive, but I expect that
he'll try.
John Navas
2006-04-03 19:08:37 UTC
Post by John Navas
[...]
Hardly positive. Radio is the victim of its own mismanagement, and is on a
long downhill slide. As shown in my other response here, problems stem in
part from poor sales of *Verizon* in *2005*. Switching to Cingular is
actually part of the turnaround plan. No matter how you try to spin it.
Jeff Liebermann
2006-04-03 23:57:02 UTC
Post by John Navas
Switching to Cingular is
actually part of the turnaround plan. No matter how you try to spin it.
I had a funny thing happen to my while buying some parts at the Scotts
Valley Radio Shock store on Saturday. I was looking at the broshures
for Nextel-Sprint, trying to decode the coverage area maps and service
offers. The sales person shuffles up and asks if I need assistance
and without missing a beat, offers to shove me in the direction of the
Cingular display. I indicated that I wasn't interested in Cingular
and wanted to see if Nextel-Sprint had coverage in my area. I knew
that it did not, but wanted to see if there were any plans on the
maps. So, I asked about coverage in San Lorenzo Valley, and was told
that Cingular covers that area quite well. I again indicated that I
wasn't interested in Cingular and asked what was their problem with
Nextel-Sprint. The answer was something like "Doesn't matter because
Cingular is better".

My crystal ball tells me that not only are there problems selling
Verizon, but Nextel-Sprint may shortly follow. Please treat this as
one of my anecdotal rumors.

Incidentally, the junk flush cutting diagonal cutters I purchased for
$5 were dull out of the box. They couldn't even cut CAT5 wires
without mushrooming the ends. I had to file an edge, but it was dull
after about 10 cuts. Not even hardened steel. The previous model
flush cutters were much better, sharp, and cheaper.
John Navas
2006-04-04 00:36:48 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by John Navas
[...]
You're actually right on the money -- Sprint-Nextel have also been
disappointing for Radio Shack:

<http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060112/radioshack_outlook.html?.v=3>

The retailer expected its Verizon sales to dip but was disappointed that
sales of Sprint phones, which it heavily promoted, didn't rise enough to
make up the difference.

<http://www.mobilemodo.com/archives/2006/01/radioshack_wireless_sales_drop.html>

Sprint's merger with Nextel last August evidently did not provide the big
increase in sales that they both were expecting.
John Navas
2006-04-03 19:05:40 UTC
Post by John Navas
[SNIP]
My goodness, Steven, that's an amazing amount of time and effort by someone
that professes to ignore me. :) Guess I must have really touched a nerve.
Was is because of exposing some of your wilder claims? How wrong you were
about Radio Shack?
ROFLMAO!
RadioShack Shares Hit Low on Downgrade
APR. 3 10:26 A.M. ET
Shares of RadioShack Corp. hit a 52-week low on Monday after an analyst
said the electronics retailer's transition to selling Cingular products
appeared to be "more difficult" than expected, and downgraded the
stock...
"http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8GOJ1BG0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db"
Radio Shack dumped Verizon in favor of Cingular due to poor wireless results
in *2005*. It is the victim of its own poor management, not either wireless
carrier, and on a long downhill slide:

<http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/060112/113708679513.html?.v=1>

Motley Fool
RadioShack Losing Power
Thursday January 12, 12:26 pm ET

It's been a tough year for the Shack. Almost a year ago to the day,
the company said it was confident that it would see 20% earnings
growth over 2004's results, but the euphoria was short-lived. Just
two months later, the company's sales fell; it realized that it would
miss its first-quarter forecasts, and possibly its full-year
predictions. It's been dialing down expectations all year long.

<http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/QuoteCompanyNewsArticle.aspx?storyID=...>

LIFTING THE LID: RadioShack under pressure after CEO admission
Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:48 PM ET

NEW YORK, Feb 17 (Reuters) - The code of conduct at RadioShack
Corp.(RSH.N: Quote, Profile, Research) is quite explicit. On its Web
site and under the name of its CEO David Edmondson the electronics
retailer says staff should "do the right thing, even when no one is
watching."

But after several days of negative news, much of it centered on
Edmondson's behavior and admission that he lied on his resume,
corporate governance experts are asking whether RadioShack and
Edmondson will stick to their own mantra.

"I don't know how you can characterize the tone at the top at this
company as encouraging accountability and doing the right thing when
nobody's looking if Mr. Edmondson continues as CEO, and there appears
to be no consequences for what he's done," said Beth Young, research
associate at The Corporate Library, a corporate governance research
group.

Earlier this week, Edmondson admitted that he "clearly" misstated his
academic record and that his resume was wrong. While he originally
said he received a Bachelor of Science degree, he now says he
believes he received a ThG diploma, awarded for completing a
three-year degree in theology, but adds that he cannot document that.

Edmondson, who was RadioShack's president and chief operating
officer, became chief executive officer last May.

The disclosure prompted the consumer electronics retailer's board to
hire a lawyer to investigate the matter.

The management issues were minimized on Friday, however, when the
company posted a 62 percent drop in quarterly profits and outlined a
plan to try to get its business back on track.

Senior executives then launched a roughly 3-hour long presentation,
broadcast over the Internet, discussing the earnings results and
turnaround plan, which could cost up to $100 million and close up to
700 stores.
Scott
2006-04-03 19:08:27 UTC
Post by John Navas
[SNIP]
My goodness, Steven, that's an amazing amount of time and effort by someone
that professes to ignore me. :) Guess I must have really touched a nerve.
Was is because of exposing some of your wilder claims? How wrong you were
about Radio Shack?
ROFLMAO!
RadioShack Shares Hit Low on Downgrade
APR. 3 10:26 A.M. ET
Shares of RadioShack Corp. hit a 52-week low on Monday after an analyst
said the electronics retailer's transition to selling Cingular products
appeared to be "more difficult" than expected, and downgraded the
stock...
"http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8GOJ1BG0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db"
Radio Shack dumped Verizon in favor of Cingular due to poor wireless results
in *2005*.
<snip the unrelated drivel>

And yet NONE of your cites back up this claim- how strange.
Scott
2006-04-03 19:05:05 UTC
Post by John Navas
[SNIP]
My goodness, Steven, that's an amazing amount of time and effort by someone
that professes to ignore me. :) Guess I must have really touched a nerve.
Was is because of exposing some of your wilder claims? How wrong you were
about Radio Shack? NTP vs. RIM? Cingular GSM migration? Some other wild
claim? All of the above? :)
Or could it be that he wrote this for the amusement of those of us who
recognize you for the buffoon you truly are?