Which online forum most nearly replaces ba.internet?
Glenn Geller
2018-04-21 18:58:38 UTC
Activity on this Usenet group has slowed to a
microtrickle.

Which online forum anywhere most nearly replaces
ba.internet?

And the answer might be, "There is none."
n***@sbcglobal.net
Someone could start a Groups.io group. Yahoo Groups is dying as Verizon doesn't seem to want it around. They seem to keep shutting access down every couple of days and a lot people don't like the Oath terms and conditions.
Julian Macassey
2018-04-22 19:34:42 UTC
Post by Glenn Geller
Activity on this Usenet group has slowed to a
microtrickle.
Which online forum anywhere most nearly replaces
ba.internet?
And the answer might be, "There is none."
There is one, we are just depressed about what the net
has become.
--
“I think law enforcement should be difficult. And it should actually be
possible to break the law.” - Moxie Marlinspike, March RSA Conf' 2016
n***@sbcglobal.net
I think a lot of us in tech back in the early 1990s didn't think that the Internet (and computers in general) would be as much embraced by the public as they are now.
b***@MIX.COM
2018-06-01 03:15:08 UTC
Post by n***@sbcglobal.net
Post by Julian Macassey
Activity on this Usenet group has slowed to a microtrickle.
Which online forum anywhere most nearly replaces ba.internet?
And the answer might be, "There is none."
There is one, we are just depressed about what the net
has become.
The local newsgroups at Panix are still interesting reading. Paid
access via a NetBSD shell account ($100/year) is required. I think
it's well worth it. http://Panix.COM
Post by n***@sbcglobal.net
I think a lot of us in tech back in the early 1990s didn't think
that the Internet (and computers in general) would be as much
embraced by the public as they are now.
Heh. Back then we all had three-letter domains and there were
plenty of them left over...

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
bcc 20$ ; not a number
Eli the Bearded
2018-06-01 05:27:33 UTC
Post by b***@MIX.COM
The local newsgroups at Panix are still interesting reading. Paid
access via a NetBSD shell account ($100/year) is required. I think
it's well worth it. http://Panix.COM
Yeah, but I wouldn't ask ba.specific questions there.

Elijah
------
plenty of three letter domains left in the new TLDs
me at
2018-06-02 23:08:48 UTC
Thu, 31 May 2018 22:27:33 Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
| In ba.internet, <***@MIX.COM> wrote:
|> The local newsgroups at Panix are still interesting reading. Paid
|> access via a NetBSD shell account ($100/year) is required. I think
|> it's well worth it. http://Panix.COM
|
| Yeah, but I wouldn't ask ba.specific questions there.
|
| Elijah
| ------
| plenty of three letter domains left in the new TLDs

Plenty of sfbay folks at panix, Everyone is at panix so
ba.interent is unnecessary. Only old guys shell, no shellers at
google and facebook. I work with a bunch of 30 somethings. They
catch me using vi, "what's that" and reading email with mutt...
usenet is dieing. Everything is forums.

Has eternal September come to an end?

A favorite quote..........

You used to have to figure out enough DOS to get to a UNIX
server. Then figure out enough UNIX to get to the Internet.
Now we have foolproof software all over.
Do you know the purpose of foolproof software?
(to get more fools on the net)
- Gandalf Parker
me at
2018-06-02 23:14:56 UTC
Sat, 02 Jun 2018 16:08:48 me at <***@is.invalid> wrote:
| Thu, 31 May 2018 22:27:33 Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
| | In ba.internet, <***@MIX.COM> wrote:
| |> The local newsgroups at Panix are still interesting reading. Paid
| |> access via a NetBSD shell account ($100/year) is required. I think
| |> it's well worth it. http://Panix.COM
| |
| | Yeah, but I wouldn't ask ba.specific questions there.
| |
| | Elijah
| | ------
| | plenty of three letter domains left in the new TLDs
|

| Plenty of sfbay folks at panix, Everyone is at panix so
| ba.interent is unnecessary. Only old guys shell, no shellers at
| google and facebook. I work with a bunch of 30 somethings. They
| catch me using vi, "what's that" and reading email with mutt...
| usenet is dieing. Everything is forums.
|
| Has eternal September come to an end?
|
| A favorite quote..........
|
| You used to have to figure out enough DOS to get to a UNIX
| server. Then figure out enough UNIX to get to the Internet.
| Now we have foolproof software all over.
| Do you know the purpose of foolproof software?
| (to get more fools on the net)
| - Gandalf Parker

Although I have to say, when I need to know something, usenet is still the place!
When we are gone they won't miss us and won't know what happened.
Vic
Julian Macassey
2018-06-03 22:45:55 UTC
Post by me at
Plenty of sfbay folks at panix, Everyone is at panix so
ba.interent is unnecessary. Only old guys shell, no shellers at
google and facebook. I work with a bunch of 30 somethings. They
catch me using vi, "what's that" and reading email with mutt...
usenet is dieing. Everything is forums.
Ah yes forums:

Q. I can't find a bra that fits

A. I'm a guy I don't wear bras.

Yup lots of useful info on forums.

Most forums are close to useless. Don't try flaming the idiots,
you will be punished for demanding useful responses.
Post by me at
Has eternal September come to an end?
It just continues, new clueless users are born every day.
--
"OBEDIENCE TO THE LAW IS FREEDOM" Sign over the entrance to the
Fort Dix Stockade (US Military prison) in 1969.
Eli the Bearded
2018-06-05 02:20:59 UTC
Post by me at
usenet is dieing. Everything is forums.
Most forums are close to useless. Don't try
flaming the idiots,
you will be punished for demanding useful responses.
Discourse has a pretty good model for fighting that, but you'd need to
find an install with your desired topic. I've heard some good things
about tildes.net, which aims to be a general Usenet / Reddit crossover
with Discourse-like earned moderation and voting plus Slashdot style
negative tagging (where funny is sometime negative). Plus an honest
funding model.

Access is still by invite and I have not joined yet, but it does give me
hope for a better future.

Elijah
------
has not been following Discourse development of late

John Slade
2018-05-23 22:25:59 UTC
Post by Glenn Geller
Activity on this Usenet group has slowed to a
microtrickle.
Which online forum anywhere most nearly replaces
ba.internet?
And the answer might be, "There is none."
DSLreports.com has a forum that is the closest thing I
can think of that replaces ba.interenet.

John